Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 08:28 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,960,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
The drug epidemic is nationwide and affecting rural communities as well as cities. The drugs need to be prevented from infiltrating, until then all of the US is going to be experiencing this. It's a crisis and trying to put the blame on needle programs is just ignorance. I remember staying in CA over 20 years ago and seeing the sharps boxes in the rest rooms everywhere, we are not alone in this.
Drugs are ingrained into our fabric. Urban, suburban and rural communities are impacted coast to coast. When it is all said and done the Opioid Epidemic rival or surpass the Crack Epidemic of the 90's. My agency works with ALL walks of life. There are so many children impacted by drugs not to mention the grand and great grandparent raising the children of addicts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 08:37 AM

1,913 posts, read 740,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Do you know why needles are given? Most of these derelicts are not from the city. These folk are from any and everywhere.

I’m not sure why this is news. The area has been a homeless encampment since at least the 80s. It’s has been bulldozed multiple times over the last few decades. Short memory or what?
They want them to stay addicts. It pleases the bribe-giving cartels.

Old 04-19-2023, 08:45 AM

1,913 posts, read 740,186 times
I watched a French documentary awhile back about the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan in the past year.

When we left 10% of the adult male population of Kabul were heroin addicts. They've rounded them up and forced them into cold turkey detox in a prison. They don't get out unless a family member will be accountable for them.They eradicated the poppy fields that we let flourish for 20 years. America encourages addiction, including the idiots running free needle programs in Pittsburgh.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:36 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
I watched a French documentary awhile back about the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan in the past year.

When we left 10% of the adult male population of Kabul were heroin addicts. They've rounded them up and forced them into cold turkey detox in a prison. They don't get out unless a family member will be accountable for them.They eradicated the poppy fields that we let flourish for 20 years. America encourages addiction, including the idiots running free needle programs in Pittsburgh.
They did it right. Jail and a year or two long detox is the only chance. Shame our leaders are so out of touch. Clear them out into jail, if people really cared. They have no lives as it is now and are a danger to good hard working productive people. They destroyed our downtown.

Old 04-19-2023, 11:07 AM

987 posts, read 280,466 times
Maybe if we throw people with cancer in jail, that would help too? It's all in their mind anyway. They have cancer because they want to have cancer. A few years in jail and not seeing their families might be just the push they need to get better.

Old 04-19-2023, 11:15 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Maybe if we throw people with cancer in jail, that would help too? It's all in their mind anyway. They have cancer because they want to have cancer. A few years in jail and not seeing their families might be just the push they need to get better.
Nah, but a hilarious strawman argument once again. Easy enough not to do drugs to begin with. Do stupid things pay the consequences…but how dare folks be expected to be responsible and accountable for their own actions, lol. Same for the dealers that don’t want to work for “chump change” and contribute to society and enable the drug problem that costs taxpayers huge money every year. Lock them up. Someone dies because of the drugs they sold them, capital punishment. Less criminals walking the streets the better it is.

Old 04-19-2023, 12:30 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Nah, but a hilarious strawman argument once again. Easy enough not to do drugs to begin with. Do stupid things pay the consequences…but how dare folks be expected to be responsible and accountable for their own actions, lol. Same for the dealers that don’t want to work for “chump change” and contribute to society and enable the drug problem that costs taxpayers huge money every year. Lock them up. Someone dies because of the drugs they sold them, capital punishment. Less criminals walking the streets the better it is.
To be fair it is very easy to become hooked on medications. Last year I was taking Zyrtec-D (pseudoephedrine) daily to combat my severe seasonal allergies. When I tried to stop taking them I ended up having terrible withdrawal systems that included being so itchy and scratching so much it was embarrassing and unbearable. I stopped cold turkey. I just started taking the pills daily again because of how bad my allergies have been (the air quality is miserable here), but I know if and when I try to stop taking them I will have those awful symptoms of withdrawal again.

If Zyrtec-D is the LEGAL stuff, too, then I can only imagine how hard it is to kick stronger stuff.

Old 04-19-2023, 12:40 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,504 times
It applies to both sides, some things do not fit the narratives.

Old 04-19-2023, 01:09 PM

987 posts, read 280,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Spoken like someone who has been lucky enough to not suffer from or be exposed so anyone who has addiction issues.

Old 04-19-2023, 02:53 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Spoken like someone who has been lucky enough to not suffer from or be exposed so anyone who has addiction issues.
On the contrary. Both drugs and alcohol. It’s all in how bad one wants to quit. Again, it’s all about being responsible to begin with, realizing having a problem and doing something about it. Just depends on how much one wants to quit…however, not putting oneself in that position to begin with won’t those problems make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
To be fair it is very easy to become hooked on medications. Last year I was taking Zyrtec-D (pseudoephedrine) daily to combat my severe seasonal allergies. When I tried to stop taking them I ended up having terrible withdrawal systems that included being so itchy and scratching so much it was embarrassing and unbearable. I stopped cold turkey. I just started taking the pills daily again because of how bad my allergies have been (the air quality is miserable here), but I know if and when I try to stop taking them I will have those awful symptoms of withdrawal again.

If Zyrtec-D is the LEGAL stuff, too, then I can only imagine how hard it is to kick stronger stuff.
Being able to realize the problem and do something about it is what’s most important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh