Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 05:10 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Tim Raines managed to get in despite drugs. Ferguson Jenkins managed to get in despite his possession of drugs (in Canada).
And Parker didn’t because of it, and there’s also players that are deserving with their play on the field, but due to steroid use and even accusations of it aren’t, while there’s others that are. There’s always exceptions to the rule. Big Papi got in while when his numbers were broken down were deemed not HOF worthy by many, but everyone loves Big Papi, so there’s that.

Do some research as you obviously don’t know his story as well as you may think. There’s a possible chance that you might learn something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 05:55 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Tim Raines managed to get in despite drugs. Ferguson Jenkins managed to get in despite his possession of drugs (in Canada).
Agreed. Everyone was on coke in 1979 if you had some money. Then the 80's! OMG! Parker should be in the HOF and I don't acknowledge the HOF because Parker isn't in it. He should have been the MVP in the ML's for two years in a row. Total BS. He was amazing!

Old 04-27-2023, 09:39 PM

1,170 posts, read 592,632 times
I had always thought Parker's exclusion was due to his connection to the Pirates drug scandals. But then Tim Raines got elected. According to Ken Burns at least, he slid into 2nd hands first, rather than feet first, because that wouldn't disturb the coke in his back pocket. I get the off the field issues are a matter of debate (hi Curt Schilling), but thats literally an on the field issue.

Dave Parker really did it all. Makes no sense.

Old 04-28-2023, 06:32 AM

1,913 posts, read 740,186 times
All those old Forbes Field guys remind me of Bob Prince. I had to look his name up it's been so long since I thought of him. As a kid in the summer, all the old men sat on their front porches with Bob Prince's voice counting the innings.

The longer you've been dead, the less they talk about you.

Old 04-28-2023, 06:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Back to the topic at hand, Dick Groat was one of 13 ever to play college basketball and baseball at an all American level. He played in the NBA and of course MLB. His stats are great. What an athlete. As a little kid I played golf with his brother at Champion Lakes. Groat himself shot in the 70’s often. My father knew him, but only from baseball in his youth. RIP Mr. Groat.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Groat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh