Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 06:30 AM

748 posts, read 339,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Yes. Most anyone would change that. Most people don't think that street crime and sh!tt!ng and shooting up in public are okay. Most people don't vote for District Attorney candidates who vow to not prosecute crime. All of these things are very abnormal, and that's why cities where such people have taken over are hemorrhaging population.
Most people want to solve problems in good faith. I said that the AM radio outrage machine doesn't. This includes their cable counterparts. Your disingenuous and bad faith take is noted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 06:31 AM

748 posts, read 339,455 times
I posted a relevant article yesterday - one because it was relevant and two, to help get the thread on topic of the restaurant and what is relevant about the industry, but I see that this is just another proxy crime thread.

Old 08-31-2023, 12:33 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
this: (from the trib right now)

cold chill shudders anyone? I dont want pit to be shreveport...but its heading there....
Huh? Allegheny County's unemployment rate is now 3.0% and is a record low. Butler County always does better than Allegheny County but is omitted for some reason from this article, so I would presume Butler County performs even better at around 2.8% unemployment---probably also a record low for Butler County. I am not sure how there being "too many jobs" would turn Pittsburgh into a dump like Shreveport?

Old 09-01-2023, 06:17 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Huh? Allegheny County's unemployment rate is now 3.0% and is a record low. Butler County always does better than Allegheny County but is omitted for some reason from this article, so I would presume Butler County performs even better at around 2.8% unemployment---probably also a record low for Butler County. I am not sure how there being "too many jobs" would turn Pittsburgh into a dump like Shreveport?
What is missing from these statistics is the actual number of jobs which are down.

Old 09-01-2023, 06:22 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_c55 View Post
I posted a relevant article yesterday - one because it was relevant and two, to help get the thread on topic of the restaurant and what is relevant about the industry, but I see that this is just another proxy crime thread.
The topic of the thread is how crime and other dysfunctional behavior are driving business out of downtown. What is the City, the Allegheny County Department of Human Services, and the agencies that they fund doing about this mess?

It doesn't help that the police arrest drug dealers downtown and judges let them out in a day or two.

Old 09-01-2023, 01:32 PM

10,846 posts, read 4,529,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

read what it SAID.

the number of people filing for UC bennies is low - that is ALL the unemployment rate is based on.

The number of people ACTUALLY working, is at a HISTORIC low and is still below pre-plague numbers. That is negative job growth.

so if you are telling me a long established bizness, is going under, because they have no clientele, in a place that is only active from 7am to 5pm....no advanced degrees needed to figure this one out.

there are plenty of jobs in every region around pittsburgh. the ubiquitous help wanted signs are approaching year 3 of being displayed - and unfilled.

GSIA is just down the street. they are NOT calling this a positive development for the pitt region (greater AND surrounding)

Old 09-02-2023, 08:06 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
The number of people ACTUALLY working, is at a HISTORIC low and is still below pre-plague numbers. That is negative job growth.
I think it is just how we are going to live in and around cities. Most places will be understaffed and we will get more used to poor and slow service. More lines and more like Russia. We should be happy we had it so good for so long. The bar of life is getting lower and lower in depressed cities like Pittsburgh. The inmates are truly running the asylum. People are going crazy with violence and just running around being fools with guns. Places are closing down. This is what "the people" wanted. There are these groups that if they see a minority being retrained physically by police because the criminal is fighting them, they will side with the criminal and go crazy over it. That never was the case in the past. Most would be happy there was a beatdown taking place because someone brought it on themselves. Now it is the police's fault. This style if very new and creating a very low bar of life for good law abiding people. I think the trend will continue as just the other night police had to get physical because a criminal was fighting back. It is all over the news about the police. Glad the new Chief stated the force was justified. Good for him to stand up to the crazy mob.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:51 AM

1,913 posts, read 738,744 times
The answer is simple. Leave the criminals to their own devices and stay out of the city.

Old 09-02-2023, 01:42 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
The answer is simple. Leave the criminals to their own devices and stay out of the city.
So let the criminals destroy everything and stop taking advantage of the wonderful amenities this city offers? Sounds like the current plan by mayor ed.

Old 09-02-2023, 03:52 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
So let the criminals destroy everything and stop taking advantage of the wonderful amenities this city offers? Sounds like the current plan by mayor ed.
If we fight crime, it is viewed as racist. Downtown is becoming Homewood. It is what people wanted. I think people around cities feel the need to live at the lowest common denominator. So, the lowest you see in our region is the goal. If we all live at that level we will all be equal.

The burbs have enough diversity to keep things in check for now. The closer to the city the more likely it will turn bad.

You can’t fight it. Just enjoy now as in a couple years it will be significantly worse.

Have a great holiday weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh