Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:16 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,714,134 times

Advertisements

So, we went to Ohiopyle for the first time today and it was fantastic! We're already planning a trip back to the area to go to Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob and maybe horseback riding. My question, as someone who's been here a little over a year, is what else is there to do a short (2 hours or less) drive away? We've been to Lake Erie and that's about it. I'm not including Cleveland, Wheeling or Morgantown because they're cities and this is more of an outdoors post. I have a few guidebooks, so I know all the names of the recreational hot spots around Western Pennsylvania, but I want some first-hand recommendations. How about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 08:30 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
So, we went to Ohiopyle for the first time today and it was fantastic! We're already planning a trip back to the area to go to Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob and maybe horseback riding. My question, as someone who's been here a little over a year, is what else is there to do a short (2 hours or less) drive away? We've been to Lake Erie and that's about it. I'm not including Cleveland, Wheeling or Morgantown because they're cities and this is more of an outdoors post. I have a few guidebooks, so I know all the names of the recreational hot spots around Western Pennsylvania, but I want some first-hand recommendations. How about it?
I don't know if you've heard of Deep Creek Lake in Garrett County, Maryland? It's about a 2 hour drive from Downtown (usually I 79 to I 68)

Deep Creek Lake Area | Garrett County, Maryland

There are tons of houses and properties to rent on the lake down there. Great for family get togethers or just to get away for a little.

They also have a ski resort for the winter months. They get a lot of snow down there in the winter. If Pittsburgh gets one inch, they're probably getting 6 inches.

Wisp Resort-Maryland's own 4-season ski and golf destination

Old 07-13-2008, 08:33 PM

Thanks! I'll add it to the list. Keep 'em coming.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:45 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
I took my visiting-from-out-of-town brother to Fallingwater (which is completely worth it, by the way), and on the way back we stopped at Laurel Caverns. It was pretty cool--a very impressive cave, and different from the limestone caves I have visited in the past (Laurel Caverns is sandstone). We just took the standard one hour tour, but I'd love to go back for one of the longer caving trips.

Anyway, here is a link:

Laurel Caverns (http://www.laurelcaverns.com/index.html - broken link)

Old 07-13-2008, 08:50 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
What are you looking for? Hiking and beauty? My fav -- McConnell's Mills. Pennsylvania State Parks - McConnells Mill - PA DCNR

Very close by -- swimming hiking and boating -- Moraine State Park Pennsylvania State Parks - Moraine - PA DCNR

And my husband used to take me Raccoon Creek State Park... Pennsylvania State Parks - Raccoon Creek - PA DCNR

I also remember Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio wasn't a long drive.... amusement park fun! And Kennywood....

Old 07-13-2008, 09:00 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
What are you looking for? Hiking and beauty? My fav -- McConnell's Mills. Pennsylvania State Parks - McConnells Mill - PA DCNR

Very close by -- swimming hiking and boating -- Moraine State Park Pennsylvania State Parks - Moraine - PA DCNR

And my husband used to take me Raccoon Creek State Park... Pennsylvania State Parks - Raccoon Creek - PA DCNR

I also remember Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio wasn't a long drive.... amusement park fun! And Kennywood....
Sandusky is only about 3 hours from Pittsburgh (about an hour west of Cleveland). I don't know when you were there last but it's grown a lot into a tourist destination. There is still Cedar Point and now there's an Indoor Water Park Resort (Kalahari), and quite a few wineries that grow their own grapes and have wine tastings and restaurants and stuff. It's a nice little getaway...good idea Tallysmom

Old 07-13-2008, 09:03 PM

I've been planning pilgrimages to Fallingwater and Cedar Point for the better part of my life; just waiting for the right moment...it was hard to drive past Fallingwater twice today, but it wasn't part of the plans. Been to Kennywood twice now...love it, of course.

I was curious about Laurel Caverns. Is that the one that you go through in a boat, or is that Penn's Caverns? I've only been to Luray, in my home state of Virginia.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I was curious about Laurel Caverns. Is that the one that you go through in a boat, or is that Penn's Caverns? I've only been to Luray, in my home state of Virginia.
Penn's Cave is the one with the boat tour (I've never taken it, but it sounds fun).

Laurel Caverns is a walking cave, but the whole thing is on a decent slope, so you go down pretty far and then work your way back up. Unlike the limestone caves I have been in, it doesn't have all the stalactites and stalagmites, but instead has some pretty grand passages. It also has natural sand floors (from the dissolved sandstone), so there is less platform walking. Overall even in the one hour tour you get a real sense of how whopping big the cave is, and apparently you see a lot more on the longer caving trips.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Penn's Cave is the one with the boat tour (I've never taken it, but it sounds fun).

Laurel Caverns is a walking cave, but the whole thing is on a decent slope, so you go down pretty far and then work your way back up. Unlike the limestone caves I have been in, it doesn't have all the stalactites and stalagmites, but instead has some pretty grand passages. It also has natural sand floors (from the dissolved sandstone), so there is less platform walking. Overall even in the one hour tour you get a real sense of how whopping big the cave is, and apparently you see a lot more on the longer caving trips.
Which one has mini-golf?

Also, some might say this is off-topic, but I'm the OP and I say it isn't: If you see an amphibious vehicle tomorrow between noon and 1pm, wave. My immortal beloved has wanted to take a Ducky Tour since we moved here and tomorrow's her birthday!

Old 07-13-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Which one has mini-golf?
That would be Laurel Caverns (although we didn't try it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh