Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

You don't seem to get my point. I do drive with caution, or I probably would have killed more than a few cyclists by this time in my life. How 'bout the cylclists also ride with caution in traffic?

My daughter biked to class in Boulder a lot this summer. She said as soon as you got into the city, there was a difference in the cycling attitude. More like "devil may care" whereas on the suburban/rural-ish road she took into the city, people tended to obey the rules of the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 10:48 AM

487 posts, read 1,380,540 times
We believe ... in bikes.

Livestrong.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:04 AM

84 posts, read 259,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You don't seem to get my point. I do drive with caution, or I probably would have killed more than a few cyclists by this time in my life. How 'bout the cylclists also ride with caution in traffic?

My daughter biked to class in Boulder a lot this summer. She said as soon as you got into the city, there was a difference in the cycling attitude. More like "devil may care" whereas on the suburban/rural-ish road she took into the city, people tended to obey the rules of the road.
I find the opposite. People in the city tend to be more lenient and willing to share the road. Its the suburbs where you get yelled at from cars. Anyone else have an opinion on treatment between the city and the burbs?

Old 08-08-2008, 11:05 AM

84 posts, read 259,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
We believe ... in bikes.

Livestrong.

Ride on brother.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:20 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
I love it when I see cyclists while I'm walking to work. And when I'm driving, I always try to be courteous. What steams me are the ones who ride ON THE SIDEWALK! I walk to work between Shadyside and Oakland and not a day goes by that I don't see at least a dozen RIDING THEIR BIKES ON THE SIDEWALKS! They evidently think that the wheelchair cuts are bike ramps. I've almost been hit several times, and I'm just waiting for some senior citizen to get creamed. I think they can get a citation for RIDING ON THE SIDEWALK, no? If they're that frightened to ride on the street, they should probably be taking the bus.

I once caught stuck in a Critical Mass protest bike-athon on a Friday evening where several hundred bikes came up Liberty Avenue through Bloomfield, blocked traffic from the side streets, and went through every red light. It took me a while to regard cyclists with any regard after that. But I realize it was a bunch of kids who thought they were helping their cause. (They weren't).

Old 08-08-2008, 12:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVYinzer View Post
I find the opposite. People in the city tend to be more lenient and willing to share the road. Its the suburbs where you get yelled at from cars. Anyone else have an opinion on treatment between the city and the burbs?
Well, Boulder is a college town, and DD had to ride to campus. I have found that people here in my little burb tend to wear helmets and follow the rules of the road, more or less. In Boulder, it's a little more "free for all" ish. The student pedestrians are that way too.

Don't get me started on Lance Armstrong!

Old 08-08-2008, 12:11 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
The student pedestrians are that way too.
Sing it. I drive through Oakland daily. Apparently they no longer teach "look both ways" in grade school.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:02 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
I've ridden for years and try to obey all the laws. But it honks me off when I'm driving and I see byciclists running red lights and then get pissed at drivers. Works both ways.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:07 AM

487 posts, read 1,380,540 times
Some cyclists are wreckless; many are not ... just like drivers. Either way, be kind. We're a lot more vulnerable atop a 20 lb. bike than in a 4,000 lb. car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVYinzer View Post
My closest calls tend to be out in the country, with rednecks in pickup trucks.

Last edited by bboy36win; 08-09-2008 at 08:21 AM..

Old 08-09-2008, 08:22 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,482 times
?@#$%$ bicycles

20 mph when I want to drive 45....you're worse than the scared country drivers going through the tunnels...

I think bikes should be illegal on the road.....and scared country drivers should be banned from the tunnels...

-OR-

You should all be forced to take the bus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh