Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 5,275 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I moved to Pittsburgh earlier this year, and fell in love with the city. We love the the geography and all the wonderful culture. She in particular came here really wide-eyed and hopeful. She's not from the U.S. (although I am), so she had to immigrate here so I could go to grad-school at Pitt.

However, finding a job here has been gruelingly difficult for her. We've been applying like crazy since April, and are starting to feel a bit down about it. She has a very nice resume for someone in her early twenties. She's got a degree in tourism and 5 years of experience staffing and helping to coordinate conferences and other events. She also speaks fluent French and Spanish (and English of course -- plus some German and Russian). Basically, she's an excited young woman with great interpersonal skills, who loves sharing her love for cities and culture.

But reading through some of the other threads, I saw a lot of agreement that knowing the right people can be really important in Pittsburgh. That pretty much sums up our experience: most jobs needing people with her skills seemed uninterested in hiring someone who's new to the Burgh.

So does anyone have advice for someone in my wife's situation? Any ideas for a young woman in Pittsburgh who is interested in tourism and events? Or if knowing the right people is really that important, how can we get keyed into the right networks?

Any ideas you can offer would be very much appreciated. My wife and I really love Pittsburgh, and would feel so much better if Pittsburgh would just show her a little love in return!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 10:44 AM

799 posts, read 1,290,014 times
Default In Pittsburgh

You do have to be creative to land a good job in Pittsburgh. But that's true for a lot of cities. Don't get discouraged. If your wife has permanent residency already (Green Card), then she has already cleared the major hurdle.

I recommend making a few contacts at Global Pittsburgh:

GlobalPittsburgh.org: Jobs in the Region (http://www.globalpittsburgh.org/jobs/ - broken link)

You wife's language skills are highly sought after and she might find a number of opportunities outside her field of choice. My guess is that she will need to be flexible on that count.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:03 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Someone Bi-Lingual should be more than able to find some sort of suitable work there in Pittsburgh. Advise her to stay postitive and to keep on networking her skills around the area no matter how rough it may seem. The right contact is but a moment away at any time.

Have her contact the Convetion Bureau to gage possibilities and don't forget to research all the Local universities for any and all oportunity. It's there somewhere I'm sure.

Particuarly with the laguage skills, one of these companies will Jump at the oportunity to bring her on board. Don't allow her to be discouraged as it's not always easy to find work when you guys really don't know for sure what her biggest asset will turn up, and that is the language skills - for sure.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:30 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Lots of people hire temps now and then offer a permanent position down the road. That's how I got my job. Go to the agencies (avoid Adecco, DM me for the one I used) and give them the resume and see what she qualifies for. You might be surprised.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:45 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Lots of people hire temps now and then offer a permanent position down the road. That's how I got my job. Go to the agencies (avoid Adecco, DM me for the one I used) and give them the resume and see what she qualifies for. You might be surprised.
Yeah, temp services are very reputable around here. I know several people that eventually got hired on to permanent full time at good jobs they actually enjoy. I'd recommend going that way as well.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:22 PM

Thanks so much for the great replies, everyone!

Old 09-10-2008, 06:29 AM

An update on my wife:

After five months, she has finally been offered a job doing the event coordination for a small company. Hooray! She had sent her resume to several temp-agencies as suggested, but actually came upon this job posted on Craig's List last month.

In addition to her new job, she has also found another company -- Landmark Events -- to be a great additional way to work extra hours doing something she likes. Landmark does the staffing for Steeler's games and some local concerts. These things typically occur once or twice a week in the fall, and Landmark always seems to need help. They are also very flexible -- you can go work just about any time they're doing an event.

Thanks again everyone, for your encouragement and support!
B.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:27 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Congrats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: