Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:12 PM

67 posts, read 233,568 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how accurate the state mine subsidence maps are? We are considering buying a house in NW Squirrel Hill that, according to these maps, has no undermining anywhere near it, but the house apparently has something called "chimney subsidence," which I Googled and doesn't look too good. (Also, several houses on the street are for sale, which sort of worries me.) The current damage to the house is a fairly cheap fix, but I'm worried that further subsidence might cause big damage in the future, as well as making it hard to get a mortgage on or insure.

I really don't want to buy a house that's in the process of subsiding, but I'm confused as to how it could be undermined when according to the maps there's no mining underneath. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 01:14 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
How old is the house? Maybe the chimney/foundation is just settling, as happens with older homes.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:35 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
I think it just means that the chimney has settled, just like houses do. I've never heard of any mine subsidence in the city, and I don't think Squirrel Hill ever had mines. There were some under Mt. Washington and the Hill District in the 19th century. Have you had a home inspection done?

Old 09-25-2008, 01:47 PM

67 posts, read 233,568 times
Geeo, I'm guessing you weren't in the city yet when Schenley Farms started falling in a hole (maybe in 1985 or so)? According to the maps, there is some undermining in Squirrel Hill, it's just far away from this house. I think the nearest is around 10 blocks away. We haven't had an inspection done yet, but an offer on the house just fell through after the previous buyers-to-be did one and this damage was discovered, hence the worry.

At any rate, though, I'm heartened by your responses and hope you're right. If you Google "chimney subsidence" it brings up a particularly frightening kind of mine subsidence, which is what had me worried, but presumably the term would also refer to actual chimneys subsiding...

Old 09-25-2008, 02:21 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
Wow, I'm surprised! No, I didn't know that there were mines up in Squirrel Hill! I never heard about anything happening in Schenley Farms. I thought this part of the city was pretty developed by then. I know Squirrel Hill was developed a little later than Oakland and Shadyside.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:04 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
You are probably aware that there's been incidents there of hillsides sliding into people's yards or houses.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:41 PM

22,559 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Mine subsidence insurance is relatively cheap.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Mine Subsidence insurance is a government program, and really should be taken into consideration for anyone living on high land in the Pittsburgh region.

MSI Homeowners Homepage

It suprised the people a few decades ago when houses of Bryn Mawr sank, but it shouldn't have been shocking if you knew Madison School was originally called Minersville School and the cemetery on Ossipee St. is called the Minersville Cemetery.

But its all over Pittsburgh, Mt. Washington's original name was Coal Hill, you should know.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:57 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
My understanding of mine subsidence issues in the city of Pgh are the mines are much older than other parts of Western PA and were not documented. Mt. Washington supposedly has the oldest and most undocumented mines in the area.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:57 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
From a recent article. I suspect this problem is going to get worse in time. Whatever is shoring up the mines won't last forever. The mines are all over the south hills plus Mt Washington to the south side, belzhoover, mt oliver, carrick.

Quote:
DEP determines mine subsidence caused Mt. Oliver homes’ damage
By Timothy Puko and Adam Smeltz

Published: Monday, July 15, 2013

State regulators plan to fill an abandoned underground coal mine in Mt. Oliver Borough this month to stop homes from sliding off their foundations, a Department of Environmental Protection spokesman said on Monday.

Department workers have identified a dozen damaged houses in the 100 block of Frederick Street since the ground began shifting last week, DEP spokesman John Poister said. Emergency responders initially blocked access on Friday to five houses that the borough has since condemned as unsafe.

“It became a little more complex, but we're still moving as fast as we can,” Poister said, calling the situation “not something you can leave alone, that's for sure.”

He said workers could see cracks Monday in the foundations and brick work of seven newly identified homes, some of which are near Walnut and Frederick streets. Damage at those houses was not serious enough to warrant evacuation.
http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/4...y-homes-houses

Last edited by Goinback2011; 07-16-2013 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh