Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:10 AM

15 posts, read 31,964 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Sorry, this is going to be long!

My husband and I are a DINK couple (double income no kids) in our late 30's/early 40's. We originally lived in the Philly suburbs and hated the "keeping up with the Jonses" attitude, so we moved back to my hometown of Indiana, PA. I work from home and my DH works in Greensburg. He's hoping to find a job downtown at some point in time.

After 3 1/2 years back in Indiana, we've discovered we really don't fit in here. We're surrounded by either older folks, college students, youngish people with children or those around our age who look down upon us because they think we're "rich" (which we aren't).

Every time we've gone to Pittsburgh for sporting events, concerts, shopping, etc, we've LOVED IT! We'd like to get an idea of good neighborhoods/suburbs for us. Obviously, school district doesn't matter aside from knowing what the taxes are. Over the next year or so, we're going to find some open houses to go to just to get an idea of what we can get for the money. We're looking at a budget of $175-$230K for a house. We have 2 dogs and they need their own space to run around.

It's important to us to be near shopping and bars. We don't like overcrowded bars or nightclubs either. Those ships have sailed for us, LOL! We also don't want to be in cookie cutter surbubanite cul-de-sac land. Yuk. We're just searching for that happy medium of everything. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 10:27 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
There are tons of neighborhoods that you'd probably like. Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Regent Square and Highland Park immediately come to mind. All are established neighborhoods with solid housing, good neighbors, walkable shopping districts, and low-key places to have a nice quiet drink. In your price range, try Regent Square first. Parts of it has brick streets with big trees and houses from the early part of the 20th century. The main drag is Braddock Avenue with bars and restaurants, and even an independent movie theater.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:37 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,853 times
I second Regent Square. I want to look for a house in the Regent Square/Edgewood area after I save up enough for a downpayment, and get my credit more in-line.

The east end neighborhoods of Pittsburgh are pretty much what you described. Squirrel Hill is where I live now. It has a huge business district of shops, delis, coffee shops, and so on. Squirrel Hill has no nightlife, but 3 cool neighborhood bars, a expensive wine bar, and a few small weird bars. It is perfect for somebody who is done with the party days, but wants a good place to go out and get a drink, and good places to shop during the day.

Regent Square also has Frick park, a huge park that seperates it from Squirrel HIll. There seem to be a lot of middle age/young single proffesionals there. The houses are beatiful. Mostly 1920s early suburbia, so no cookie cutter McMaranda homes. Squirrel Hill is a much larger neighborhood with two huge parks. You don't live that far. You should just stop down and visit the east side neighborhoods.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:47 AM

Thanks so far! We plan on spending some weekends in some of the suggested areas over the next few months to really get the feel of them. We definitely taking our time with this and researching everything thoroughly before we move. Moving an entire house STINKS, even with a moving company.

I did go to school one year at Pitt, so I'm somewhat familiar with Shadyside and Squirrel Hill. I'll definitely check out Regent Square!

Old 01-21-2009, 12:00 PM

Hmmm...it's looking like the houses don't have the property/yard I was seeking. We're looking for at least a good quarter acre for our dogs to run around in freely.

I don't mind being in the suburbs, just not in a typical development.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:15 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Maybe look toward Mt. Lebanon and the Dormont/Greentree/Scott Township area? They're inner ring suburbs that'll have more of a yard, but are still very close to the city proper.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:19 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
The yard really poses a problem. Most city houses have smaller yards and all of the neighborhoods that have been recommended are in the city (Regent Square is partly in the city). If yard is the deciding factor you will be further from restaraunts and bars. If you like Regent Square you could always look at places in Edgewood, which is fairly close to Regent Square and some of it is actually in Regent Square. Edgewood, which is an older suburb, may have bigger yards. Regent Square borders Frick Park which is really a great park for dogs so you may actually be willing to sacrifice the size of the yard to live in the Regent Square. FYI - Highland Park, while a nice city neighborhood and more affordable than the other neighborhoods, doesn't have a large commercial district although it is very close to East Liberty which is really starting to come back, however parts of East Libery is still pretty rough.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:47 PM

Yeah, we really like having a yard with a private patio for grilling, enjoying some beverages and watching the dogs run around. As far as bars are concerned, we're more into sports bars...someplace to go to watch the Pens and Steelers if we don't feel like sitting at home (in our own sports bar...each of our houses have had one). I've been to a couple bars in West View/Ross Twp (Hop House, Shenanigans) with my brother who lives there and we liked those places. I just don't know about having to drive up and down McKnightmare Road when I want to go shopping.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:37 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
Avoid McKnight Road at all costs. Went out there a couple weeks ago and spent more time and wasted gas sitting at traffic lights than shopping.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:57 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Babcock Blvd and Thompson run road are good alternatives that run parallel to McKnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh