Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:12 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,778,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlwhip View Post
But when the wonderful (mild) summers come you will feel sorry for those poor people down south!
I'm glad I'm not the only one that realizes that summers are great here! Most Pittsburghers think they are "soooooo hot and humid." LOL! Typical repsonses from people that have never lived anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 02:51 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,641,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one that realizes that summers are great here! Most Pittsburghers think they are "soooooo hot and humid." LOL! Typical repsonses from people that have never lived anywhere else.
I am with both of you. I grew up and lived in southern Virginia and North
Carolina for 30 years. I do not miss the hot summers--I have only experienced one day here that I thought was uncomfortable. I love the
weather overall. I am getting antsy right now but I know spring is close.

As for driving here in the snow it can be a bit intimidating on the hills --at first, but I just poked along very slow until I got the hang of it. I am really glad we can keep both vehicles in the garages.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Subaru's or any other all wheel drive or four wheel drive aren't any more effective unless you have the proper tires to get traction in the conditions they are made for.
Having owned cars of all driveline configurations (10 FWD, 4 RWD, 3 AWD) I can tell you that AWD makes a huge difference regardless of what kind of tire. It's true that a lot of inexperienced AWD drivers, especially those who know nothing about physics, overestimate the capabilities of AWD. And yes, in a place as hilly as Pittsburgh it still makes sense to have snow tires even with AWD. That said, I'd rather have a proper AWD configuration (that is, not a system that only sends torque to the rear wheels when the fronts start to slip) with a set of good all-weathers than RWD with snows. And in any case, in a place like Pittsburgh I'd certainly rather have AWD with snows than 2WD with snows.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:10 PM

156 posts, read 296,961 times
I personally do not like driving on the snow -- depends on how comfortable a driver you are. But there are several neighborhoods where you can walk or take a short bus ride to buy food and other necessities when the weather is bad. Oakmont, Mt Washington, Squirrel Hill, Regent Square, the South Side, the Strip District, Mt Lebanan, East Liberty, Bloomfield, Friendship,...

Old 02-27-2009, 03:52 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,234,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Going outside into the Pittsburgh weather requires alot of planning and training. You will need to dress in 8-10 layers and wear boots that will protect you from subzero temperatures. Always cover exposed skin or you will get frostbite in a matter of seconds. I cover my entire face with vaseline and then wear a ski mask.

Once you are properly dressed, make sure you warm up the snowmobile and tell loved ones were you are planning to go. Even simple trips to the store can be dangerous.

Finally, always carry matches, a CB radio, some water, a knife, a compass, and some food with you. Too many stories about snowmobiles breaking down on the parkway and people starving to death - don't become a statistic!
This is all so true. It is really akin to Siberia around here. My sled dogs are getting old. I need to get to town to purchase a few young and healthy ones. The single engine aircraft is due here sometime next week so I can load up on supplies. We still have a bit of winter yet.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,008 times
Default Update from "the husband"

First off let me state that my wife primarily posted this topic because she is fearful for me.

To all of you saying "it's really not that cold here", etc... those arguments are irrelevant when it comes to me.

Seriously, I have some sort of physiological variation of the human condition. When it is hot and humid and over 100 degrees in the summer, I am in a sweet sweet fiery heaven. Below 45 is FREEZING. And it makes me depressed...

I am actually fairly cold and miserable in the winter here in NC. I can't help it.

I am a wuss...a wimp...a whatever you want to call me when it comes to cold - that's just the way it is. Feel free to make fun of me (for real - I'll laugh along with you - and then turn it around when the short heat arrives )

I have been watching the weather in Pitt everyday for a couple of months now, and as far as I'm concerned, it is the tundra.

OK - that's out of the way.

I just wanted to thank you all for all the wonderful advice. I'm a biologist, so freaky caribou will be welcomed (joke - no we are not that ignorant...)

I will be posting another question momentarily - namely: where are all the online dorky Pittsburgh science nerds at?

Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 7,511 times
Default !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Going outside into the Pittsburgh weather requires alot of planning and training. You will need to dress in 8-10 layers and wear boots that will protect you from subzero temperatures. Always cover exposed skin or you will get frostbite in a matter of seconds. I cover my entire face with vaseline and then wear a ski mask.

Once you are properly dressed, make sure you warm up the snowmobile and tell loved ones were you are planning to go. Even simple trips to the store can be dangerous.

Finally, always carry matches, a CB radio, some water, a knife, a compass, and some food with you. Too many stories about snowmobiles breaking down on the parkway and people starving to death - don't become a statistic!
You made me laugh and laugh!!! I'll have to look for some good survivalist training before we move, clearly. I hear it's a good idea to be able to whip up some Squirrel Jerky in a pinch. Thanks for the advice !

Old 02-28-2009, 01:01 PM

892 posts, read 2,394,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghBoundSoutherner View Post
You made me laugh and laugh!!! I'll have to look for some good survivalist training before we move, clearly. I hear it's a good idea to be able to whip up some Squirrel Jerky in a pinch. Thanks for the advice !
Man that comment totally made me think of those "as seen on TV" commercials that were so prevalent in the 80s (during the height of the Rambo films) for those survival knives with the hollow handles that contained all kinds of little gadgets.

It's also excellent satire of some of the, shall we say, more zealous of the bunch among those who post to these forums (all cities are deadly, all weather is deadly, everything fun in life is scary, everyone should sit at home somewhere in a far off suburb cowering under a table watching FOX waiting for the end times).

Old 03-01-2009, 08:05 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,806,317 times
Oh, one last thing, and this is very important. Don't eat the yellow snow!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:13 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,943,486 times
^or frozen tootsie rolls! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh