Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:28 AM

111 posts, read 257,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This kind of area makes me twitchy, but to each his own. I would implore you, while you're in Pittsburgh, to check out some of the stuff the actual city has to offer. The Strip on a Saturday morning, a movie in Squirrel Hill or Regent Square followed by dinner at a restaurant down the street. See a little of what makes Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, and not just the parts of town that look like anywhere and everywhere else.
By all means I am looking forward very much to exploring the local culture and areas, but to me these urban sprawl areas are the portrait of safety, cleanliness, and modern ammenities for convenience. That said, I just want to live somewhere that makes me feel comfortable and relaxed when I get off work. I can't wait to really explore the locale but untill I get settled in somewhere, I have no time to do so.

Thankyou all for your responses so far, cranberry\wexford look to have a lot of what I might be looking for, and that sumerset place looks like it might be great as well. Keep them coming, I do appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 09:12 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,703 times
Too bad your job is in Monroeville, because you'd love the Robinson area. It's got a big, new mall, every big box store and chain restaurant imaginable, and they are building a new "lifestyle center" that features a brand new shiny Giant Eagle Marketplace and 16-screen movie theater that opens this summer. But your commute would be horrendous, it's on the opposite side of the city.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:28 AM

297 posts, read 505,153 times
If we're ignoring distance to Monroeville, I'd suggest Robinson, which is west of the city and near the airport. It has a lot of nice places to shop, tons of restaurants, and the mall is nice too. There are some nice apartments in the Robinson/Moon area, but if you let me know your budget and how many rooms you're looking for I would be able to suggest something more specific. Some other areas would be Cranberry in Butler, and I'd suggest the apts at the Waterfront in Homestead too. If you haven't been to the Waterfront yet, you should go. The neighborhood is a dump, but the apts are new and overpriced, but close to a ton of shopping and fun places to eat. It's a short drive to the bars on Carson St. and a short drive to oakland also.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:04 AM

91 posts, read 138,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Too bad your job is in Monroeville, because you'd love the Robinson area. It's got a big, new mall, every big box store and chain restaurant imaginable, and they are building a new "lifestyle center" that features a brand new shiny Giant Eagle Marketplace and 16-screen movie theater that opens this summer. But your commute would be horrendous, it's on the opposite side of the city.
If I were him, I would just move to the Robinson area. There is no other area of Pittsburgh that is as convenient than that area. Since he will only at his place of work a short amount of time, I'm thinking he'd rather be in an area that has everything he needs within a 5 minute drive. Plus it's close to the airport to boot!
I'm just saying, on weekends, holidays, after work.... I'd take the long drive to work any day to be able to live in a convenient area. Cranberry and Wexford are still very rural compared to the Robinson area.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:20 PM

111 posts, read 257,957 times
Can anybody give me a zip code or something to identify this robinson area, on google maps I'm just finding fields. If the commute is only an hour or hour and a half, that would be fine. That kind of commute isn't uncommon in Denver anyway. Can anybody name any decent apartment complexes in that area?

Old 03-05-2009, 12:49 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanswindle View Post
Can anybody give me a zip code or something to identify this robinson area, on google maps I'm just finding fields. If the commute is only an hour or hour and a half, that would be fine. That kind of commute isn't uncommon in Denver anyway. Can anybody name any decent apartment complexes in that area?
Here is a condo built in 08 in Robinson (Zip: 15205):
Robinson Twp - NWA Real Estate - 903 Wingate, Robinson Twp - NWA, PA, 15205

It would have to be a pretty busy day (accidents/bad weather) to have a commute to Monroeville from Robinson be over an hour, IMO.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:15 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,703 times
Here's the map of where the Mall at Robinson is located. All your modern conveniences are within 2 miles of this area, including the ever-popular Ikea.

mall at robinson - Google Maps

Old 03-05-2009, 02:37 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, I think you may be on to something, but not what you think. Don't feed the trolls!

Awesomeo isn't a troll.

Also, it really depends on your definition of suburbs as far as sidewalks go. The city proper of Pittsburgh is surrounded by boroughs that are totally walkable. Past those, maybe there aren't many sidewalks, but "that's true of most places in the U.S."

Old 03-05-2009, 03:09 PM

91 posts, read 138,963 times
Smile Lincoln Highlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanswindle View Post
The Highlands is a newer complex right around the corner from the Robinson Mall. It's actually in Coraopolis and the Zip is 15108. I haven't been inside any of the apartments, but the outside seems nice. Here is a website I found for it. Ventana Hills is another one that looks pretty nice. Not sure how close to the mall area it is.
In fact, here is the website I used to find those. Type in Places like Moon Township, and it will pull up what's available.
The zip for the mall is 15205. Hope this helps.

PS - I agree with Lifepgh2op - I doubt it would take you that long to get from Monroeville to the Robinson area. Maybe this weekend you could take a drive to the Robinson area (just google or mapquest directions) and you can see for yourself all that is there. Good Luck.

Last edited by rubybelle; 03-05-2009 at 03:25 PM..

Old 03-05-2009, 03:32 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,701 times
That's so funny, Ruby. I was just logging on to suggest The Highlands at Montour Run. The OP didn't mention whether he wanted to rent or purchase and I had suggested a purchase so I was going to suggest the Highlands if they were interested in renting. They look like they have a lot to offer in the complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh