Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:57 PM

130 posts, read 297,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Speaking from personal experience (we rented a house we had originally planned on selling last year), there has been a recent explosion in Pittsburgh of real estate agencies handling whole house rentals, as lots of potential sellers and buyers are both looking to rent as they wait for hard information on where the Pittsburgh real estate market is heading. As an aside, logic dictates that one side or the other (sellers or buyers) must be betting the wrong way on this, but nobody knows who!

If you want a specific name, feel free to shoot me a message and I will let you know the agent we used to rent out our house (who since last fall has suddenly found herself doing lots of this).
BrianTH, as always I appreciate your dedication in responding to questions from many of us in the forum. I'm due for a visit in Pitts in April-May to look at apartment rentals with long term in mind. I've been reading the posts and also apartment ratings for some of the apartments I looked over the internet and am increasingly getting despondent that I will never find what I'm looking for. If you know of any reputable rental agencies, I would be willing to pay a fee. I had fallen in love with a landlord site that showed great photos and descriptions of apartments, only to find really awful reviews from former tenants in an apartment ratings site. My heart sank and now I am more than ever extremely sad. Could anyone help? I'm looking for a 2BR in the nicer neighborhoods for max $1200; $1000 or less and I'll be deliriously happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 07:31 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,071,604 times
As an aside, I think one needs to take online reviews of landlords with a grain of salt. It is a self-selected sample and I think that skews it negative.

Anyway, my wife had good luck with Franklin West back when she was single. They are very particular on check out, but they were otherwise a decent company.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:01 PM

130 posts, read 297,532 times
Default Landlord ratings on Mozart Apartments

To BrianTh: thank you for your info. I'm going to check out Franklin West in detail. Do you or does anyone in the forum know about Mozart Apartments? They manage several buildings in the nicer parts of town and have perfect photos of them online. They are the only landlord website that have photos of all rooms and views of the house -- and they really are tempting. The site is very easy to navigate and use. I was impressed. The rents are very reasonable for the amount of space you get. I was sold (mentally) on one of the charming ones until I read a post about the landlords -- in short, not as good as advertised. Some tenant comments: management doesn't respond quickly enough to legitimate complaints; some apartments are pest-infested, etc. and -- worst of all -- they don't give the current tenant the first option to renew and consequently you are forced to vacate. etc. etc.

I'm looking for a long-term rental. I'm retired and am looking for decent housing to live in for as long as I want to. I hate moving so am hoping that I will be happy with whatever I find in Pitts come April when I make my research trip. I will leave no stone unturned while there to look for that perfect apartment. (Thanks for all your advice, folks!)

How's the area in or near Shadyside walking distance to Trader Joe's, Wholefoods, retail shops? It sounds perfect for me as I prefer to walk to shops and the park. I also want to be near PCA (Pitts Center for the Arts)as I will be spending quite a lot of time there. Where should I look there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh