Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 05:57 PM

297 posts, read 505,527 times

Advertisements

Talking about the whole deal here: housing prices, taxes, schools, crime, location to highways, commute time to downtown, nearby shopping, etc. What's some underrated suburbs that have these things, yet still doesn't get the credit it deserves?

My choice would be Hempfield.

Pros:
Lots of new housing developments
Fair housing prices
Great school district
Lots of shopping close on rt.30
Lower taxes compared to Allegheny County
Full of Obama-haters

Cons:
Commuting to downtown sucks
Too far from the airport
Hs football team sucks
I don't live there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:27 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I don't consider Hempfield to be a suburb of Pittsburgh.

Politics there are terrible; school board always squabbling; etc.
Plenty of people there voted for Obama.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:39 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,166 times
I don't know about underrated, but Robinson and the other west suburbs barely get a mention around Pittsburgh, that I notice. Everything in Pittsburgh seems to be east, then south, then north. The only thing people seem to notice is that IKEA is out here. Boy, are they missing a lot!

Being unoticed, we don't have the traffic the east does or the crowds the south and north areas have. And the country is only 10 minutes away, and downtown is only 20 minutes away, with very easy access to the highways. Nice family neighborhoods and plenty of newer shopping areas including the mall and the new specialty shoppes going in off Campbells Run. Housing is about the same as anywhere else in Pittsburgh in terms of cost.

Come to think of it, I like it this way and don't want to get noticed. Forget I said anything!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:26 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Thornburg
Rosslynn Farms

Old 05-08-2009, 06:23 AM

129 posts, read 408,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
Being unoticed, we don't have the traffic the east does or the crowds the south and north areas have.
I agree with you on a lot of points, but not the traffic. Traffic to/from downtown to the Robinson area can be absolutely ridiculous. Traffic is bad enough from downtown to 79 to the Bridgeville exit (South Fayette, where I live), but it is even worse if you stay on 22/30 and have to head out towards Robinson. And this goes for both the morning and afternoon commute, in both directions.

After several after-work shopping trips where we went from downtown straight out to Robinson, my husband and I declined to look at developments out that way because of the addition on to our commute.

Otherwise, I love the area, pretty decent schools, great access to just about any shopping you need, close to the airport. Just the commute downtown stinks.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:46 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
My favorites are Edgewood, North Swissvale, and South Wilkinsburg.

I am just going to post one post in this thread. If this is really the direction of this forum....................then Jesus. Also, lets keep politics out of it.

New Housing plans suck. They are the least desirable things to many people, especially of the younger generation. People of my parents generation loved living in these treeless Maronda subdivisions with no sidewalks, all the houses looked the same, and you have to drive everywhere for everything. Yay! Growing up in one of those beige boxes that resembled every neighbor's house down the street was the most god awful feeling of mediocrity. It is no wonder so some of these white suburban kids grow up crazy or addicted to heroin.

But Hey, Lets turn this into suburbinite-data.com! Lets talk about how god awful scary the city is, and how you need a carry a taser around with you, and where we should build our new crappy Maronda/Ryan subdivisions in Cranberry or Hempfield Townships!

Bash me all you want.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:47 AM

129 posts, read 408,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
New Housing plans suck.
You seem to take new housing plans pretty personally. It is really that serious? Geez.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:50 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddietrich View Post
You seem to take new housing plans pretty personally. It is really that serious? Geez.
I am anti sprawl, and pro "smart development". Is that wrong? Oh, I forgot, this is suburbinite-data.com.

Jesus, I am already past my one post, I said that I would stop. But people on this forum really don't like me to voice my opinion.

Geez.

And for the recond:

I am NOT anti-suburb, Like everybody on here has me made out to be. I love many suburbs around the Pittsburgh area. I am anti sprawl. I am against the ideology of people who feel their only option is to build a new house with a 50 year life span in a new exurban subdivision, instead of staying in an existing town. Why is it, the American ideology is, let the old unique towns rot, and build newer cheaper crap in a forest 15 miles even further out. I just will never get it.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:53 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
Quote:
I am anti sprawl, and pro "smart development". Is that wrong? Oh, I forgot, this is suburbinite-data.com.

Jesus, I am already past my one post, I said that I would stop. But people on this forum really don't like me to voice my opinion.

Geez.
It's the attitude you post with that turns people off, not just "voicing your opinion."

Old 05-08-2009, 07:01 AM

439 posts, read 1,474,691 times
Quote:
My favorites are Edgewood, North Swissvale, and South Wilkinsburg.

I am just going to post one post in this thread. If this is really the direction of this forum....................then Jesus. Also, lets keep politics out of it.

New Housing plans suck. They are the least desirable things to many people, especially of the younger generation. People of my parents generation loved living in these treeless Maronda subdivisions with no sidewalks, all the houses looked the same, and you have to drive everywhere for everything. Yay! Growing up in one of those beige boxes that resembled every neighbor's house down the street was the most god awful feeling of mediocrity. It is no wonder so many of these white suburban kids grow up crazy or addicted to heroin.

But Hey, Lets turn this into suburbinite-data.com! Lets talk about how god awful scary the city is, and how you need a carry a taser around with you, and where we should build our new crappy Maronda/Ryan subdivisions in Cranberry or Hempfield Townships!

Bash me all you want.
Ok, I'll start.

There is nothing wrong with living in the suburbs, and there is nothing wrong with living in the City.

I grew up in a city neighborhood (Brookline) and lived there for 26 years.
I wanted a house with a yard I could actually use. My yard in Brookline was barely big enough to turn a lawnmower around in so we played in the street every day. It wasn't all that safe and more than one of us was hit by a car (minor). I wanted a house where my daughter could play in the yard and be able to run more than 20 feet without running into a fence. I wanted a quieter neighborhood where I was more than 10 feet from my neighbor. In Brookline I could hear my neighbors yelling at their kids from in my house (and they were in theirs) and everyone had at least 2 dogs that barked non-stop. My parents spent many thousands of dollars sending us to private schools so we didn't have to be bused to the hill district. I wanted a house in an area with a great school district.

If I didn't have kids I would consider City living, but based on my experience growing up in the city she will have a much safer childhood where we live now.

The services out here are much better also (garbage pickup, snow removal, street repair). Another benefit is I don't have to fight with neighbors for parking spaces.

By the way, I purchased a 40 year old house in Upper Saint Clair, I did not build a new one. It was actually quite a bit cheaper than comparable houses within the city at the time we purchased it.

--Ray
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh