Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times

Advertisements

Maybe you'll get a better response if you change your adveritsement to differentiate yourself from another homeowner. It might be possible that everyone who is willing to do this type of work is confusing your ads with another person's ads. There's a crazy woman who lives in the northern suburbs who advertises for hard labor yard work and pays well under the table. The people who show up are put through the ringer and can't put up with her. It's hard enough work to dig huge holes to plant bushes and trees, but the condescending treatment makes it cruel and unusual punishment. Only the truly desperate stick it out, but she manages drive them away too. Anyone with self respect won't work for her. And it seems that most Pittsburghers have self respect. Nobody wants to be treated like a slave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 07:52 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Maybe you'll get a better response if you change your adveritsement to differentiate yourself from another homeowner. It might be possible that everyone who is willing to do this type of work is confusing your ads with another person's ads. There's a crazy woman who lives in the northern suburbs who advertises for hard labor yard work and pays well under the table. The people who show up are put through the ringer and can't put up with her. It's hard enough work to dig huge holes to plant bushes and trees, but the condescending treatment makes it cruel and unusual punishment. Only the truly desperate stick it out, but she manages drive them away too. Anyone with self respect won't work for her. And it seems that most Pittsburghers have self respect. Nobody wants to be treated like a slave.
True that and it also seems like a lot of Pittsburghers like to DIY and not get help from random strangers.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:03 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,619 times
I too wish there were more day laborers.

Last edited by johnnytang24; 05-15-2009 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: I wish there were ANY day laborers

Old 05-15-2009, 07:22 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Well, I went to a Mexican restaurant last night, I know, not really PC. Asked the manager if any of the employees were looking for extra work. He took my name and number and said he'd give a call today. He said he has a lot of people looking for work when the restaurant gets slow.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:19 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,706,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
How does 15 bucks under the table sound. No takers, it's amazing.
LOL, just fifteen dollars period?

No wonder you can't get some one to do it.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:51 AM

15 bucks PER hour. That seems fair to me. Also, I contacted a guy through Cragslist who does side jobs. He came out, we negotiated an hourly rate, shook hands, and he never came back.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:58 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
He came out, we negotiated an hourly rate, shook hands, and he never came back.
I get this a lot, too. You'd think that in this economy people would be glad to have some work, but I think that a lot of these guys are just waiting for the really huge expensive jobs and unwilling to take on any less.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:28 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times
Quote:
15 bucks PER hour. That seems fair to me. Also, I contacted a guy through Cragslist who does side jobs. He came out, we negotiated an hourly rate, shook hands, and he never came back.
oh well in that case hell i would i would do it. that's pretty good.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
oh well in that case hell i would i would do it. that's pretty good.
You'd think, but the last time I had some teenagers doing that work, every time I turned around they were texting. The American Work Ethic, the immigrants have it.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:55 AM

82 posts, read 302,366 times
Quote:
You'd think, but the last time I had some teenagers doing that work, every time I turned around they were texting. The American Work Ethic, the immigrants have it.
I would point out, firmly, that when I am paying someone to work, I own their time. Unless I choose to use their time by allowing them to text, they cannot do it. If they spend their time (now *my* time) on personal pursuits, it had better be during a scheduled break or with permission. Otherwise, they are stealing their time from me.

If they don't like it, they don't have to take the job.

In the Boston area, you would pay around $20/hr. under the table for laborers, unless has gone up over the past three years. I was once offered the opportunity to hire a group of illegal immigrants, at the grand price of $900. That was for raking and removing the leaves in my 1/2-acre yard. When I remarked on the price, they lowered it to $600 and offered to sweep the driveway for free, too. Naturally, I did not hire them. Note that here it is not called "raking" -- it is called spring or fall clean-up. More words in the job title, more pay, I guess. People who are here legally charge from $300-$400 to rake (actually, to blow) the leaves. I pay my kids $100, total, but they are too lazy to make money doing yard work for others.

One thing you can do, if you hire texters, is to put their cell phones in a safe place while they are working. Just tell them they can make and receive personal calls or texts during their breaks.

Last edited by RoughCollie; 05-15-2009 at 11:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh