Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,875 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Shadyside this weekend, the part near Shady Ave, I'm more nervous than I can rationally justify. My main concern is moving to an area that I'm not familiar with, since I spent all 22 years of my life in the same city.

I really have no reason to be nervous since I've spent all of my life in one of the murder capitals of the US, and went to a college where students get held up at gun point on a weekly basis.

Any advice to make my transition smoother or to help clam my nerves?

Last edited by SteakEscape; 07-29-2009 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 10:04 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
Relax, it's Shadyside.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 PM

134 posts, read 495,282 times
My son lives there and believe me, if I can sleep at night without too much worry, it's all good. Of course, no matter where you live you have to be aware of your surroundings but I love it and so does he and his girlfriend. They hope to stay there after they finish school.

Don't worry...be happy.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:27 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteakEscape View Post
I'm moving to Shadyside this weekend, the part near Shady Ave, I'm more nervous than I can rationally justify. My main concern is moving to an area that I'm not familiar with, since I spent all 22 years of my life in the same city.

I really have no reason to be nervous since I've spent all of my life in one of the murder capitals of the US, and went to a college where students get held up at gun point on a weekly basis.

I moved to Shadyside after living in Erie for 36 years. I lived on the corner of Ellsworth and Negley, so not to far from where you are going to live. I never felt unsafe or threatened, it's one of the most beautiful and colorful neighborhoods in the city.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:25 AM

269 posts, read 1,054,549 times
Pittsburgh really is super safe and Shadyside is one of the nicest areas in the city. I grew up in a dangerous city so I understand your fears. I still don't like to walk outside at night. I have friends however who don't share my fears and have walked all over the area in the middle of the night (stumbling home from bars). When you get here, watch the local news and you'll see just how safe it is. My family came to visit and laughed out loud at the stuff that made the news.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:47 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,523 times
Not to worry. It's a great area. It's bustling during the day, and there are people out walking at all hours, so it's pretty safe. Of course, you have to be aware and take the precautions that you would anywhere.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:27 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times
First, welcome!

Second, ditto what everyone else said. I'll just add that when I first came to Pittsburgh I lived in that same part of Shadyside (on Spahr Street), and my future wife also lived there for a long time (on Marchand). I still believe Shadyside is easily one of the very best neighborhoods to start out in when coming to Pittsburgh for the first time. It is compact, pleasant, and easy to get to know just walking around, and there is lots of stuff to do right in the neighborhood. But you are also convenient to a lot of other great neighborhoods as you start to branch out.

So my guess is it won't take long for you to feel quite comfortable in Shadyside, and my advice would just be to take the opportunity of any nice late summer and fall days we have coming up to get out and explore. In any event, good luck with your move!

Old 07-30-2009, 07:36 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,448 times
Shadyside is one of the nicest areas in the city..I am there often and always enjoy it..it is a great
area with nice people..

Old 07-31-2009, 07:34 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Not to worry. It's a great area. It's bustling during the day, and there are people out walking at all hours, so it's pretty safe. Of course, you have to be aware and take the precautions that you would anywhere.
With all this said, including my original statement, I will say the three most commonly reported and heard of crimes in Shadyside are robbery, especially of college students using ATM's. I know this for a fact because my wife works at CMU and gets all of the safety correspondence that is sent on to students. The other two are auto and bicycle theft. I had bought a brand new mountain bike at Dirty Harry's and it was stolen out of my locked apartment building not even 24 hours after buying it. Bicycle theft is huge in Shadyside and East Liberty.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:36 PM

40 posts, read 150,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteakEscape View Post

I moved down to South Carolina two years ago, but if I were to ever move back to Pittsburgh I would strongly consider Shadyside as one of the places I'd move to. Squirrel Hill, where I used to live, is just south of Shadyside and is also a good place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh