Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times

Advertisements

I almost rented in Observatory Hill when I was in my 20s. It is a cool place. Forget the sticks. The mindset in the sticks will drive you insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 08:28 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
Shadyside, Park Place, and Regent Square.

Random trivia: I've actually lived at three different addresses on East End Avenue (all the odd-numbered side in fact).

Old 10-02-2009, 09:01 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I almost rented in Observatory Hill when I was in my 20s. It is a cool place. Forget the sticks. The mindset in the sticks will drive you insane.
I don't plan on living near people.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:13 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,205,092 times
Here in Hopewell, Dormont, and someplace in the city that nobody who doesnt live there knows about. If anyone can say where Eiseltown is, I'll name the neighborhood. (I searched the Pittsburgh forum and Eiseltown hasn't been mentioned.)

And I grew up in...

I don't know where I grew up! It was either Shadyside or East Liberty.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times
Downtown

Mt Washington

Emsworth

Economy

I actually lived downtown for about 6-7 years (seems like it was longer, but I guess not), unfortunately my earliest years here. I think downtown is in better shape now than in 1991. The move was essentially forced. When I moved here, my apartment was provided for me. It was supposed to be temporary, as was my stay here. Both extended much longer than originally planned. Oh I was sick of the downtown apartment at the end, but now I'm ready to go back. Mt Washington was too loud for me. I lived about half a block down from Grandview, near the library. I only lived there for 10 months. I'm also now leery of any apartment made out of an old house. Just too much noise transmission. Emsworth was an apartment complex. I lived in two different units there over 5 years. Then, I bought a house out here. I wanted a little more yard than closer in stuff, although it's not a ton of yard, 1/3 acre. It also qualified for a rural housing loan. 6 years here, and counting. More like counting down the days until I can think about moving into the city, or at least closer, with things to walk to.

Last edited by greg42; 10-02-2009 at 09:33 PM..

Old 10-02-2009, 11:07 PM

875 posts, read 1,490,421 times
Penn Hills

Ligonier

Indianola / Indiana Township

Oakland (fun times)

Old 10-03-2009, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
If anyone can say where Eiseltown is, I'll name the neighborhood. (I searched the Pittsburgh forum and Eiseltown hasn't been mentioned.)
Even though there is a florist named Eiseltown in Mt. Washington, my internet research indicates that Eiseltown used to be located between Arlington, Mt. Oliver and Southside Slopes. I suspect it's the little area nestled in the woods halfway up Parkwood Road where there's a heavier concentration of people with the last name Eisel and a street by that name. However, some people might call the area on top of the Parkwood Road Eiseltown.

I live in a similar small neighborhood. Only the locals know the name. If it weren't for fact that many generations of Pittsburghers tend to stay in the same immediate neighborhoods, we'd never know the origional names for these small neighborhoods. There's usually a street with first part of the neighborhood name in the name of the street. For instance, town or ville is added onto the name of the street. The name of the street is usually the last name of an original family that lived in the area.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:41 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,205,092 times
Quote:
....my internet research indicates...
That's cheating! You were supposed to just know. Or need to spend the day in the library. Damn google.

But you're exactly right. Well almost exactly. I wasn't in Eiseltown exactly, but partway up Parkwood. The only way in or out is from Becks Run Rd, so it really has zero connection with either the St Clair or Arlington neighborhoods. (Especially since the middle stretch of Parkwood slid into the valley.) The city maps use Parkwood as the boundary.

But it's not a case of "used to". That's still what it's called, and they're still there, at least they were 30 years ago.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:52 AM

89 posts, read 218,167 times
Murrysville
Oakland
Bloomfield

I really like Bloomfield, but I miss the excitement and busy-ness of Oakland.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
That's cheating! You were supposed to just know. Or need to spend the day in the library. Damn google.
I am the internet research queen!

The part of suspected was exactly right!

They are still there! I know because there are listed phone numbers!

Eiseltown must have a population of 20 or 30 people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh