Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 09:17 PM

23 posts, read 83,161 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning a weekend getaway to Pittsburgh; can you suggest some activities for us? We're specifically looking for eclectic, out-of-the-way, interesting things that only the locals would be able to point us to. Thanks in advance! Oh yes, we'll be there during the month of October, if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 09:25 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
It might be helpful to tell us a bit about what you are generally into doing. Nightlife, culture, scenery, architecture . . . we've got lots of stuff to do, so if you can narrow it down a bit it would help people provide suggestions.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:45 PM

Sorry - I should've thought to add that. We're not so much into nightlife, but culture, scenery, sightseeing, and shopping rate pretty high for us. Also architecture and history are huge for us. Thanks again!

Old 10-04-2009, 06:52 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
here are some things, from my personal list of places to take out of towners:

the sauer buildings on center ave in aspinwall are a group of very architecturally unusual (sort of castly looking) buildings, some abandoned, some occupied.

the bayernhof museum is one of those "crazy rich person collected random things and made it into a museum" places. the collection is mainly musicial instruments and penny arcade machines, but there are all kinds of things. the oddness of the house (it has an underground grotto) and decor alone are worth the price of admission. it reminds me a little of a mini version of the house on the rock in wisconsin. you have to call ahead to reserve a space on a tour. Bayernhof Museum

a night time tour of the allegheny observatory is a fun thing to do if you're interested in astronomy, and riverview park, where it's located is a very cool victorian park: http://www.pitt.edu/~aobsvtry

the rachel carson homestead isn't far from the city: Rachel Carson Homestead > Home

this place has monthly exhibits of old photos, for free: Photo Antiquities Museum of Photographic History

at st. nicholas church on maryland ave in millvale there are some amazing murals detailing the croatian immigrant experience by max vanko - you can arrange tours with the church or just walk in any time they're not having a service. St. Nicholas Croatian Catholic Parish

if you're interested in labor history, there's the pump house where the battle of homestead took place. there's not much there, but there is a plaque and you can look down and see the pilings where the docks were. Battle of Homestead Foundation

the national aviary might be an obvious choice for a visit, but make sure you're there from 11:30-12:30 or 2-3 when you can feed some of the birds yourself!

a neat little oddity in oakland is the shrine to the virgin mary overlooking the highway. http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/9433

of course taking either of the inclines up to mt washington is a classic way to look at the city. it's a little anti-climactic, but it's a lot cheaper to park at the top, pay for a transfer going down the incline, and then ride right back up. make sure to sit in the bottom section of the incline for the best view.

the view from the west end overlook is better though - it's the classic head on view of the point. you can't get there by novel transportation though!

the cathedral of learning is also nice to visit, for the building itself (a stunning gothic skyscraper), the nationality classrooms on the first floor (each room was designed and paid for by a different nationality-based organization in pittsburgh) and for the observation deck on one of the upper floors. i think tours of the nationality rooms are available.

depending on where in ohio you're coming from, you might want to stop at the linesville spillway on the way here or back. it's one of the weirdest tourist attractions i've ever seen. some people love it, some people are repulsed. some people are both. http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/1115

Last edited by groar; 10-04-2009 at 07:04 AM..

Old 10-04-2009, 01:23 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
if you're interested in labor history, there's the pump house where the battle of homestead took place. there's not much there, but there is a plaque and you can look down and see the pilings where the docks were. Battle of Homestead Foundation
Rivers of Steel operates a museum in the nearby Bost Building: Rivers of Steel - Current Exhibit,
and a local artist created a labyrinth on the river: An artist's labyrinth is a novel memorial to the region's industrial past. - Art - Art Reviews & Features - Pittsburgh City Paper

Old 10-04-2009, 03:23 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
whoah, i had no idea about that museum! thank you!

Old 10-04-2009, 05:14 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Old 10-04-2009, 05:17 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Forgot to mention the Frick in Point Breeze: Frick Art & Historical Center | Welcome

There's a charge to take the house tour of Clayton, but the art museum and the car collection and grounds are free, and they have a great little cafe to get high tea.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:51 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
The Society for Contemporary Craft on Smallman is pretty cool.

www.contemporarycraft.org

Old 10-04-2009, 07:19 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I was going to mention the Frick so I will just second it.

The Strip District on a Saturday morning is also a lot of fun if you like a crowded open market vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh