Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 02:08 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
It really depends on where you buy in the city. I think the people who live on the South Side, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill and the other nice areas of the city love their appreciation.
Show me some stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 02:12 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I will stick my neck out here and say that West Coast folk from Hollywood to Berkeley to Portland to Seattle will get wind of these values and the ability to live an ecologically-sensible lifestyle and invade...soon. The differences in value for a starting family are just too vast for Pittsburgh to remain undiscovered.
The differences with some nearby East Coast cities are also pretty stark now for young families with what not too many years ago would have been realistic expectations given their household incomes.

That said, I'm not sure if this will be a rapid process, at least initially. Pittsburgh has some pretty strong national branding, much of it negative, that took over a century to develop and may only be slowly unwound over the next couple decades. Or it could burst like a dam in a matter of years . . . I really don't know. I'm just hoping for something on the slower end.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:18 PM

809 posts, read 2,410,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Show me some stats.
Real estate prices higher in some places Appreciation in the South Side is double that of cranberry

Old 10-19-2009, 02:30 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
One great thing about the in-town neighborhoods and the streetcar suburbs (some do still have streetcars) is that you save a ton of money on gas cause you don't have to use the car for everything. And whether it's streetcar or bus, there is good public transportation, especially with the busways.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:44 PM

Sure, buy a pos in the slopes for 20K, dump in 100K, sell it for 150K, and it shows an increase. Not buying it.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:20 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The differences with some nearby East Coast cities are also pretty stark now for young families with what not too many years ago would have been realistic expectations given their household incomes.

That said, I'm not sure if this will be a rapid process, at least initially. Pittsburgh has some pretty strong national branding, much of it negative, that took over a century to develop and may only be slowly unwound over the next couple decades. Or it could burst like a dam in a matter of years . . . I really don't know. I'm just hoping for something on the slower end.

I am going with the dam bursting. But I suspect that it will be highly spotty. Folks now seem to be very herd-minded with certain areas moving in mass based on common demogaphics. I have seen it out here. All the places that appealed strongly to amenity-seeking Californians (e.g. Bend, Ashland,OR, Boulder, CO, Santa Fe, NM, Jackson Hole, WY) were blasted into the stratosphere in the bubble, but other less high-profile areas (e.g. Salem,LaGrande OR, Pueblo, CO, Cheyenne, Sheridan, WY) had very little bubble up. So, if Pittsburgh gets discovered, the hip neighborhoods will be inundated by NYC, DC, and San Fran refugees and will rise several standard deviations above the surrounding areas. That is what we saw. Not really a good thing in my mind, but perhaps in moderation it would be ok.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:32 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,185 times
Its traffic, or the lack thereof, in Pittsburgh.

In many cities, the most successful do not consider it a privilege to drive 90 mins to work... These issues are smaller in Pittsburgh, but they still exist. Look at Shady Side... easy access to downtown and Oakland for those that can afford the housing and private schools.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:46 PM

809 posts, read 2,410,079 times
Quote:
Sure, buy a pos in the slopes for 20K, dump in 100K, sell it for 150K, and it shows an increase. Not buying it.
Hey now, I'm not the one making up numbers

Old 10-19-2009, 05:35 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
That is a 25% return on your investment. Not too shabby.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That is a 25% return on your investment. Not too shabby.
No, it's not, but stating that the increase in value is superior to that in Cranberry is misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh