Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 10:42 AM

369 posts, read 2,165,664 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a 24 year old electrician from Massachusetts. In March of '08 I decided I was sick of Massachusetts high cost of living and crappy weather. So I packed my bags and moved to Phoenix, Arizona.

It's nice having sunshine 99% of the time and the cost of living is much more reasonable... But this place just isn't for me. I'm thinking about giving up all my sunny days to move back a little closer to home.

I'm wondering about Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. How is the cost of living in these 2 areas (25 mile radius from downtown)? How much does an electrician make in both of these areas? I've done my own research on the salary of an electrician in both cities and my results were inconclusive and all over the map!

Basically I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. I don't want to struggle just to make ends meet back home in MA. I guess what I'm looking for is a city where I can live within a half an hour of the action. Where I can make at least $45,000 a year as a journeyman electrician. A rent/mortgage of around $1000 per month for a 3b/2ba would be a huge plus!

It would just be myself, my girl (who is a phlebotomist...(anyone know the salary for a phlebotomist in these 2 areas? I guess around $30,000 anually)) and our 2 dogs.

Does it sound like Philly or Pitts could meet our criteria? If not, does anyone have any suggestions on what does meet our criteria? We are huge hockey/football fans. Not sure if we could live in an area with out those amenities!!

Thank you for your time. I look forward to finding more about Pennsylvania!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 10:47 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
I posted in your other thread in the main Pennsylvania forum!

Old 11-17-2009, 10:49 AM

This is what I posted:

Quote:
I think Pittsburgh is the best match.

The city meets your criteria for salary and mortgage. Your mortgage payment could even be lower in Pittsburgh for a house that size depending on the suburb.

Pittsburgh has a VERY low cost of living compared to Philadelphia.

It's much more laid back. It's a family oriented city yet has lots of cultural amenities.

Pittsburgh is a very strong union city which is a big plus for being a skilled trade worker.

Traffic is less congested and commute times are a breeze in Pittsburgh compared to Philadelphia.

Philadelphia has more sprawl and you're likely to have to live farther away from Philadelphia, in surrounding counties, to find a house you can afford.

Whereas, Pittsburgh's suburbs start literally only 10 minutes away from the center of downtown and are still affordable.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:04 AM

369 posts, read 2,165,664 times
hopes,

I saw that! awesome reply! I think I'm sold on pittsburgh! I was hoping this thread would get more attention on the pitts and philly boards.. Hope my triple post doesn't irritate anyone!! Thanks!

Old 11-17-2009, 11:21 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,352,976 times
Pittsburgh = laid back, midwestern in nature, money goes as far as anywhere with a nice pay/cost of living ratio(best in country?). Big city amenities, not so modern or cosmopolitan. Huge sports town and very unique...you may or may not "get it" though.

Philly= busy and fast, east coast in nature, fairly inexpensive for such a large city yet not as flexible as Pittsburgh in terms of cost of living. Borderline global-class city with everything you can think of. Very modern and cosmopolitan, similar to Boston without the price.

In short, both cities are similar yet different. Philly is more of a city proper where Pittsburgh is sort of like our nation's largest town. Depends on if you want fast-paced and "exciting" city life, or homegrown family-oriented life that just so happens to be in a city setting. Can't go wrong with either city, both are great...hockey and football = Pittsburgh, the Pens are too much fun to follow these days. Maybe start with Pittsburgh and then head east to Philly if you outgrow the 'Burgh or don't click with it.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 11-17-2009 at 11:51 AM..

Old 11-17-2009, 02:40 PM

You'll get more interaction from members if you ask specific questions about Pittsburgh and interact with the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh