Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:31 AM

799 posts, read 1,290,974 times

Advertisements

Recently, I was given a tour of Cleveland. In August, I will be returning the favor in Pittsburgh. I've done the Visit Pittsburgh press junket. The usual city highlights are not my cup of tea. I'm looking for Rust Belt Chic Pittsburgh recommendations and I've seen some great ideas here. I love the threads about hidden, quirky neighborhoods. If I can link a few via one of the urban staircases, so much the better. Quintessential Pittsburgh taverns are also welcome.

I'm set on a few things. We're staying downtown over the weekend. Obviously, there's a lot to do around there. He wants to go to Braddock. I want him to see Millvale and the Vanka murals.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 08:09 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,040,990 times
Duck Hollow and the associated trails would fit the bill. A rusty old rail bridge, a neighborhood that looks like piece of Central PA hidden in the City, a slag heap being reclaimed, random rusty junk buried in the forest or sunk in the river . . . all very interesting.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:15 AM

I've very interested in Duck Hollow. What's the best way to access the neighborhood? (i.e. best place to park)

Old 07-30-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post
I've very interested in Duck Hollow. What's the best way to access the neighborhood? (i.e. best place to park)
From Browns Hill Road, take Parkview Boulevard/Old Browns Hill Road. Go all the way down the hill to the river, and as you go under the railroad tracks bend right, and there is a parking lot. From there you can walk three ways: start back the way you came, but go right over the bridge and then left back under the railroad to get up into the neighborhood. If you instead go straight back the way you came up Old Browns Hill, the Nine Mile Run trail head is up the hill a bit on your right. Finally, all the way at the west end of the parking lot (down the river) is the trail head for the Duck Hollow trail.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:31 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,994,103 times
I find Fineview and the South Side Slopes to be particularly quirky in a way that is unique to Pittsburgh. I believe Rising Main Ave is the longest set of public steps in the city. From there you could check out the War Streets, it sounds like the mural on Arch and Jacksonia would appeal to you.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:13 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,979,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post
Recently, I was given a tour of Cleveland. In August, I will be returning the favor in Pittsburgh. I've done the Visit Pittsburgh press junket. The usual city highlights are not my cup of tea. I'm looking for Rust Belt Chic Pittsburgh recommendations and I've seen some great ideas here. I love the threads about hidden, quirky neighborhoods. If I can link a few via one of the urban staircases, so much the better. Quintessential Pittsburgh taverns are also welcome.

I'm set on a few things. We're staying downtown over the weekend. Obviously, there's a lot to do around there. He wants to go to Braddock. I want him to see Millvale and the Vanka murals.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
May I suggest a trip to four mile run. It starts at Greenfield Ave and Second Ave. From there you can begin by having lunch at Big Jim's. Big Jim's is known for their generous portions of great bar food. It was visited by Guy Fieri of the Food Channel.

If you walk around the neighborhood, it looks like a typical Appalachian hollow community. At the end of the main street is the Greek Orthodox Church where Andy Warhol was baptized .

In the same area is a biking /walking trail that goes past Panther Hollow. The trail runs into the original Little Italy that was once behind the old Forbes Field.

If you choose, after visiting Big Jim'"s, there is access to the Eliza Furnace trail.

I don't think you'd be disappointed if you considered this location on your itinerary.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 PM

268 posts, read 385,830 times
Great that you're including the Vanka murals at Millvale's St.Nicholas church. While in Millvale I would definitely recommend stopping at Jean Marc Chatellier's French Bakery, or the Pamela's Diner in Millvale, or Yetter's Ice Cream and Candy store (old time 50's style set up) for some yummy food.

Have fun.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:44 AM

Wow. Thanks to everyone for responding. Looks like a great itinerary. Any tavern recommendations? Ever since Chiodo's closed, I've been looking for a quintessential Pittsburgh bar. If some of you don't know about Chiodo's Tavern:

Obituary: Joe Chiodo / Owner of historic Homestead tavern - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 07-31-2012, 07:56 AM

I suspect people might have different senses of what counts as a typical Pittsburgh bar, and it may vary by neighborhood, over time, and so on.

But in my area, I think of Dunning's as being the most traditional Pittsburgh tavern, definitely the sort of place that might remind you of "Cheers" (a reference in that article about Chiodo's). They have a nice bar and the food is very Pittsburgh-traditional--robust salads with fries as a topping, good soups, and they even have Devonshires. Their fried zucchini is also very good.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I suspect people might have different senses of what counts as a typical Pittsburgh bar, and it may vary by neighborhood, over time, and so on.
I will surely give Dunning's a look. Thanks.

To provide a sense of what I am seeking: A place where the oldest and youngest drinkers mix, a la the Pittsburgh Banjo Club:

Elks.org :: Lodge #339 :: PITTSBURGH BANJO CLUB IS HOT! HOT! HOT! ON WEDNESDAYS AT THE ELKS LODGE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh