Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:00 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times

Advertisements

I live in and near wonderful down town New Kensington and would rather live in a tent in the middle of winter than live in Braddock. Seriously, New Ken ain't that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 07:03 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
I'm just wondering, have you been to Pittsburgh before or planning on coming before your move? I was asking because it may be a good idea to look around some neighborhoods and keep your eyes open for some "For Rent" signs in windows. They seem to be more cheaper than advertised rentals.

Also I was just curious, what kind of dog do you have?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 13,867 times
You guys rule. Keep the advice coming. We're visiting in March for a few days and I'm looking forward to checking out all of these areas.

I'm hoping to go to grad school while living in Pittsburgh. Our friend in Mt. Washington tells us that it's approx. 20 minutes to get from one side of the city to the other. Is this true? Will the trek to the school be long and time consuming?

What is the public transit system like?
I really dislike driving. We're going to sell one of our cars and just keep his. I'll hang on to my scooter for the warmer months, otherwise I'm hell bent on loving the bus/train systems (a good time for an english major to cram in all that reading?).

Jacksonville is the largest (land mass) city in the nation and it has the worst public transport.

My other experiences with public transit are the subways of Western Europe and New York, and the trolleys of New Orleans and Boston. How does Pittsburgh stand up? Are you liable to have to walk 6 blocks to the nearest bus stop or are they readily set in neighborhoods?

Thanks again. You are all very helpful and very kind.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:37 AM

5 posts, read 13,867 times
Also, Raubre: We have a black lab/great dane mix. He'll be two on Valentines and he weighs almost as much as I do. He's fantastic and I believe he's the only reason we haven't been burgled here in our shady Jacksonville neighborhood.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:02 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecoltrane View Post
I'm hoping to go to grad school while living in Pittsburgh. Our friend in Mt. Washington tells us that it's approx. 20 minutes to get from one side of the city to the other. Is this true? Will the trek to the school be long and time consuming?
It really matters. Add in rush hour and the dynamics change (especially on the Parkway, Route 28, and downtown). But, 20 minutes is a good estimate. Pittsburgh's city limits are not that huge. If you are driving into Oakland (where most of the universities are) you'll probably spend 20 minutes looking for a parking spot though. If you are going into Oakland during school hours or South Side during party hours (Friday and Saturday night) the parking situation is so atrocious usually that I advise you take the bus.

Quote:
What is the public transit system like?
So-so. Some routes are quick. However, there are other times it will take you an hour to move from one neighborhood to another that would have taken five minutes in your own car. It can be hit or miss at times. But, I get the impression that the very populated neighborhoods (Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, South Side, etc..) are serviced fairly well.

Quote:
Are you liable to have to walk 6 blocks to the nearest bus stop or are they readily set in neighborhoods?
Again, it varies. Some routes will be easy and speedy. Other times you're in for a lot of walking and waiting. I hardly ever ride the bus so I can't give much info on the best ways to get from one area to another. This is stuff that you will eventually pick up from experience.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:14 AM

Oh another thing, with any property you go and look at always mapquest it or ask us about it. Landlords here routinely lie about what neighborhood a property is in, in order to get more interest and bump up the rents. For example, the South Side Slopes is a decently desirable place to live. The neighborhoods above it on the hill (Mt. Oliver, Knoxville, Carrick, etc..) are not. So, if a landlord has a place on the fringes of Mt. Oliver he will say it is in the Slopes.

Every landlord I have had in this city has lied to me about at least one thing. Renter beware.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:27 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Maybe it's you. I've been a landlord for years, never lie, always treat tenants with respect.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:55 AM

"Oh...the gas bills here aren't bad." - $600 bill comes in the mail in February.

"Oh...the noise here isn't bad." - As the train rattles my house or I can hear my duplex neighbor's conversations and every movement.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:01 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
So Pittsburgh has a decent number of transit-riders for a city of its moderate size and density, thanks to a relatively good bus system (and a little light rail). The system is actually just starting an overhaul to make it faster and more efficient (although that will also involved spacing out stops a bit more--right now we have way too many), but a general rule of thumb is that you are going to get the best service going into and out of the center (AKA "radial" service), less so if you are trying to circulate between neighborhoods.

So if you know where you are going to be heading on a regular basis, it can make sense to look for a place to live that is on the same "radius". Another tip is to look into whether it would make sense to live along the T (our light rail system), or along one of the Busways (dedicated bus-only highways), particularly the East Busway, which serves Downtown. Either the T or the Busways will help provide you with the most rapid and convenient transit service available in our system.

Unfortunately, right now most of our major universities are not on one of those rapid routes--a problem we really should rectify but have been dithering about for decades. Fortunately the overhaul plan includes a "Rapid Bus" program designed in part to at least greatly improve bus service in the main university corridor--that will take some money, however, and we are hoping for some stimulus funding. Otherwise, rolling out that whole program may take a while.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:39 AM

10 posts, read 27,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Oh another thing, with any property you go and look at always mapquest it or ask us about it. Landlords here routinely lie about what neighborhood a property is in, in order to get more interest and bump up the rents. For example, the South Side Slopes is a decently desirable place to live. The neighborhoods above it on the hill (Mt. Oliver, Knoxville, Carrick, etc..) are not. So, if a landlord has a place on the fringes of Mt. Oliver he will say it is in the Slopes.

Every landlord I have had in this city has lied to me about at least one thing. Renter beware.
hit the nail on the head...bought my first home(fixer upper) last May. Cant tell you how many people claim "south side" that are up over the hill practically. It was ridiculous when looking for homes. Literally would pull up to some place to meet there agent, laugh and have to drive away. Point being, check it out before ya rent/buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh