Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:24 AM

870 posts, read 1,570,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I bet Rochester doesn't have streets with up to 35% grade.
Thank you! We have to drive up and down the hilly streets with the white stuff on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 12:22 PM

199 posts, read 521,340 times
I live in Knoxville, TN and the response to the idea of snow is ridiculous. They seriously cancel school if there's even a possibility of snow. No joke. I often say, "no wonder Tennessee is so low in education; the kids are never there!"

And of course, there's the looting of grocery stores. Then there's the people that start driving as if the streets are already covered when in fact nothing has even started falling yet.

I was born and raised here, but I can't help but laugh my butt off at these people. Granted, I spent time in NYC and Pittsburgh (hoping to move back to Pittsburgh ASAP) and was able to hone my winter skills a bit, but even so... less than an inch and these people go into Y2K mode all over again. (2 liters of water included.)

Old 02-06-2010, 04:20 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
You learn to handle whatever is "normal" for your region. Rochester, and cities in that region get heavy snowfalls every winter. The people are used to it, and have, by necessity, learned to deal with it. Pittsburgh gets this type of storm about once a decade. Thus we're really not set up to deal with it. We get plenty of 3-6 inch type snows, and we handle them much better. In places like Alabama, big snows are rare. It wouldn't make sense for them to invest in large amounts of road salt, plows, and other snow removal equipment. Thus, when a rare snow hits, they just shut down for a day or two.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:29 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
I was just thinking if this became something regular, I'd start a collection to fund a neighborhood snow service with proper equipment. But if it doesn't become something regular, it probably makes sense to just have to muddle through with our own shovels.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:25 PM

102 posts, read 161,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
How would 'bama handle a 12-18" storm?

LOL

They'd all run screaming for the hills....or evacuate to Florida or Mexico! Haha!

I love snow myself. I was able to experience it first hand when I was in Kentucky my freshman year of college. I can't wait to get to experience it again when I move to Pittsburgh later this year!

Old 02-06-2010, 07:27 PM

48 posts, read 146,914 times
This sounds similar to a hurricane here in Florida.The year we got hit with 2 here in Tampa (the year Pittsburgh got Ivan) power was out for 5 days each.You can't stay at your house because after it passes through you're back to 90+ degree temps with brutal humidity.Then they tell you to boil your water before using it.I guess both are better than living in California and having your house slide down a hill.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:18 PM

14 posts, read 28,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwair View Post
I was born and raised here, but I can't help but laugh my butt off at these people. Granted, I spent time in NYC and Pittsburgh (hoping to move back to Pittsburgh ASAP) and was able to hone my winter skills a bit, but even so... less than an inch and these people go into Y2K mode all over again. (2 liters of water included.)
yeah and hell all breaks loose when there are snow storms. People would freak if we are getting just 6 inches and have to stock up on that mount of snow. lol I wait until we are due for more than a foot. Then I go shopping. lol

Old 02-07-2010, 09:30 AM

78 posts, read 140,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I had to go grocery shoipping last night (my regualr night, payday.) They actually had milk, but no bread! WHat horror!
I went shopping Friday because I knew I'd run out of puppy food! (And my husband wanted bottled water -- he hasn't taken a liking to "Pittsburgh tap" yet.) Anyway, when I called him to complain that there were no carts (at the Market District-Waterfront), he asked me if I had bread and milk. When I told him "no," (and that his jugs of water were breaking my wrists) he said he would have to call Homeland Security to report me for not providing my family with the proper provisions! :-)

Haven't dug out yet, but having lived in the "snow hole" that is Paxton, Massachusetts (where we frequently had drifts in excess of 8 feet!), this is a piece of cake! -- Oh . . . did I mentioned I haven't dug out yet? Or that I know my car is completely incapable of getting up or down my street without hitting anything? But yeah, as long as I have bread, toilet paper, and ribs for the Super Bowl, I'm good. (As for milk . . . does buttermilk or half-and-half count? It's all I've got!)

And I love what BrianTH said about D.C. and cannabalism! I went to Georgetown, and he couldn't be more on the money with his comments!

Old 02-07-2010, 09:01 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz06 View Post
I live in Alabama. The city shuts down with a dusting. I always say to my mom...."God-forbid they ever live in upstate New York...there would be no bread or milk left!" Haha!
Same thing In Dallas, people panic over the smallest dusting of snow. Rush to the store and stock up like its the end of the world. On the rare occasion we do even get that dusting it always melts within 24 hours. Yet every store in town is wall to wall people with their carts piled high.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:22 PM

875 posts, read 1,490,206 times
Moderator cut: off topic/orphaned

That said, I AM concerned about this next round of snow seeing the level of response to this major snow event. Did people forget how snow works in this city? What happened to working weekends during a "state of emergency"? I know plows can't reach everywhere, but I've already helped dig out two cars stuck out in front of my apartment and watched a third as well.

Last edited by Yac; 02-08-2010 at 05:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh