Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 10:57 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,671,894 times

Advertisements

Kept meaning to post this, was on the front of the current Business Times:

Burns & Scalo to build Downtown high-rise on Smithfield St. - Pittsburgh Business Times:

Unfortunately at this moment it is subscriber-only. I believe on Friday, or next Monday, the entire article should be available to everyone. It's only when it's in the current issue that some stories are locked to subscribers only.

What follows in the article is a lot of waffling talk about what type of use they will shoot for (apparently, whatever there is most demand for it seems). They wouldn't be opposed to doing mixed office/hotel like 3 PNC, but they don't think there will be financing out there for a hotel. It's a good spot, though, right by the Mon river with views of and visible from all around that side.

Unfortunately it also says they could develop student housing for nearby Point Park and Art Institute. That would be boring. Would love to see them consider real residential (apartments/condos) instead, but it's probably more work than they want, although apartment building is listed as a possibility.

Whatever it is, it'll be restricted to 160 feet, about 16 floors, but it seems like they would intend to make full use of the height.

Keep an eye on it. Could be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 11:05 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,034,418 times
A few random thoughts:

(1) I'm always pleased to see a plan for one of Downtown's surface parking lots, and this would fill a big gap in the frontage of Downtown from Mt. Washington as well;

(2) Point Park University already has plans for a new 12-story, 400-bed residential hall on the same block along Fourth Avenue. That doesn't mean there isn't room for more student housing, but I think it would be ideal to have student-priced apartments, which could serve Duquesne as well (plus other potential Downtown residents on a budget);

(3) I know financing for hotels is in a HUGE national slump, but we could really use some decent budget hotel options Downtown--although again there is a plan for such a hotel just up Fort Pitt Boulevard;

(4) Finally, I'd personally support a zoning variance to allow them to build up to something in the 20-25 story range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh