Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 AM

374 posts, read 1,284,951 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Forest Hills and noticed several alien looking bugs with shields on their backs lurking on my outside windows and even in the house. I did a little research and the earned the name “stink” bugs because they omit a foul odor. Does anyone know how to get rid of these things for good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 08:18 AM

225 posts, read 1,075,114 times
There is nothing that I know of that would get rid of these annoying creatures. They seem to be able to get in anywhere. The good news is that they don't last long but the bad news is that they will be back again come September or October.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:48 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,932,442 times
These are the bugs that look like lady bugs right? They infested my parents house every spring and fall. There are many on the southern windows. I read they came from Asia, and were brought here to actually be used to fight other pests. They are harmless, but will invade your windows. They admit that foul oder if you squish them. The best way to get rid of them is to sweap them into a cup and flush them. That way they don't admit that odor. The odor isn't bad, it just has a obnoxious pee smell.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
This is a stink bug:

I researched them a few months ago. I wondered where they came from because I didn't remember them from childhood. It turns out that they're from China. I understand that Pennsylvania was the first place they were introduced to North America----by accident, probably by freight transport. They've only been around for about 10 years. The good news is they are just a nusiance. The best way to get rid of them is to identify and close off how they are entering the building.

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug - Penn State Entomology Department Fact Sheet

Old 05-04-2009, 09:44 AM

374 posts, read 1,284,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is a stink bug:

I researched them a few months ago. I wondered where they came from because I didn't remember them from childhood. It turns out that they're from China. I understand that Pennsylvania was the first place they were introduced to North America----by accident, probably by freight transport. They've only been around for about 10 years. The good news is they are just a nusiance. The best way to get rid of them is to identify and close off how they are entering the building.

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug - Penn State Entomology Department Fact Sheet

Yup that them... I actually smashed on just to see if the was an odor and there wasn't. I think they're getting through the central air.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:46 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,851 times
OMG, I just started having these in my house LAST year! They LOVE the window seals. My daughter is afraid of any type of bug, so this isn't sitting well with her....lmao..she keeps calling it the NEW BUG because she never saw it before and neither have I, until last year...and she said a few of her friends in school, have been discussing that they have them too, now.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:32 AM

70 posts, read 511,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is a stink bug:
Wow! I was not prepared for the giant bug picture to take up my whole screen... haha.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:32 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,788 times
Never have had stink bugs, but we do have Boxelders a lot in the spring and fall around my house and they smell too!

Boxelder Bugs

Old 05-04-2009, 01:01 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
These are the bugs that look like lady bugs right?
THOSE are Asian beetles.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:11 PM

727 posts, read 1,890,758 times
Wow thx!! I've been trying to find what kind of bugs those are for the longest. I get them all the time in my shag rug and I crushed them a couple times and they let off this strong odor. I thought they were a breed of roaches although I never had roaches in my home. How do you get rid of this darn things? Theyre annoying!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh