Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:49 AM

142 posts, read 365,484 times

Advertisements

If I asked where the straight areas are in Pittsburgh, I would be labeled as a homophobe. There's just an enormous double standard. If equality is truly the goal, then why separate yourself? The Pittsburgh I know is no different than the Pittsburgh gay people know and enjoy. We root for the same sports teams, work at the same offices, enjoy the great natural landscapes, eat at the same restaurants, etc. etc. The only exception I can think of is gay bars or the like.

The only reason people have a hard time meeting like-minded people is because they box themselves into a nice little comfort zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 08:25 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,009,142 times
It isn't really a double-standard when you are talking about something like 10% of the population versus 90% of the population (estimates vary), and moreover when there has relatively recently been some hostility to gay people in our society. Note the OP didn't act for exclusively gay areas, just gay-friendly areas, and indeed typically gay people will still actually be the minority in those areas.

Conversely, pretty much everywhere is going to be "straight-friendly", and indeed majority straight, which is why people will wonder exactly what you could be thinking if you start asking things like "where are the straight areas?" Given the factual context, many people will conclude what you mean is areas that are exclusively straight, and that isn't the same thing at all.

Of course it is fine to note that gay and straight people can and should mingle freely as neighbors, co-workers, friends, family, and so on. But I don't think we have to pretend there aren't legitimate reasons why gay people in particular might want to make sure there are a decent number of gay people around, something straight people logically take for granted will be the case no matter where they end up.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:19 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,984 times
OP - be sure to check out Heat in the Strip District (clubby), Donny's in Polish Hill on the weekends (divey but packed on Fri. and Sat.), and Liberty Avenue Saloon in downtown.

Not that I've ever been in any of those places.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:25 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,947 times
Back to the original question:

The LGBT scene in Pittsburgh is pretty good. You'll find the typical bars and clubs to frequent if you choose the late night scene. Happy hours are also popular at some places. There are more than 100 LGBT clubs and organizations in town, from running and bowling to community service and social organizations. Most of the major corporations in the city offer domestic partner benefits, of course, so maybe your employer does, as well. The is a Gay and Lesbian Film Festival in the fall, a week-long Pride in June with a two-day bash downtown, including "Pride in the Streets," where a six-block section of Liberty Avenue is closed off for a huge festival and concert.

Pittsburgh is also fortunate to have a great arts and culture scene not only in the downtown Cultural District but in small experimental theaters and music.

Lots of other bars and restaurants in the East End, while not exclusively gay, are certainly gay-friendly, so I wouldn't worry about feeling out of place. Everybody seems to get along pretty well.

Overall, gay people are represented in all occupations and have some political power. The City Council person from the South Side is gay and was elected in what used to be a working-class neighborhood that has changed and gentrified over the years.

I think that you'll find something that will interest you when you move here. Go out and get involved in something and you'll have friends for life. Welcome.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:33 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Doesn't everyone throw their opinions around like they're facts on here? It's the internet, that's how we roll. If we wanted facts, we'd go to news sites.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:40 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,454 times
I also am friends with a gay male couple who sold their condo in the 'burbs to move to the Mexican War Streets because they felt it was a gay friendly area. Just to add two more cents.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:45 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,628,951 times
I think the shock about the Mexican War Streets comes from the fact that it neighbors many high crime areas in the North Side. Personally, the MWS is probably safe, but just too close for comfort to those other areas (Manchester mainly)

Old 04-22-2010, 02:20 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,345 times
I dated someone from the Mexican War Streets...it IS a gay area...half of his street were gay couples/gay singles.

Anyone know of any QUALITY gay events/happenings in Pittsburgh. I've lived here all of my life and despise bars and clubs gay or straight. It'd be great to find someone NOT in a bar or club.

Also Pittsburgh has OUTrageous Bingo monthly, sponsored by the GLCC. Very good event, attendance is always packed, 400+ people...it's always sold out. All proceeds benefit the GLCC and various gay community foundations.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:32 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Of course it is fine to note that gay and straight people can and should mingle freely as neighbors, co-workers, friends, family, and so on. But I don't think we have to pretend there aren't legitimate reasons why gay people in particular might want to make sure there are a decent number of gay people around, something straight people logically take for granted will be the case no matter where they end up.
Josh is "post-gay."

Old 04-22-2010, 03:35 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
I dated someone from the Mexican War Streets...it IS a gay area...half of his street were gay couples/gay singles.

Anyone know of any QUALITY gay events/happenings in Pittsburgh. I've lived here all of my life and despise bars and clubs gay or straight. It'd be great to find someone NOT in a bar or club.

Also Pittsburgh has OUTrageous Bingo monthly, sponsored by the GLCC. Very good event, attendance is always packed, 400+ people...it's always sold out. All proceeds benefit the GLCC and various gay community foundations.
I get invites all the time via e-mail from the GLCC. If I didn't know anyone gay here, I'd get on their mailing list.

GLCC Home (http://www.glccpgh.org/Home.aspx - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh