Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 01:38 PM

5 posts, read 9,018 times

Advertisements

First post here. We're moving back to Pittsburgh after being away for many years and we are buying a house in the east end. It needs the electrical system redone (it still has fuses), so we are looking for an electrican who can be recommended by someone with personal experience. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 01:58 PM

357 posts, read 888,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterCL View Post
First post here. We're moving back to Pittsburgh after being away for many years and we are buying a house in the east end. It needs the electrical system redone (it still has fuses), so we are looking for an electrican who can be recommended by someone with personal experience. Thanks in advance.
We used Mendelson Electric :: Home and they did a good work.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:30 AM

57 posts, read 186,255 times
I've used Ferry Electric for big and small jobs. Great guys, although their prices have gone up over the years.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterCL View Post
We always use my husband's childhood friend. I'll PM his name and contact information if you're interested in going the independent, non-union route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchbooks View Post
I've used Ferry Electric for big and small jobs. Great guys, although their prices have gone up over the years.
I've used Ferry for office buildouts. They are very good and have always finished on time. Since they are a union company, they're rather expensive for residential.

I only use union companies for commercial/office space because the office buildings downtown have contracts requiring all work be done by union workers.

For residential, I prefer to use independent contractors for various trades --- same quality for less money.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:42 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,537 times
Eddie's Electric: Home Page

I haven't had to use an electrician personally any time recently, but I've worked alongside Eddie and his guys for years, and I don't hesisitate to recommend him.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:01 AM

5 posts, read 9,018 times
Hopes -- yes, please, do send the name of the electrician. And thanks everyone for the other recommendations!

Old 04-28-2010, 12:32 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,537 times
Quote:
...and I don't hesisitate to recommend him.
Nor do I "hesitate" to recommend him.

(Geez, I hate when I do that.)

Old 10-10-2010, 09:27 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,795 times
If you are just getting a new service (new weatherhead, panel with fuses, etc..) it should be around $1,000. If you are getting all new outlets and such (fishing MC behind walls, etc..) it will get more expensive. Be very careful. There are a lot of ripoff artists out there who want to take uninformed people's money.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:40 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,472 times
I use Affordable Electric. They are father and son and have always done a great job whether it be large or small and at a reasonable rate. 412-821-3660
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh