Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 12:05 PM

12 posts, read 44,306 times

Advertisements

Alliquippa isn't a very good place, lot's of stores boarded up, high crime and gangs/drugs. You might want to try Cranberry twp, north of the city. It's the fastest growing city in PA (per our realtor) if that's what your looking for, but it's a nice area (good for commuting, good shopping) Mars was nice as well. We also looked in Bethal Park (south of the city) there's a twp there, I think it's Peters or St. Peters, nice as well (watch the taxes!) You might want to find an area that has the "T" (subway) if you might need to commute into the city. We didn't have a problem finding a job, not making what we made in So Cal, but you can live for less and I'm now staying home. My husband and I came out for 1 week last winter (Native to SoCal)so we could see what it was like (8 degrees while house hunting) and looked at 7 different areas within 1 hour of Pgh. It's not like LA with miles of sprawl; within minutes outside the city, there's wooded areas, cute neighborhoods. Best bet is to contact different real estate agents and make time to come visit and see the towns. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 09:58 AM

831 posts, read 879,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligirlrefugee View Post
Hi All,
I have been reading this forum with great interest for the past few weeks. I live in Southern California and am looking to relocate in the next few years. I am tired of the high cost of living/housing, the acceptance of poor social behavior and crime as being the norm, and feeling like a minority in my own neighborhoods.
My mom grew up in Johnstown which lends me to looking into PA as a new home for us. I need to convince my mom to move with us if and when we go and I think taking back to her home state is an easier sell .
Here is my question: is it realistic to expect a slower pace of life with good people and a nice place to raise my three children, along with being able to secure employment in the field of loss prevention (hubby) and working with developmentally disabled/social work (me). I know people get wrapped up in the "grass being greener" on the other side and I don't want to be disappointed in making a move across the country to find the grass just as brown as it is here in California
Thanks for the input... I am optimistic but want to be realistic at the same time... there is good and bad everwhere but am longing for the good to OUTWEIGH the bad for a change....
Absolutely! Pittsburgh is fantastic!!

Old 06-28-2012, 10:07 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
As a courtesy to the rest of the City Data Pittsburgh forum, before bumping old threads in order to respond to a particular poster, one should confirm that the poster being responded to is still a regular City Data Pittsburgh poster. You can do this by clicking their name and looking at their recent posts.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:18 AM

831 posts, read 879,132 times
Ooopsies! Sorry about that.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:27 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Unless you're a serious wine collector or a Ravens fan, Pittsburgh is a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh