Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 01:14 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
File:US Federal Debt as Percent of GDP by President.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

United States public debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, he increased national debt. As did Reagan and Bush Sr.
Kinda typical for the last couple of republican presidents really.

All those expensive bombs aren't being bought by the people they're landing on, now are they?

Presidents don't spend money. Congress does.

Here's a link...

U.S. Constitution | LII / Legal Information Institute

How Did GW Bush Cause Our Current Economic Problems?-deficits.bmp

Hmm, look who ran Congress when the highest deficits were racked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 01:48 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Presidents don't spend money. Congress does.

Here's a link...

U.S. Constitution | LII / Legal Information Institute

Attachment 64084

Hmm, look who ran Congress when the highest deficits were racked up.
With budgets pretty much exactly what the GOP Presidents wanted

Old 06-13-2010, 07:21 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Hmmm... that's not what Fannie Mae's former chief credit officer says:

Yes, the CRA Is Toxic by Edward Pinto
What he says and what he knows appear to be 2 different things.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:59 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
File:US Federal Debt as Percent of GDP by President.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

United States public debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, he increased national debt. As did Reagan and Bush Sr.
Kinda typical for the last couple of republican presidents really.

All those expensive bombs aren't being bought by the people they're landing on, now are they?
Ahh no..
1) Presidents dont control debt, Congress does
2) Presidents dont control GDP, the public does
3) Debt as a % to GDP is an effect of the economic problems.

We already know the economy has economic problems, the question is, WHAT DID BUSH DO TO CAUSE IT..

FAIL!!

Old 06-13-2010, 08:00 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
no bush didn't do it all on his own. I have to state the obvious? but sorry his admin takes the heat, just like obamas will take the heat for the crud that goes wrong in his admin. yes bush was at the head and steered the ship while it went down. if you think not getting invited to the convention was merely because of his poll numbers you are the naive one. he was not invited because his own party thought he did a cr#p job. yes the buck does stop at the desk of the POTUS
Through all of this gibborish, you admit that Bush is getting the heat for the incompetent Democrats running Congress? Ok, here we agree

Old 06-13-2010, 08:43 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
What he says and what he knows appear to be 2 different things.
Not really, unless you're underinformed:
RealClearMarkets - How Did Paul Krugman Get It So Wrong?

Old 06-13-2010, 09:20 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
He didn't sign NAFTA, CFMA or GLBA.

He didn't repeal Glass-Steigall or mandate the GSEs buy CRA subprime home loans that later became the toxic elements in the unregulated CDOs behind the subprime meltdown.

He didn't take the advice of Robert Rubin and Larry Summers to leave credit default swaps free of regulation.

On Monday President Clinton announced an "all-out" campaign to lobby Congress to pass permanent most-favored-nation status for China. The lobbying will be rough, with a fully mobilized American business community working as the iron fist inside the administration's velvet glove. The same day Clinton kicked off his new campaign, U.S. Chamber of Commerce President Thomas Donohue warned, on cue, that members of Congress who oppose permanent trade status for China "will find themselves in an unhappy situation with the business community."

Clinton's China Two-Step - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace

“On derivatives, yeah I think they were wrong and I think I was wrong to take [their advice] because the argument on derivatives was that these things are expensive and sophisticated and only a handful of investors will buy them and they don’t need any extra protection, and any extra transparency. The money they’re putting up guarantees them transparency,” Clinton told me.

Clinton: I Was Wrong to Listen to Wrong Advice Against Regulating Derivatives* - Political Punch

Clinton vowed to veto the Senate version of the bill unless it was re-written to include "requirements that banks make loans to minorities, farmers, and others who have had little access to credit." The new version passed 90-8 in the Senate, passed the House, and Clinton signed it into law. Clinton's required reworking of the bill should be studied closely to see what role, if any, it played in illegal, often racist, subprime loans at higher rates than Caucasian borrowers were offered.

ICKY PEOPLE: Phil Gramm, Bill Clinton Key Culprits in Subprime Meltdown

[YouTube - President Bill Clinton - Remarks on the Signing of NAFTA]
Just backing up a little: regarding the CRA, would you like to make $100,000?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ect-100-a.html

Old 06-13-2010, 09:52 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
I watched Bush's last press conference. He TWICE blamed his problems on President Clinton:

"I inherited a recession" and "These problems started before my Presidency" were both statements Pres. Bush made.

However, look solely at President Bush's record on JOB CREATION, which is usually some kind of economic barometer of success.

Any idiot can talk tough, any idiot can bomb a defenseless nation, any idiot can start a war. What about Americans going to work? President Clinton created jobs and he put Americans to work while balancing the budget. GRADE: B+

Pres. Bush put Americans OUT of work. Heck'uva job. GRADE: Fail

Quote:
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The hemorrhaging of American jobs accelerated at a record pace at the end of 2008, bringing the year's total job losses to 2.6 million or the highest level in more than six decades. A sobering U.S. Labor Department jobs report Friday showed the economy lost 524,000 jobs in December and 1.9 million in the year's final four months, after the credit crisis began in September.

The unemployment rate rose to 7.2% last month from 6.7% in November - its highest rate since January 1993.

The steep annual drop in jobs marked the highest yearly job-loss total since 1945, the year in which World War II ended.
Total 2008 job loss: 2.6 million - Jan. 9, 2009

Old 06-13-2010, 10:50 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I watched Bush's last press conference. He TWICE blamed his problems on President Clinton:

"I inherited a recession" and "These problems started before my Presidency" were both statements Pres. Bush made.
I didnt know that about blaming Clinton in the last press conference.

Hmmm, and that was what, EIGHT YEARS after he took office????????????????????????????

Old 06-13-2010, 11:15 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Through all of this gibborish, you admit that Bush is getting the heat for the incompetent Democrats running Congress? Ok, here we agree

1. In what year of Bush Presidency did the Democrats take over Congress? wasn't that January 5, 2007?
2. When did the recession actually start? December 2007. Democrats were only in control 11 months
3. Two unpaid wars was launched under Bush, and who was the majority in Congress at this time? Repbulicans

So with the fact that the Democrats were NOT running Congress the full 8 years of Bush Presidency, you chose to excuse the Republicans incompentence for 6 of the 8 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies