Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did the Seattle girl who got punched by the cop deserve it?
Yes 131 79.88%
No 33 20.12%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:19 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,212,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
The girl that shoved him was about his size. You ask him to use restraint and also say he doesn't have the physical ability to restrain them. I think the punch he threw was less force than mace or a taser. Mace is nasty and effects the victim for hours, plus anyone else in the vicinity. He was surrounded by people and a little incident can quickly escalate. These guys make like $12/hr around here, yet we expect them to react perfectly to every incident and put up with the crap that they do. If we are going to hold them to a higher standard like you suggest, we should also pay them a higher salary. You get what you pay for. I'm a flaming liberal willing to give this cop a break. He did just fine, except that he should have talked more to try to quell the situation. I'm sure he'll learn from it, if he doesn't find a better job first.
I said he didn't appear to have the physical capability to restrain her, but I think that could have been overcome if he weren't so inexperienced/intimidated by his surroundings. Don't care if mace or taser hurts more. Is that the contest now? Use the force that hurts less? I'm talking about what force I believe would have been appropriate. Don't think cops should EVER strike a citizen with their fists. If the situation was to the point where he couldn't handle it, draw your weapon and order them on the ground. Also don't care how much he makes...he signed up for the job. Don't think he should've talked more either...these girls were unruly, obviously didn't respect the cop, and thought he was soft. Punching her in the face proved their point, actually. A drawn weapon with STERN orders to get on the ground would have shut them up ASAP. Resorting to thug-like behavior does not impress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 02:20 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,884,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I said he didn't appear to have the physical capability to restrain her, but I think that could have been overcome if he weren't so inexperienced/intimidated by his surroundings. Don't care if mace or taser hurts more. Is that the contest now? Use the force that hurts less? I'm talking about what force I believe would have been appropriate. Don't think cops should EVER strike a citizen with their fists. If the situation was to the point where he couldn't handle it, draw your weapon and order them on the ground. Also don't care how much he makes...he signed up for the job. Don't think he should've talked more either...these girls were unruly, obviously didn't respect the cop, and thought he was soft. Punching her in the face proved their point, actually. A drawn weapon with STERN orders to get on the ground would have shut them up ASAP. Resorting to thug-like behavior does not impress.
And if they still resisted,should he have shot them?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Back up was already called,what other means could he have used from the evidence on the video?
Draw your weapon and order them on the ground. His contant tussling with them put him in an even more dangerous position (they could have taken his weapon if they had murderous intentions). Don't wrestle (and certain don't punch) unruly, disorderly criminals. Draw your weapon and order them on the ground. In the case of most teens, you'll meet with compliance.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:22 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,203,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
LOL. That girl got what she deserved.
Yep friggin' weakling cop couldn't even throw enough of a punch to immobilize her,
he needs to spend some time in the ring!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:22 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,100,281 times
Both women are lucky they didn't a) get tasered and/or b.) get shot, c) beat w/ a baton, d) maced & then tasered, e) maced, tasered, beat w/ a baton, and then shot.

They will be going to jail for a long time. Regardless if the cop started it, or escalated the arrest. The moment she turned around, and the moment her friend extended her hand towards the cop it became assault and a 2 v 1 situation where the officer in these times is authorized to use deadly force.

They got very lucky.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Draw your weapon and order them on the ground. His contant tussling with them put him in an even more dangerous position (they could have taken his weapon if they had murderous intentions). Don't wrestle (and certain don't punch) unruly, disorderly criminals. Draw your weapon and order them on the ground. In the case of most teens, you'll meet with compliance.
And if they refuse,then what,shoot them?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
And if they still resisted,should he have shot them?
Punching her in the face calmed her down; I think a drawn gun would have been even more successful. Only those with true murderous intent would continue to assault an officer with a drawn weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Yep friggin' weakling cop couldn't even throw enough of a punch to immobilize her,
You mustn't have watched the same video...she was out of the picture for the rest of the video...in fact she stood there and waited to be arrested...

5,238 posts, read 8,799,596 times
Quote:
Sure. Drawing your gun on a crowded street over a jaywalking ticket is a better response than what occurred.

Sorry, I thought I was replying to a reasonable person. Carry on.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies