Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:40 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
My black friends say do not call them African- American, because they are not African, they are American. They want to be called black, cause they are. Enough said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
For my part, leave the African stuff back in Africa. In a formal context, however, I wouldn't necessarily object to its use.
Do yall think all Asians are born in Asia? LAMO can you imagine, don't call me Asian I'm not from Asia, I want to be me call yellow ) . or don't call me Native American call me red? And yall do know white is Interchangeable with causcaian? the caucasus mountains are in europe by the way. African American is like saying Native American, Asian American or even Caucasian American the only thing different is Asian and caucasian are commonly used with out even being a Adjective to American. Let me point this out because this is what's going on. scenario
  • If a Asian family has Asian pottery. Seen as cultural
  • If a Native Amer. family has Native pottery. Seen as cultural
  • If a Black family has African pottery. People would say their separating their not American.
  • If a White family has European pottery it would pass as non racial all together.
It’s sad this is still relevant W. E. B. Du Bois. coin the term double consciousness used to describe individuals whose identity are divided into several facets. Referring to the racism that excluded black Americans from the mainstream of society, being American or not American. most significantly, the internal conflict between being African and American simultaneously. I tell you straight up if someone black in America say there not African American they have a double consciousness issue. It’s like someone saying I’m not a girl I’m Christian? they do not conflict. Because blacks are a minority group what’s going on is some blacks are trying to prove their American while being American. Their’s horrible stereotypes of blacks as un patriotic. And with that somehow being African descent is a conflict with being American. Serious I’m a, Christian American, American male. a Christian male. Christian of African descent. African American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 08:41 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Wrong. I have known a few African whites (from South Africa) who became American citizens. Even though they are now African Americans, they are still white.

They are white South Africans who live in America. They are not African Americans.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:48 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Wrong. I have known a few African whites (from South Africa) who became American citizens. Even though they are now African Americans, they are still white.
Most Africans I know refer to their home countries when asked about their nationality, not the whole continent.

But then again, most of the Africans I know are black. The white Africans seem to be the only ones that are confused.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:56 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
As for the OP, I prefer to be called black myself. Most black folks I know really don't give a rip whether you call them black or African American.

Whites and other non-blacks are more concerned about this than black folks.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:37 AM

137 posts, read 170,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Most Africans I know refer to their home countries when asked about their nationality, not the whole continent.

But then again, most of the Africans I know are black. The white Africans seem to be the only ones that are confused.
I have Somalian friends who are African, but not really black. I have a Cuban friend who is cubano-chino, but he's very black. I have a friend from Tunisia (Africa) and he looks almost Italian. I have a friend who is dating a girl from South Africa with one American parent (African-American) and she's a white Jewish girl!

All of them could be considered African-American by some PC person, but that's exactly why the term "African-American" is as stupid as they come.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:30 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
Have any of you actually met a black person who told you to call them african american? Honestly? I mean in a real world setting, not some speech or whatever.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:38 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,799 times
Why not just Americans? Is there a need to distinguish a color?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:48 AM

137 posts, read 170,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
Because we do.

What's so wrong with distinguising color? When you describe someone by their looks, the color is clearly an important thing.

What's so offensive about saying someone's skin is a certain color?

Personally, I am someone who gets mistaken for many different ethniticities, and none of them are ever actually accurate!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:50 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
Because when you describe someone that's not white, you'll usually say "that *insert color here* guy/girl."

Old 06-16-2010, 10:51 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveycrockettino View Post
Because we do.

What's so wrong with distinguising color? When you describe someone by their looks, the color is clearly an important thing.

What's so offensive about saying someone's skin is a certain color?

Personally, I am someone who gets mistaken for many different ethniticities, and none of them are ever actually accurate!
I didn't say there was anything wrong with it; I just don't see the need of saying, "You know my friend, so-and-so, that Black American yada yada yada."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies