Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the BP being forced to put $ 20 billion in escrow
Agree ( Democrat) 32 25.40%
Disagree (Democrat) 0 0%
Agree (Republican) 8 6.35%
Disagree (Republican) 16 12.70%
Agree (Independent/ Other) 55 43.65%
Disagree (Independent/ Other) 15 11.90%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:12 PM

18,390 posts, read 19,023,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm GLAD BP is doing the RIGHT thing, but they are doing so by choice

Do I want their damages capped, no.. People should be responsible for the damages they cause.. But their damages ARE capped..

Yes, if they are doing whats RIGHT, even though the law says they dont HAVE to pay, then I have no reason to think they wouldnt be paying what they already are..

You cant MAKE them pay.. The law limits their liability.. Any judge would throw the lawsuit out..

It was the GOVERNMENTS responsibility to purchase insurance to cover the damages in the event of a disaster.. The GOVERNMENT failed.. and I dont think the GOVERNMENT should be let off the hook for their inability to abide by a contract/law they put into place...
you have more faith in them I do thats for sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 06:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I said, I thought BP paying the claims and taking care of the responsibility was good for their business as in the PR it would give them. giving them an image of people who care behind the big corp that they are.
But as the poll results show, most people dont care that they are doing the right thing because they WANT to..
Quote:
I doubt BP would go out of business from any boycott, there isn't enough people to take them down willing to boycott them long enough to do so.
They would have to boycott ALL oil products to harm BP.. No one is willing to do that.. At least we agree on the stupidity of a boycott
Quote:
they just have to weather the storm. I hope they do the right thing.
They've already shown their willingness to do the right thing.. Which is why I cant understand the anger over the $20B.. Anger for the spill, sure.. But its not like that was on purpose..
Quote:
you have more faith in them I do thats for sure
I have faith in things which give me reasons to have faith in them.. By doing the right thing, over the legal thing, they've earned my faith on this issue.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:20 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
So if you think BP wasnt going to do the right thing, and pay the claims, then tell me under what LEGAL authority the government used to "make BP pay"?
First of all I think if BP would have refused to pay things would have been made very difficult for them to continue doing business in the U.S.

Secondly, aside from that aspect the PR issue. BP is already going through a major public relations problem with the spill. They knew that once the $20 billion escrow fund was put out there if they refused it, the PR disaster they have been going through would have gotten much worse.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:44 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I know we have several threads on the subject already, but I think we should have a poll on the subject.

In wake of the comments by Republican reps Bachmann and Barton in which they criticized the Obama administration for basically forcing BP to set up a $20 billion escrow account for the damages of the oil spill (comments in which they, especially Barton were criticized for by members of his own party),

Do you agree or disagree with the Obama administration basically forcing BP to set up the $ 20 billion escrow account.
I disagree because of the way this was handled. This was thug politics.

Secondly, we know that isn't enough (but Obama left the door open).

Thirdly, we don't yet know all the costs; it was premature.

Finally, back to thug politics...this was not the right way to handle it. It was in totally bad form.

Obama proved himself a "thug". Unbecoming of a President of the United States. Very bad, Obama. Very bad. You did us no favors as a Country. Is this going to improve our image? Doubtfull.

Obama is just plain stupid! That's all.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:59 PM

18,390 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
But as the poll results show, most people dont care that they are doing the right thing because they WANT to..
I think the poll indicates more that we don't trust them to do the right thing because of past behavior. we are glad they put money into an escrow account to at least assure us there will be some payment. they at least will not be able to wiggle out of the first 20 billion. if they always did the right thing because that is the kind of company they are this gusher probably would not have happened.

They would have to boycott ALL oil products to harm BP.. No one is willing to do that.. At least we agree on the stupidity of a boycott

They've already shown their willingness to do the right thing.. Which is why I cant understand the anger over the $20B.. Anger for the spill, sure.. But its not like that was on purpose..I don't think they did this on purpose, killed 11 people and allow oil to gush into the gulf at the rate it is. but they do have a habit of bypassing safety for the sake of saving money.

I have faith in things which give me reasons to have faith in them.. By doing the right thing, over the legal thing, they've earned my faith on this issue.
many times people, companies don't do the right thing, which is why some laws are in acted or pressure is brought to bear so they do, do the right thing.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:42 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
If anybody understands the way the world works, BP has to pay back the destruction they have wrought. This is the only way they can act to earn shareholder trust and get their stocks back up, maybe someday.

It is all always about the stocks, o little ones. BP execs did not wake up the day after the explosion and suddenly discover ethical ways of doing things.

I feel pretty confident some people will end up behind bars for what happened before this is all over.

Manslaughter, 11 lives.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:44 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
BP reportedly to raise $50 billion for spill

Sunday Times: $20 billion from asset sale, $20 billion from loans

Hopefully this will calm some of you down

Old 06-20-2010, 08:00 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post

BP is putting up $20 billion but is already working to have the other parties that are liable pay them back some of this expense. Most people do not know that it was BP's idea to setup the fund in which they will put the $20 billion...it was not Obama 's idea, but you'd never know it the way the Obama administration has politicized things.

Also, if it came down to it, the U.S. could only seize BP's real property assets, not BP's cash.

I look for a few of the companies that are parties to the liability for the oil spill to file for bankruptcy soon.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I think the poll indicates more that we don't trust them to do the right thing because of past behavior. we are glad they put money into an escrow account to at least assure us there will be some payment. they at least will not be able to wiggle out of the first 20 billion. if they always did the right thing because that is the kind of company they are this gusher probably would not have happened.
The poll doesnt show anything but the amount of hate which exists in this country for businesses, even when they are doing the right thing... And there is no evidence that wrongful actions caused the spill.. You cant just keep making up what you wish happened.. Just like many liberals here made reasons to blame Bush for the permits and construction, before it was discovered that the permits and planning took place during the Clinton administration.. Now all of a sudden, liberals stopped blaming government, and the blame, according to many here (obvious by the poll) rests soley upon BP. The quietness about governmental blame is deafening nowadays..
Quote:
I don't think they did this on purpose, killed 11 people and allow oil to gush into the gulf at the rate it is. but they do have a habit of bypassing safety for the sake of saving money.
And governments responsibility and punishment for allowing shortcuts is what?
Quote:
many times people, companies don't do the right thing, which is why some laws are in acted or pressure is brought to bear so they do, do the right thing.
In this case, the law was enacted to force these companies to move out further, which they believed to be the right thing at the time. We all know no one wants to look out at the ocean and see oil rigs.. Sometimes "the right thing" doesnt become known until a much later period of time.. Do you think those who revoked the permit to drill 500 feet out, forcing them to drill 5,000 feet out, think they now made the right decision 10+ years ago?

Old 06-20-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post

Causing $100B in loss of market cap... I'm sure the senior citizens who lost half of their net worth will be conforted by your posting..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies