Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 06:56 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,213,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Thank you for being civil about the subject. The pollster may have been referring to the various other rallies were Obama was speaking but his point is still valid. Just imagine blacks carrying on like that when Bush was in charge and I think that you would understand what he was saying
Well the thing is, blacks were and are free to do so if they so wished. The black community is well within its right to protest and carry on as it wishes. I do have to protest that the author is making this more of a black and white issue (no pun intended) than it really is.

What many on the left don't understand, is that the Tea Party folks are not even a homogeneous group as the media would have you believe. I would invite folks to go to the Campaign for Liberty website for instance and note that this sect of the Tea Party folks are concerned not just with expanding size of government and taxes, but also things like interventionism in foreign affairs, wars abroad, and civil liberties.

There are other sects and mindsets at work from the wild to the mild and from the rational to the completely insane, as every movement has its loonies and I don't think anyone can deny this.

Honestly, if John McCain would have won and acted like Obama has, I suspect there would be a good deal of protest from the left, because to be honest, Obama and Bush are more alike than I think a lot of would care to admit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 07:05 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,346,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well the thing is, blacks were free to do so if they so wished. The black community is well within its right to protest and carry on as it wishes. I do have to protest that the author is making this more of a black and white issue (no pun intended) than it really is.

What many on the left don't understand, is that while most certainly the Tea Party folks are not even a homogeneous group as the media would have you believe. I would invite folks to go to the Campaign for Liberty website for instance and note that this sect of the Tea Party folks are concerned not just with expanding size of government and taxes, but also things like interventionism in foreign affairs, wars abroad, and civil liberties.

There are other sects and mindsets at work from the wild to the mild and from the rational to the completely insane, as every movement has its loonies and I don't think anyone can deny this.

Honestly, if John McCain would have won and acted like Obama has, I suspect there would be a good deal of protest from the left, because to be honest, Obama and Bush are more alike than I think a lot of would care to admit.
That may be true but the furor that Faux news and grand manipulators like rush, beck and such created the atmosphere for it to seem like it is more a racial thing than anything else. I overstand that there are legit folks in the tea party movement but what the public actually see is the fringe racist and extremely stupid people who are involved in the movement.

Blacks could never do what some in the tea party have done b/c of innate racism and fear of an armed blackman. A group of whites with guns threatening to overthrow the government when there is a sitting black president is more acceptable than lets say a bunch of blackmen protesting the crap that Bush did with guns.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:05 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,956,149 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware the Tea Party folks were openly carrying AK-47's, handguns and ammo in Washington DC. When did they repeal the DC carry laws?

I understand the point the article is trying to make and one could point to anti-war protests, civil rights protests in the 60's, labor protests in the 30's, etc... However, if the piece wasn't centered to race specifically, it might have more teeth, but trying to make this a purely racial issue is using the same fear based arguments that the right made about going into Iraq.

You are free to disagree but I think this piece just doesn't say it all about the Tea Party folks.
Well said.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:20 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,544,371 times
Exactly! some people cant understand that we can see right through the tea party. They get so mad because they wish Obama was gone because they hate him. Make a point or move on

Old 06-19-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
That may be true but the furor that Faux news and grand manipulators like rush, beck and such created the atmosphere for it to seem like it is more a racial thing than anything else. I overstand that there are legit folks in the tea party movement but what the public actually see is the fringe racist and extremely stupid people who are involved in the movement.

Blacks could never do what some in the tea party have done b/c of innate racism and fear of an armed blackman. A group of whites with guns threatening to overthrow the government when there is a sitting black president is more acceptable than lets say a bunch of blackmen protesting the crap that Bush did with guns.
Yet there is a half black man with the middle name of Hussein in the White House leading the most powerful nation on the planet. So as negatively as some in the press will depict the Tea Party movement, Obama is in the big chair and this tells me that at least a majority of this country didn't care what color he was or what his middle name was, so those more negative elements of the Tea Party seem over stated.

Heck, one could make the argument that the left could be pleased to see the division among the GOP as it struggles to redefine itself.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:35 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,900,303 times
[quote=enemy country;14688836]"...Imagine that hundreds of black protesters were to descend upon Washington DC and Northern Virginia, just a few miles from the Capitol and White House, armed with AK-47s, assorted handguns, and ammunition. And imagine that some of these protesters--the black protesters--spoke of the need for political revolution, and possibly even armed conflict in the event that laws they didn’t like were enforced by the government. Would these protesters--these black protesters with guns--be seen as brave defenders of the Second Amendment, or would they be viewed by most whites as a danger to the republic? What if they were Arab-Americans? Because, after all, that's what happened recently when white gun enthusiasts descended upon the nation's capital, arms in hand, and verbally announced their readiness to make war on the country's political leaders if the need arose.

MOD CUT

Imagine a black muslim killing 17 marines on an American base and injuring 30 others ; then imagine black thugs at voting booths biting off fingers and making threats ; imagine muslims in NYC street at noon day tearing up and burning USA flag while threatening another attack ; imagine a president and congress having Ramadon at the Whitehouse, then inviting the biggest black racist Farracon to stay over ; imagine a president and congress taking advice from a mexican who sends his people here and now set up a place on Catalina island to give criminals cards to get false IDs .

Imagine a president taking an oath to protect our nation suing Americans in Arizona to protect invading dangerous criminals .

Imagine millions of invading beggers demanding we keep taking total care of their large families .

Imagine our troops being told to take bullets if there is a civilain running ammo and weapons back and forth to be used against them.

Imagine a liar that would end the war in SIX MONTHS !

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-20-2010 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 06-19-2010, 07:54 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,956,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Exactly! some people cant understand that we can see right through the tea party. They get so mad because they wish Obama was gone because they hate him. Make a point or move on
Because YOU say so.
Oh......It MUST be true then.
LMFAO!

Sounds like it is YOU.....who HATES EVERYONE, that just happen not to like him, or his spending, or his agenda.
Don't like it?
So what.

There....I made my point and will now....move on....out of EnemyCountry!
Happy?

Old 06-19-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Yet there is a half black man with the middle name of Hussein in the White House leading the most powerful nation on the planet. So as negatively as some in the press will depict the Tea Party movement, Obama is in the big chair and this tells me that at least a majority of this country didn't care what color he was or what his middle name was, so those more negative elements of the Tea Party seem over stated.

Heck, one could make the argument that the left could be pleased to see the division among the GOP as it struggles to redefine itself.
One still has to be dilligent b/c Hitler initially had a small following also

The real republicans I can respect but they have been taken over by the radical racist and religionist and they have to go back to their true roots and leave those extreme nutcases alone

Old 06-19-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Imagine a black muslim killing 17 marines on an American base and injuring 30 others ; then imagine black thugs at voting booths biting off fingers and making threats ; imagine muslims in NYC street at noon day tearing up and burning USA flag while threatening another attack ; imagine a president and congress having Ramadon at the Whitehouse, then inviting the biggest black racist Farracon to stay over ; imagine a president and congress taking advice from a mexican who sends his people here and now set up a place on Catalina island to give criminals cards to get false IDs .

Imagine a president taking an oath to protect our nation suing Americans in Arizona to protect invading dangerous criminals .

Imagine millions of invading beggers demanding we keep taking total care of their large families .

Imagine our troops being told to take bullets if there is a civilain running ammo and weapons back and forth to be used against them.

Imagine a liar that would end the war in SIX MONTHS !
Ok, imagine a president who started an illegal war and sent them ill equiped to fight it, loses over 3000 American lives and over 100,000 others for profits, Imagine a president who gets his orders from christian extremist, takes advice from a madman who shoots people in the face w/o legal repercussions, a president who pisses all over the constitution, how about one who could care less about americans who were displaced all over the country b/c their homes were destroyed and praises incompentency, destroys America's reputation throughout the world due to his stupidity of foreign policy, Imagine a president that stated in front of the world "Mission Accomplished" while embolden the enemy, How about a lair who said that catching the "mastermind" of 911 Bin Laden?
Hey this is fun, do you want to try again?

Old 06-19-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
One still has to be dilligent b/c Hitler initially had a small following also

The real republicans I can respect but they have been taken over by the radical racist and religionist and they have to go back to their true roots and leave those extreme nutcases alone
Well when we consider how partisan and polarized this country is, it is very unlikely that any single authority like Hitler will ascend to power, as beyond just the left vs right arguments, there are many other players involved with our policy decisions and direction that work behind the scenes, such as our military, lobbying groups, and the citizens themselves.

I don't identify with Republicans anymore, or any party for that matter, but we can't fall into the trap of labeling wholesale as it is poisonous. Todays Republicans are real Republicans but what it means to be Republican has as many different facets as a snowflake. Just the same as it would be unfair to label Democrats as real or not. Within political parties and views there is a lot of differing opinion and the Tea Party folks are an example of this, after all they are as much railing against Obama as they are railing against their own party as they feel their voices aren't being heard.

Open minds are a terrible thing to waste, don't ya think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies