Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 06:15 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,534,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"...Imagine that hundreds of black protesters were to descend upon Washington DC and Northern Virginia, just a few miles from the Capitol and White House, armed with AK-47s, assorted handguns, and ammunition. And imagine that some of these protesters--the black protesters--spoke of the need for political revolution, and possibly even armed conflict in the event that laws they didn’t like were enforced by the government. Would these protesters--these black protesters with guns--be seen as brave defenders of the Second Amendment, or would they be viewed by most whites as a danger to the republic? What if they were Arab-Americans? Because, after all, that's what happened recently when white gun enthusiasts descended upon the nation's capital, arms in hand, and verbally announced their readiness to make war on the country's political leaders if the need arose.
MOD CUT

Excerpt from "Imagine: Protest, Insurgency and the Workings of White Privilege" by Tim Wise http://www.redroom.com/blog/tim-wise...hite-privilege

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-20-2010 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 06:16 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Lost me at "imagine"
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 06-19-2010, 06:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,417,672 times
That was amusing. I have passed it on to interested parties to give them a hearty laugh.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:22 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Excerpts from "Imagine: Protest, Insurgency and the Workings of White Privilege" by Tim Wise less
[ color=red]MOD CUT.off topic[/color]This is a great paragraph (cant imagine Rush Limbaugh exposed himself so far as to really say that, though):

"Protest is only seen as fundamentally American when those who have long had the luxury of seeing themselves as prototypically American engage in it. When the dangerous and dark “other” does so, however, it isn’t viewed as normal or natural, let alone patriotic. Which is why Rush Limbaugh could say, this past week, that the Tea Parties are the first time since the Civil War that ordinary, common Americans stood up for their rights: a statement that erases the normalcy and “American-ness” of blacks in the civil rights struggle, not to mention women in the fight for suffrage and equality, working people in the fight for better working conditions, and LGBT folks as they struggle to be treated as full and equal human beings."

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-20-2010 at 06:11 PM..

Old 06-19-2010, 06:28 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
That was interesting, and unfortunately true. I noticed that whenever someone of color speaks of racial relations in this country they are either laugh at or dismissed by whites in general. I think tha you have a valid point, could you imagine that type of behaviour happening while Bush was giving a speech? Of course you can't b/c it would not have happened. Hell Buddy Bush SCREENED the people before they were even let in the building neverless carry a gun in there! I'm starting to realize that blacks in america that have any authority or are intelligent enough to speak of such differences are ridiculed by white america....why is that?

Old 06-19-2010, 06:29 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Why is race even brought to the table?

This has to do with fundamentally changing America, like he said he was going to do.
The ignorant didn't know exactly what that meant. They thought it meant no more Bush.
We got Bush on steroids and we are seeing the ignorant, not be so ignorant any longer, as they get educated.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:31 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,828,106 times
You don't even have to finish the first sentence to see this is another worthless race baiting thread, not worthy of serious discussion...............

Old 06-19-2010, 06:41 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
"...Imagine that hundreds of black protesters were to descend upon Washington DC and Northern Virginia, just a few miles from the Capitol and White House, armed with AK-47s, assorted handguns, and ammunition.
I wasn't aware the Tea Party folks were openly carrying AK-47's, handguns and ammo in Washington DC. When did they repeal the DC carry laws?

I understand the point the article is trying to make and one could point to anti-war protests, civil rights protests in the 60's, labor protests in the 30's, etc... However, if the piece wasn't centered to race specifically, it might have more teeth, but trying to make this a purely racial issue is using the same fear based arguments that the right made about going into Iraq.

You are free to disagree but I think this piece just doesn't say it all about the Tea Party folks.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Why is race even brought to the table?

This has to do with fundamentally changing America, like he said he was going to do.
The ignorant didn't know exactly what that meant. They thought it meant no more Bush.
We got Bush on steroids and we are seeing the ignorant, not be so ignorant any longer, as they get educated.
Intersting point, but not the issue at hand. The question was why is one president's policy being treated so radically different than the other? Why can one group of people can do whatever that they want w/o repercussion and the other cannot? Why can't one group behave in a way that is non threatening and if the other did the the same thing it would be considered a threat to the American way of life? People rather you like it or not there is a double standard in regards to race in America, and if you are in (or look like you are)a position power you would not notice the things that affect anyone else that does not look like you.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I wasn't aware the Tea Party folks were openly carrying AK-47's, handguns and ammo in Washington DC. When did they repeal the DC carry laws?

I understand the point the article is trying to make and one could point to anti-war protests, civil rights protests in the 60's, labor protests in the 30's, etc... However, if the piece wasn't centered to race specifically, it might have more teeth, but trying to make this a purely racial issue is using the same fear based arguments that the right made about going into Iraq.

You are free to disagree but I think this piece just doesn't say it all about the Tea Party folks.
Thank you for being civil about the subject. The pollster may have been referring to the various other rallies were Obama was speaking but his point is still valid. Just imagine blacks carrying on like that when Bush was in charge and I think that you would understand what he was saying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies