Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:42 PM

57 posts, read 81,111 times

Advertisements

Give him 14 and 14 and take 1/2 month's pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 08:49 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times
McChrystal Feels Betrayed By White House

He should.....because he has been.

....Just give barry a liiitttllle-teeeeenyyy-weeeeennnyyy bit more rope.......and he'll hang himself!...I hope McChrystal comes out of this shining like a star!!!...and he will...cause the "stuff's" gettin' ready to hit the fan!!!!...YES!!!......I don't trust this government...and neiher does McChrystal!!!..a good man!!...and an awesome soldier!!!

Old 06-23-2010, 01:19 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Accomplished what? Giving aid to our enemies? There are good reasons why generals have a code of honor to follow that says they keep their criticisms of their Commander in Chief out of the public realm. McChrystal allowed the Rollingstones reporter unlimited access to him and his staff and in dong so he gave our enemies a nail to use against use. He's an egoist who couldn't wait until after his retirement and the war to end before writing his tell-all book.
He's not getting what he needs to do the job, either get out or give hime what he needs. Keeping his mouth shut, while taking on casualties until he can start the scheduled withdraw is BS. Aiding the enemy comes when the commander in chief has politics he needs to consider before he approves the general's requests....and let's not forget letting the enemy know exactly what are plans are withdraw....the general tried to stop that by saying that the dates just preliminary....a target date...but, let's face it obviously has no say in it.....he had to go back to Washington to get spanked for mishaving so, what ever Obama says, the enemy can consider craved in stone.....too bad that hasn't been the case for any of us.

The general's code of honor is to his men that get put in harm's way. If his boss that has little experience at running our country, let alone ANYTHING at all that has to do with commanding a miltary, can't relate to that in private, then so much for any code of honor you say he's suppose to have for him. Our troops....his troops come first. I don't know a lot about McChrystal, I never met the man, don't know anything about his personality or his plans after retirement....you must be friend of his to know so much about him. Did you read the article by chance....I didn't, I'll have to make it a point to do it.....maybe it will give a fraction of the insight about him that you have.

Personally, I think it's Obama who has the ego problem. It doesn't surprise me at all if a five star general star were to have quite an ego....as a matter of fact, I'd be surprised if he didn't. He got to the top of the ladder by starting at the bottom. To have to answer to a man that was elected to run the country and be his boss after being in office for about two years as a senator, isn't easy. The last commander in chief had a lot of problems but, at least when it came to military decisions he didn't let his ego get in the way of what his generals told him to do and what they needed to do it. When the press would ask him a military question, he wasted no time explaining that it was up to his military advisors and that it was not his place to make those kind of decisions. It's almost the exact opposite with Obama, he treated the general's recommendation as if it was only one many that he needed to consider and that he'd get back to him some time in the future when he had decided what he wanted him to do. We're talking about the recommendations of a five star general that earned his rank, being overridden by a junior statesman that won an election a year and a half ago and became president....recommendations regarding war, a war he's been put in charge of.

Last edited by Danno3314; 06-23-2010 at 02:07 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 04:23 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
It's almost the exact opposite with Obama, he treated the general's recommendation as if it was only one many that he needed to consider and that he'd get back to him some time in the future when he had decided what he wanted him to do. We're talking about the recommendations of a five star general that earned his rank, being overridden by a junior statesman that won an election a year and a half ago and became president....recommendations regarding war, a war he's been put in charge of.
Yes thats the way it works, the US is a civilian government not a military dictatorship. Perhaps if he wanted it to work some other way the Pakistani or Turkish military would be a better fit.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:57 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
McChrystal Feels Betrayed By White House

He should.....because he has been.

....Just give barry a liiitttllle-teeeeenyyy-weeeeennnyyy bit more rope.......and he'll hang himself!...I hope McChrystal comes out of this shining like a star!!!...and he will...cause the "stuff's" gettin' ready to hit the fan!!!!...YES!!!......I don't trust this government...and neiher does McChrystal!!!..a good man!!...and an awesome soldier!!!

No doubt he is a good soldier, but now I am reading the papers say that the troops resent his strategy of combat restrictions. He made is virtually impossible to get air strikes and artillery hits authorized. Of course there is a reason for it: to limit civilian casualties, which are counter productive in this kind of war. Just saying that the troops hate such approach, because they feel their hands are tied behind their backs. If I am not mistaken this was a common complaint in Vietnam too. The WH listened to McCrystal, and he got his stratergy approved (this stratergy was recommended by Petraeus and McCrystal, so to say the WH didn't listen to them is incorrect), and he got his troops, and he was allowed to run the war as he saw fit, so this thing doesn't make any sense at all. What was he thinking.

Since last year, the counterinsurgency doctrine championed by those now leading the campaign has assumed an almost unchallenged supremacy in the ranks of the American military’s career officers. The doctrine, which has been supported by both the Bush and Obama administrations, rests on core assumptions, including that using lethal force against an insurgency intermingled with a civilian population is often counterproductive.

Since General McChrystal assumed command, he has been a central face and salesman of this idea, and he has applied it to warfare in a tangible way: by further tightening rules guiding the use of Western firepower — airstrikes and guided rocket attacks, artillery barrages and even mortar fire — to support troops on the ground.

NYT: General faces unease from 'handcuffed' troops - The New York Times- msnbc.com

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-23-2010 at 06:24 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 04:58 AM

18,391 posts, read 19,023,642 times
when you are in the military you do not talk sh&t about the commander in chief in public, period. you can think it, you can say it behind close doors to your right hand man but it should never leave the room. how stupid these guys were to say this stuff not only in public but to a reporter for the stone in reading the article this general and his entourage come off sounding like a bunch of cowboys, the general should be fired for not only his words but for not being able to keep his staff in check. he has been "in trouble" before. his involvement w/the pat tillman's cover up over how he really died showed another serious gap in his judgment. send him down the road

Old 06-23-2010, 05:26 AM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Leave it to Sanrene to side with a former Taliban member and corrupt puppet leader working against the United States like Karzai just to slam Obama.

Maybe we can hope for Bin Laden to come out and make a speech on how lousy of a job Obama is doing so we can see a thread on the wisdom and greatness of Osama Bin Laden.
I say there would be many threads started by people who should not be allowed to reside in this great nation.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:38 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
I say there would be many threads started by people who should not be allowed to reside in this great nation.

I would argue that part of what makes us a great nation is because of the great diversity in view and the freedom to express those views, even those views that I may completely, totally, and utterly disagree with. I may not like it, but I will defend the right to say it.

Doesn't Liberty have enough daggers in her back?

Old 06-23-2010, 06:39 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Lightbulb hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Because it will just confirm and make Obama look like the incompetent fool he is...
It's interesting - you mention a litany of wishes that imply a distaste for the military and it's doctrine of respect towards the rule of discipline and command structure.

Your wish to see these things fall into disarray is interesting and telling...

Old 06-23-2010, 07:02 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Not true ! I was there and it was on film when the cowards spit , they mostly picked on vets in wheel chairs , blind or otherwise disabled . The same nasty socilaist who are now professors and polititions .

be against the war if you like, but don't tke it our on those who had no choice after draft .
In my opinion, this is simply a lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies