Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the California governor's order to pay state workers minimum wage?
Yes 27 44.26%
No 28 45.90%
Not sure 6 9.84%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:40 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Thursday officially ordered most state workers’ paychecks slashed to the federal minimum wage -- $7.25 per hour -- now that California has entered a new budget year without a spending plan.

State Controller John Chiang, who issues the paychecks, has said he would not obey the order.
Schwarzenegger again orders cut in state workers' pay | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

I understand the need to cut spending, but I think this is unfair to state employees. It's not their fault that the state government is in fiscal disarray. Wouldn't it make more sense to slash the paychecks of the State Senate and Assembly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 10:43 PM

814 posts, read 670,662 times
They should have just cut hours. Playing with someones wages is a bit too personal.

I really hate to say it but the federal government needs to start following suit and perhaps privatize a few sectors reassuring current employees a job.

We have already seen talks of privatizing police and fire depts here in CA.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
I read the article..seems more like an empty threat. Those workers will get the back money as soon as a budget is passed. There's no real cuts or savings here.

It's a gimmick to get the state to pass a budget..nothing more.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:46 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,633 times
They needed to start somewhere and he thinks thats the place to start. He started with them for a reason, we will see if he gets the reaction he's looking for.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:55 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Schwarzenegger again orders cut in state workers' pay | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

I understand the need to cut spending, but I think this is unfair to state employees. It's not their fault that the state government is in fiscal disarray. Wouldn't it make more sense to slash the paychecks of the State Senate and Assembly?
I agree with you. State Employees, while part of the problem, they're not the reason for the problem. The reason is a micro-level view of what's happening nationally: Big Government, Big Spending, Jobs To Illegals, and Entitlment Mentality sucking tax coffers dry. State Employees are apart of the Big Government apparatus, but no one can blame them for wanting a stable, good paying job.

Government policy is to blame.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:47 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,341 times
I voted not sure because I am not sure what other benefits the workers get. I lean more towards not liking it because if someone is hired for a certain wage a company any company should not be able to just change it whenever they want and that includes the state government. I think a cut in hours would have been better. Go to a four day work week.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:54 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
They should have just cut hours. Playing with someones wages is a bit too personal.

I really hate to say it but the federal government needs to start following suit and perhaps privatize a few sectors reassuring current employees a job.

We have already seen talks of privatizing police and fire depts here in CA.
The feds are getting rid of the contractors who end up costing up to 3 times what a federal employee costs. Check out A-76.

Do you really think Halliburton is less expensive than the federal workforce?
You funny.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:50 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
NO!!! But this is what you get when you vote a Hollywood weirdo into office....Thank goodness he can never throw his hat into the presidential ring

Does Arnie take a salary??? If so is he paying himself minimum wage for July???

Old 07-02-2010, 07:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
In times like these where a private sector failure, the mortgage bubble, has strangled the cash flow in an economy paying the government workers their full salary benefits the entire economy by maintaining some cash flow. Even if the workers are paid with borrowed money it is better than no cash flow at all. If the cash stops flowing, and the butcher, baker, candlestick maker, as well as the utilities, gas stations and communication companies are not paid something they will close as well.

That is a disaster waiting to happen so I suggest paying the government employees as well as the income less unemployed. We have to keep some money flowing or this recession will crash into a depression.

I believe Arnold the Mighty is just grandstanding. Time for the legislature to call his bluff.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:06 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,157,105 times
I'm sure most of California State workers are covered by collective bargaining agreements. The Governator can't unilaterally change their salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies