Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 08:53 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,474 times

Advertisements

Was watching a news segment about this fisherman who rejected a settlement offer from BP. His claim was for over 100k and BP only offered him 34k.

Then this week on the news saw where so many folks down there who have filed claims don't have paperwork trails. They deal mostly in cash...and they have NO WAY to prove their incomes.

Then I couldn't help but think- do they not file tax returns? Surely they do. So wouldn't a few years of copies of their tax returns be sufficient...along with some affidavits, and any receipts they do have on hand?

Or did they fudge on their tax returns to not report their full income? And if this is the case- not saying it is- but if it is.... isn't this going to be a problem with the FEDS? Them claiming they earned X but they only paid taxes on Y?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 09:09 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Was watching a news segment about this fisherman who rejected a settlement offer from BP. His claim was for over 100k and BP only offered him 34k.

Then this week on the news saw where so many folks down there who have filed claims don't have paperwork trails. They deal mostly in cash...and they have NO WAY to prove their incomes.

Then I couldn't help but think- do they not file tax returns? Surely they do. So wouldn't a few years of copies of their tax returns be sufficient...along with some affidavits, and any receipts they do have on hand?

Or did they fudge on their tax returns to not report their full income? And if this is the case- not saying it is- but if it is.... isn't this going to be a problem with the FEDS? Them claiming they earned X but they only paid taxes on Y?
Could be.....we were talking to night. Just think of a waitress/waiter.

If they did not report every dime, they will either has to admit it or, take what they did report.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:09 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Why not? Obama does with his appointees.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:32 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,943,926 times
Quote:

Every scumbag in the world is going to come out looking for some money. Saw the same thing during Katrina with the insurance companies. If they can't sufficiently document their losses, I'd tell them to go to hell.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:46 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,750 times
If you were self-employed and some huge company destroyed your livelihood and offered restitution at 64 percent of your assets' valuation, wouldn't you be a bit disillusioned as well?
For income/tax reporting advice, I would defer to the companies that pay illegal immigrant workers on a cash basis. I'm sure there is a benchmark paper trail of W2s, 1099s, etc....

Old 07-04-2010, 09:58 PM

202 posts, read 187,309 times
BP will file 1099's to the IRS on every check they write settling claims to individuals..and the IRS has already stated claims settled will be taxed..

Old 07-04-2010, 10:01 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Quote:

The Feds should mind their own FKN business.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:10 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse1 View Post
BP will file 1099's to the IRS on every check they write settling claims to individuals..and the IRS has already stated claims settled will be taxed..

You're missing my point - BP is paying a fraction of the total book value of the losses incurred by the Gulf businesses due to the oil spill. Similar to how the U.S. Government uses Eminent Domain to raze someone's home at a fraction of its cost or market value.

The libs that wanted a big, interloping government got one and we are all paying the price. The heart and soul of the U.S. Economy - the Small Businessperson - is being squeezed out by anti-capitalist maniacs in Washington.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:16 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,474 times
If a drunk driver hit a telephone pole causing power outages... and there is a loss to businesses and workers-

not using tornado or other event as there must be someone to CAUSE the incident.....

Is the drunk (showing neglegance or how they SHOULD HAVE KNOWN) driver sued?
Do businesses sue the driver to recoupe all the lost income? Having to throw away all the food in the coolers?
Do the employees who had to leave work or who can't come to work ....do they get to sue the drunk driver as well?

But then do they get to sue for ALL lost wages...even though they don't work those hours?

Don't want to come out looking unAmerican....but I just don't understand it. Why are businesses held to a different standard? Better yet- why can't business owners and employees recoup their losses from the driver?

Old 07-05-2010, 05:38 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
If you were self-employed and some huge company destroyed your livelihood and offered restitution at 64 percent of your assets' valuation, wouldn't you be a bit disillusioned as well?
For income/tax reporting advice, I would defer to the companies that pay illegal immigrant workers on a cash basis. I'm sure there is a benchmark paper trail of W2s, 1099s, etc....
I don't think I get your point. Assets are fixed things. Income is something else. If you are taking in 100K and reporting 25K should BP pay you the 100K?

I would think you would have to figure some way to demonstrate the value of your "asset". Probably impossible without an accurate income statement.

I can't really see where a tax evader should be able to use the evaded income to establish a loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies