Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:19 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,732 times

Advertisements

Just so nobody will miss it:

In the late 1940's a corporate executive earned four or five times what an hourly worker earned. By 1980 that multiplier had grown to 45 times. By 1990 80 times and now...are you ready for this? 551 times what an hourly worker in a company earns. Just how much of the total do you think an ivy league graduate is actually worth? It's unadulterated greed which has grown in this country during my lifetime. The way a CEO pads the board of directors is like giving a fox the key to the hen house.

Now that we have that out of the way what about taxes on those people? In the 1950's anyone who earned more than $300,000 per year paid 93% of that excess to the government. Back then everybody paid their way. Reagan was the first president who believed it to be kosher to borrow money from foreign banks and funnel it to the wealthiest 1% in the form of lower taxes. Modern rich folks SUCK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 08:27 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Yes, you can thank Reagan alright, but what is really sickening is how fortunes are transferred within the family and nobody pays any taxes on it.

Not only is wealth staying at the highest levels of corporations but that wealth has innumerable loopholes in order to avoid taxes while the working poor pay taxes on 100% of their earnings.

God Bless America.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:29 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post

In the late 1940's a corporate executive earned four or five times what an hourly worker earned. By 1980 that multiplier had grown to 45 times. By 1990 80 times and now...are you ready for this? 551 times what an hourly worker in a company earns. Just how much of the total do you think an ivy league graduate is actually worth? It's unadulterated greed which has grown in this country during my lifetime. The way a CEO pads the board of directors is like giving a fox the key to the hen house.

Now that we have that out of the way what about taxes on those people? In the 1950's anyone who earned more than $300,000 per year paid 93% of that excess to the government. Back then everybody paid their way. Reagan was the first president who believed it to be kosher to borrow money from foreign banks and funnel it to the wealthiest 1% in the form of lower taxes. Modern rich folks SUCK!
But there's a broader issue that I raise in my book, “Freefall” about how all what's been going on is shaping our society. And that’s illustrated by the outsized bonuses. It was called incentive pay but we discovered during the crisis that that was just a name, it was really a charade because they got these huge bonuses even when they had record losses. Now what kind of society get bonuses for record losses?

http://www.thomhartmann.com/blog/201...litz-19-jan-10

Old 07-05-2010, 08:34 AM

I've examined this with both my psychotherapist hat on and my amateur economist hat on, and only one rational answer presents itself: CEOs in America make as much money as they do because there really is a shortage of people with their skill set. And it's such a serious shortage that some companies have to pay as much as $1 million a day to have somebody successfully do the job.

But what part of being a CEO could be so difficult -- so impossible for mere mortals -- that it would mean that there are only a few hundred individuals in the United States capable of performing it?

In my humble opinion, it's the sociopath part

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thom-hartmann/profiling-ceos-and-their_b_245373.ht (broken link)

Old 07-05-2010, 08:36 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,306,064 times
Quote:

Keep spreading the truth. Hopefully everyone else will see reality for what it is. The rich get richer, the workers and common people get stiffed over.

This is far beyond executives getting what they deserve, it's pure greed and exploitation.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
there really is a shortage of people with their skill set. And it's such a serious shortage that some companies have to pay as much as $1 million a day to have somebody successfully do the job
Skills... Seems to me that for the last ten years every time one of them does a sorry job and their company fails they still leave their position with some kind of "golden parachute" which affords them enough money to maintain their mansion(s) and yacht(s) in fine shape.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Skills... Seems to me that for the last ten years every time one of them does a sorry job and their company fails they still leave their position with some kind of "golden parachute" which affords them enough money to maintain their mansion(s) and yacht(s) in fine shape.
Hartmann was being sarcastic with that line. If you read the rest, the skill he is referring to is the....

"In my humble opinion, it's the sociopath part".

Old 07-05-2010, 08:48 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Quote:
But there's a broader issue that I raise in my book, “Freefall” about how all what's been going on is shaping our society. And that’s illustrated by the outsized bonuses. It was called incentive pay but we discovered during the crisis that that was just a name, it was really a charade because they got these huge bonuses even when they had record losses. Now what kind of society get bonuses for record losses?

Transcript: Thom Hartmann discusses the American economy with Professor Joseph Stiglitz. 19 Jan '10. | Thom Hartmann
Maybe change your book title to "Cops and Robbers" and show Reagan, Clinton, Bush, Obama, Lloyd Blankfein, Hank Paulson, et al on the cover with the Federal Reserve Board as a backdrop.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:04 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Quote:

Transcript: Thom Hartmann discusses the American economy with Professor Joseph Stiglitz. 19 Jan '10. | Thom Hartmann
Can't rep ya, great post.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Maybe change your book title to "Cops and Robbers" and show Reagan, Clinton, Bush, Obama, Lloyd Blankfein, Hank Paulson, et al on the cover with the Federal Reserve Board as a backdrop.
Yeah...no problem to spend $800 billion on the banks but squabble over a few billion for education or the infrastructure. For comparison...all the so called pork projects, of which some are indeed waste but most are actually to accomodate average Americans, total out at a massive $13 billion. All of the self serving bastards need a new perspective on what America used to be and who it used to serve. The "Government By The People and For The People" has ameliorated into a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies