Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:12 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,827,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Where are you seeing the bad Black women? The media? In poor neigborhoods? The media generally doesn't give you a full view of Black-America.
Mostly based on my experiences in the DC area. I lived in a middle-class neighborhood on the Virginia side and I saw a lot of what a strong black woman is NOT. Yet this was accepted criteria for strong black woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 12:24 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,395,882 times
Quote:
A woman who has three or more kids (usually by at least two fathers) and gets no help from the fathers.
I think one of the biggest problems with Black America is unemployment and the effects it has.

This higher rate of Black unemployment affects so many other things within Black America. With Black males having a higher unemployment rate you end up with fewer men being able to settle down to raise and support families. You get more criminality because without jobs these males end up spending way too much time hangin in the streets and all that comes with that. A job would reduce the amount of time they hang in the streets. Making money through drug selling,robberies and other street activities becomes more appealing when you're unemployed.

So with so many Black males unemployed you end up with less family formation,fewer people having kids within marriages or long term relationships and more poor single stressed out mothers. Now I don't think more welfare is the solution to this. I think a bigger increase in Black business ownership and better personal financial management should be the main route for changing this economic situation. Blacks have to create more job opportunities for themselves.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:34 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,403,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Mostly based on my experiences in the DC area. I lived in a middle-class neighborhood on the Virginia side and I saw a lot of what a strong black woman is NOT. Yet this was accepted criteria for strong black woman.
Well I guess no one can be upset by the fact that you just happen to encounter really crappy black females. In fact I kinda feel sorry for you. So not even in your own family do you see women who fall under your parameters for strong black women? Yeah that's gotta be rough?

Old 07-06-2010, 12:49 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,478,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I would suggest you change whom you associate with, as just about every black woman I know would fall under your definition of "strong black woman"...IMO the easiest way to spot one would be to look at the one's not saying "HEY I'M A STRONG BLACK WOMEN." Usually when something is obvious there's no need to go around announcing it.

In the meanwhile, I'm going to go pop some popcorn and wait for the mass amount of stereotypical, negative comments that are sure to come...

Oh and I'm just dying for you to provide an example of a black person anywhere in the world saying that this is what defines a strong black woman...- I'd love to see that one

Hmmm the only time I've ever actually seen that situation complimented is when the "baby daddy" (I guess we're all in ghetto mode today) isn't any good. So if the girl realizes that the boy/man isn't adding anything to her life and then makes steps to improve her life and take care of her children; i.e getting an education,having a good job, being a good mother WITHOUT him or public assistance then people will acknowledge her efforts...however since we don't typically use the phrase "strong black woman" as often as Hollywood or white people chances are they'd say "that girl has a good head on her shoulders. She learned from her mistakes and kept it moving"

I don't really see what the problem is with that...I guess we should just keep kicking her in the head for getting pregnant in the first place, right?

When i make a comment about a Women in General just me, i don't bring color into the mix at all, too much racial issues going on anways. I just happen to notice that you can be a strong intelligent women with a head on your shoulders whether you are black, or white, or young or older does not matter. Being a white women, need to kick some of those White Womens butts also, for getting pregnant, without a DADDY around, a lot of them too. I have so many friends that are beautiful black Women, with great jobs, absoutely stunning to look at, actually so good looking a crime, lol they have good educations, come from great backgrounds, and don't ever bring up their color for any sort of excuses at all, i love that about them, they just see themselves as strong women, with ambitions. Two are so gorgeous that Hallie has nothing over them, they are that beautiful, but also beautiful inside, where it counts.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:26 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,827,498 times
Quote:
Well I guess no one can be upset by the fact that you just happen to encounter really crappy black females. In fact I kinda feel sorry for you. So not even in your own family do you see women who fall under your parameters for strong black women? Yeah that's gotta be rough?
I'm not really that close to most of my family. But there are strong black women in my family.

2,318 posts, read 1,900,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I think it bears repeating: Strong black women seem to also believe that raising kids without "my baby daddy" around is a compliment and deserving of recognition.

Personal responsibility is severly distorted in the black community. I personally think its a crying shame and detrimental to the future of African-Americans in the US.

No such thing as African American or American African .

Black women have my sympathy but not as much respect as they use to have . Too many of their kids end up on drugs , in prison or dead .

Don't marry a loser and don't have kids if unwed .

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
When i make a comment about a Women in General just me, i don't bring color into the mix at all, too much racial issues going on anways. I just happen to notice that you can be a strong intelligent women with a head on your shoulders whether you are black, or white, or young or older does not matter. Being a white women, need to kick some of those White Womens butts also, for getting pregnant, without a DADDY around, a lot of them too. I have so many friends that are beautiful black Women, with great jobs, absoutely stunning to look at, actually so good looking a crime, lol they have good educations, come from great backgrounds, and don't ever bring up their color for any sort of excuses at all, i love that about them, they just see themselves as strong women, with ambitions. Two are so gorgeous that Hallie has nothing over them, they are that beautiful, but also beautiful inside, where it counts.
That's probably because you realize that you black women are people and not some foreign species that must be studied and diagnosed.

But I guess everyone is different. In my experiences I've found that often economics, education, upbringing, etc play a bigger role in behavior than race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm not really that close to most of my family. But there are strong black women in my family.
Then to me that makes your thread even more depressing because whenever i hear a female complaining about the lack of good black men in the world the very first thing that comes to my mind is "Well there are several great black men in my family so I know that what you're experiencing isn't a fact and is probably more reflective on you then the people you're talking about"

At the end of the day I guess it's all in the perception of the person who's being judgmental in the first place

Old 07-06-2010, 01:32 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,900,699 times
Quote:
That's probably because you realize that you black women are people and not some foreign species that must be studied and diagnosed.

But I guess everyone is different. In my experiences I've found that often economics, education, upbringing, etc play a bigger role in behavior than race.

Then to me that makes your thread even more depressing because whenever i hear a female complaining about the lack of good black men in the world the very first thing that comes to my mind is "Well there are several great black men in my family so I know that what you're experiencing isn't a fact"

At the end of the day I guess it's all in the perception of the person who's being judgmental in the first place

It was the liberal race hustlers who pinned this on them, not conservative of either race .

Old 07-06-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
It was the liberal race hustlers who pinned this on them, not conservative of either race .
Did you see me say anything about liberals or conservatives? Why are people so quick to turn every discussion into a liberal vs conservative debate? Are those the sides for the next Civil War?

Old 07-06-2010, 01:36 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,087,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
No such thing as African American or American African .

Black women have my sympathy but not as much respect as they use to have . Too many of their kids end up on drugs , in prison or dead .

Don't marry a loser and don't have kids if unwed .
Same thing can be said for prejudiced white people, like yourself.. too many of their kids end up on drugs, in prison or dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies