Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you still use this word Welcome?
Yes 46 97.87%
No 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:46 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times

Advertisements

lol Heck I will tell people your welcome for them.If say walking by and I clearly move so they can say enter 1st or leave 1st or just go first and they say nothing. I'll say your welcome for them.

This country lacks manners and respect and down right courtesy of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 12:46 PM

915 posts, read 1,190,877 times
Being polite is so inefficient don't you think?

Old 07-06-2010, 12:53 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
I still cannot forget the manners i was taught, so it is YOUR WELCOME FOR ME, i get both your welcome and no problem, from others, i rather get that then no response at all, that is what bothers me, but i do believe that too many of todays, young have not been taught manners, it is so apparant.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:29 PM

26,583 posts, read 14,449,955 times
there is no universal absolute for specific manors.

burping is very insultive in some cultures yet....... very insultive if you don't in others.

go figure.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:31 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I said "You're Welcome!" just yesterday. And I was rather loud about it.

I was leaving a book store. (I should add here that it was about 105 degrees outside.) As I exited the door I saw a family of five coming towards me. They were about 25 feet away. Dad, mom (pushing a stroller) and two kids. So I stood there in the heat and held the door for them. I think I even had a friendly little smile on my face as I stood there, (did I mention it was hot?) waiting for them to come my way and holding the door open for all of them.

Dad went in first. Then the two kids. The mom pushing the stroller. And I held the door for all of them. Like the best doorman you'ld ever see in NYC. Not one of that merry little troop said "Thank you." Not one.

But I said "You're welcome!" in a cheery voice that, hopefully, was loud enough for them to hear.

The funny thing is I'll keep holding doors because that's the way I was raised. Even if the manners of the rest of the world are circling the drain.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaluce View Post
On a very blustery and chilly Valentine's Day this year, while the wind almost blew all my clothes off; I held open the door to a local restaurant for a woman, her son, and her father (presumably a rancher or cowboy, from his attire).

After dining, I asked the hostess for my check. She told me my meal had been paid for by the rancher folk.

WTH! I could have had a pitcher of Tequila and some dessert had I known earlier.
That's great that someone showed their appreciation in that way. It made my day until you said you could've had more. If it was a light hearted comment, I apologize. Otherwise, don't be greedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
No problem does bother me if I am at a place of service. If I ask for Tabasco sauce for example, and the response is , "no problem", I am insulted. I DON"T CARE if it is a problem, I want it.

I was in a Chic-Fila and the counter person said "my pleasure". I asked to speak to the manager. When the manager appeared I said how refreshing it was to hear "my pleasure" instead of "no problem".

These places are supposed to be serving the customer not, acting like it is a big deal to serve me.
Over sensitive to say the least. Get over yourself.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:43 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
I'll say both depending on the situation; I'll also say "you too" because usually when someone is saying "thank you" to me it's followed by some variation "have a nice day"

The only time I typically say "no problem" is when someone is asking me to go out of my way for them. For example; I was at lunch yesterday and one of my coworkers called my cell and asked me if I could pick up something for her. When I got back she thanked me and tried to give me some gas money but I said "No problem" To me that was better than "you're welcome" because I was trying to let her know that it wasn't an inconvenience to bring her back some food. Same as when a girlfriend asked me to baby-sit at the last minute; she was full of thank you so much's, I really appreciate it, I hope he wasn't too much trouble, I'm sorry it was such short notice and I said "it's no problem" to her.

I do teach my son to say you're welcome though Sometimes he'll say "please; thank you; you're welcome" all at once

Old 07-06-2010, 02:05 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The once mandatory phrase has been replaced by annoyingly casual responses, to which I say: No, thanks!

What ever happened to "You're welcome"? - Language Police - Salon.com
I notice this a lot from younger people:

"Thanks"

"Yep."

You're welcome is the appropriate response, not "yep."

Old 07-06-2010, 02:09 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
I see it the complete opposite: I should be the one saying "you're welcome" after the clerk says THANK YOU to me!

Afterall, I am paying their paycheck by patronizing their employer! Plus, it's just good customer service!

Old 07-08-2010, 12:40 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Exactly.

That's great that someone showed their appreciation in that way. It made my day until you said you could've had more. If it was a light hearted comment, I apologize. Otherwise, don't be greedy.

Over sensitive to say the least. Get over yourself.
I'm sorrry you don't like my opinion. The poster asked for opinion. I gave my opinion. If you don't like my opinion I suggest you mind your own business and keep your responses to the question asked and leave the insults to yourself.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:45 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I remember when I was a kid growing up in the 90s, my aunt (who raised my cousins quite differently than my brother and I were raised) made such a big deal over the fact that my brother and I used "please" and "thank you". I don't see it so much as being polite as that I had it SO drilled into my head as a kid that it is just the automatic response!

Thinking on it, I've started to say "No problem" as well. I don't use either more than the other, just whatever comes out of my mouth first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies