Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in public schools?
Yes 71 19.09%
No 295 79.30%
I don't know/No opinion 6 1.61%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:58 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's hard to debate a creationist because they often lack the critical thinking skills necessary to make sense.
You really need to stop being so rude. What does it contribute to the debate to make posts like this? Get off your high horse and show some respect.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:03 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,719 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
She wasn't asleep, but as is evident from the story, that her brain and mental abilities were anesthetized from restraint against science.
She deals weed. If she weren't anesthetized I would be surprised.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:06 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
You really need to stop being so rude. What does it contribute to the debate to make posts like this? Get off your high horse and show some respect.
I calls em as I sees em. It's rediculous to answer question like the one posed in that post and clutters up a debate with rediculous detours. I was as respectful as one can be given the question and post becasue the "respectful" answers have been given over and over with no impact.

BTW, my husband says they taught evolution when he went to Catholic school. Is that unusual?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:06 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
[quote=TomDot;14968208]
Quote:

She deals weed. If she weren't anesthetized I would be surprised.
Given the school she went thru, why should one be surprised?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Evolution and adaptation are not mutually exclusive. Evolution is inclusive of adaptation since change is possible without having to adapt for the conditions. In other words, adaptation (possible via natural selection) is an evolutionary process. But not all evolution is adaptation. BTW, adaptation is micro-evolution.

The answers you provided doesn't explain the "how". You can explain it by answering: How did Tibetans adapt? What made that possible?

PS. You claimed that the first people were Mesopotamians. What is the basis for this claim? Every scientific research, that I'm aware of, points at the beginning in Africa and immigration of humanity from there going north along the eastern coastline.
Why are you mincing words? All I said was that evolution and adaptation are not the same thing.

I don't know how the Tibetans adapted b/c I know nothing of the topic and don't feel like looking it up as I have other things to do, like work.

Are you saying there are no humans living in South Africa?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I calls em as I sees em. It's rediculous to answer question like the one posed in that post and clutters up a debate with rediculous detours. I was as respectful as one can be given the question and post becasue the "respectful" answers have been given over and over with no impact.

BTW, my husband says they taught evolution when he went to Catholic school. Is that unusual?
Your lack of knowledge regarding spelling doesn't exactly help your credibility.

Honestly, if you think it's respectful to tell someone they lack critical thinking skills purely for the fact that they're a creationist, then you need to take some classes in manners and etiquette. If someone you're debating with isn't getting it, why not just walk away instead of resorting to acting like you're better than everyone and everyone that disagrees with you is a moron? That goes for everyone on here who has said something rude or been insulting to someone else during this debate. Note that the vast majority of the rudeness is coming from the pro-evolution folk. What does that say about Christianity, that the "creationists" are the ones who are controlling themselves and remaining respectful? I feel sorry for all of you.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:08 PM

372 posts, read 220,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yes, something did indeed create the universe, but just because we don't know what that something is doesn't mean that we should give credit to something for which there is absolutely no evidence of existing.
the begining of time created the universe. Until scientist find a better answer, that should do nicely.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:13 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, experience has shown his assertion to be mostly true. Understanding of evolution, and indeed science in general, requires a certain level of logic and intellectual honesty.

In my experience, Creationists dispense with these disciplines as soon as they lead them to a result they do not like, which is all the time.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:15 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Your lack of knowledge regarding spelling doesn't exactly help your credibility.

Honestly, if you think it's respectful to tell someone they lack critical thinking skills purely for the fact that they're a creationist, then you need to take some classes in manners and etiquette. If someone you're debating with isn't getting it, why not just walk away instead of resorting to acting like you're better than everyone and everyone that disagrees with you is a moron? That goes for everyone on here who has said something rude or been insulting to someone else during this debate. Note that the vast majority of the rudeness is coming from the pro-evolution folk. What does that say about Christianity, that the "creationists" are the ones who are controlling themselves and remaining respectful? I feel sorry for all of you.
I think it requires a serious lack - or at least a temporary suspension - of critical thinking skills to be a Creationist in the first place.

Depending on what kind of Creationist you are talking about. A YEC, for example, is pretty much hopeless.

Theistic evolution, on the other hand, is technicaly "creationism" but is nothing more than adding religious belief to known facts, as opposed to trying to contradict known facts in favor of belief.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:20 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Default Should creationism be taught in public schools?

Don't know why not, the school system has already accepted cretinism.

"cretin |ˈkrētn|
noun
a stupid person (used as a general term of abuse).
• dated Medicine a person who is deformed and mentally handicapped because of congenital thyroid deficiency.
DERIVATIVES
cretinism |-ˌizəm| noun
cretinous |-əs| adjective
ORIGIN late 18th cent.: from French crétin, from Swiss French crestin ‘Christian’ (from Latin Christianus), here used to mean [human being,] apparently as a reminder that, though deformed, cretins were human and not beasts."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies