Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in public schools?
Yes 71 19.09%
No 295 79.30%
I don't know/No opinion 6 1.61%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 05:33 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Mainstream folks don't go around blaspheming
Blaspheming... how quain!

Quote:
Why should I have to send my kid to private school? Just to be PC?
Well if PC stands for "prefer christ" I would think that would be a good idea.

Quote:
America doesn't really feel so much like a democracy these days....
Oh, its a democracy alright, it's just that the Framers anticipated this "my religion rules because we are the majority" thing.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:33 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Well, I find it hard to believe that you can't apply your own logic to answer the question. Or, did you assume immigration involved only one direction and the entire populace? Now tell me, do you not see a possibility of immigration going south? BTW, scientific theory on this immigration doesn't discount (current) Iran-Iraq as being at the center of immigration a few thousand years ago. For you, it just started then, not before. Think about it.

They probably did. Some humans still do that.

Seriously though, you're the one trying to mince words. You speak of adaptation while conveniently avoiding any notion of how anything could adapt. If you don't understand what must go at micro levels to adapt to prevailing conditions, how can you authoritatively dismiss it? Adaptation is based on natural selection, and a term to use is micro evolution. Adaptation is a part of evolution. Evolution is NOT limited to adaptation alone.

And what involves adaptation? Mutations? At least you realize that micro evolution, that you choose to call adaptation, takes thousands of years. According to the study recently performed, Tibetans went through it in a relatively quick time frame (about three thousand years).

Well, you must first understand micro evolution to even consider macro evolution. Macro evolution requires a lot more than micro evolution, and a whole lot bigger time frame.

Do you think Neanderthals existed?

Why does it matter? Does it not satisfy your demand for teaching creationism in school? Or, do you take offense to learning about a different take on creationism because of your religious beliefs and would prefer to have others accept yours. That is it, isn't it? I caught that in you and virtually all supporters of creationism, a long time ago.
I'm surprised. From what everyone's saying, I have no critical thinking skills due to the fact that I believe in God. I actually did say that there was a southern migration, that was my original argument as to why people's skin color changed.

I don't believe that humans evolved from monkeys and that monkeys evolved from something before them and so on. I do believe adaptation occurs. One species does not create another without cross breeding (like the ass), and even then, sterility usually occurs.

Part of why I support teaching creationism is because the majority of Americans are in fact Christian. And wow, some of them even go to public school. I also support it b/c I believe it to be the correct theory (oh, no, I used that word again! Horrors!) and I believe people should be exposed to it. If the majority of Americans are Christian, why shouldn't we teach it?

Old 07-10-2010, 08:38 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Blaspheming... how quain!

Well if PC stands for "prefer christ" I would think that would be a good idea.

Oh, its a democracy alright, it's just that the Framers anticipated this "my religion rules because we are the majority" thing.
Quain? Not sure that's a word.

PC stands for politically correct and you know that. I'm sick of liberals trying to tell everyone what phrase to use just in case they might offend someone. People should grow up and not get their panties in a wad just b/c a black person is called black instead of African-American, for example.

The Framers' intent was that there should not be discrimination on the basis of religious viewpoint and that everyone in America would be free to practice whatever religion they want without persecution.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:41 PM

372 posts, read 221,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Atheism, by definition is the absence of religion, so what on earth are you talking about?

By the way, many of the experts that testified in for the plantiff in Tammy Kitzmiller, et al. v. Dover Area School District, et al., like Dr. Ken Miller are devout Christians. It may come as a shock to you but many religious folk object to creationism being taught in the schools.
Atheism speaks to the non-existance of a god. It doesn't rule out relgions, just god. You be an atheist and worship truth, or logic or the golden calf.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:42 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,853,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm surprised. From what everyone's saying, I have no critical thinking skills due to the fact that I believe in God. I actually did say that there was a southern migration, that was my original argument as to why people's skin color changed.

I don't believe that humans evolved from monkeys and that monkeys evolved from something before them and so on. I do believe adaptation occurs. One species does not create another without cross breeding (like the ass), and even then, sterility usually occurs.

Part of why I support teaching creationism is because the majority of Americans are in fact Christian. And wow, some of them even go to public school. I also support it b/c I believe it to be the correct theory (oh, no, I used that word again! Horrors!) and I believe people should be exposed to it. If the majority of Americans are Christian, why shouldn't we teach it?
The Bold: Ok first off, if you believe in creationism, and not EVOLUTION (The reason its caps is because I see that you said you belive in adaptation) how can you explain the fossil argument in this video (which has already been posted in this thread)

Also humans didn't evolve from monkeys as stated in this video (which has also been already posted in this thread)

Enjoy.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyapproved View Post
Atheism speaks to the non-existance of a god. It doesn't rule out relgions, just god. You be an atheist and worship truth, or logic or the golden calf.
Ruling out god is ruling out religion.

Definition of religion from Websters dictionary: the service and worship of God or the supernatural.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
If we evolved from animals, where did the animals come from? Why do we not see evolution today? Have you ever seen an animal evolve from pond scum?
Evolution happens over much longer time periods than would allow for direct observation. However, evolution has been observed both in the lab and in the field. The problem lies in creationist's definitions of species.

Observing Evolution - How Evolution Has Been Observed

Old 07-10-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
How do these songs go? (the ones about Obama)
If you want to see and hear it, here's the story

Elementary School Students Taught Pro-Obama Songs - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Old 07-10-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
FACTS should be taught in public schools.
How about this fact:

US Treaty with Tripoli, 1796-1797

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Does the 1796-97 Treaty with Tripoli Matter to Church/State Separation?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Wow this was pulled up quite a few pages back...This issue was already discussed in length, I'd rather not have to get into this again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies