Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in public schools?
Yes 71 19.09%
No 295 79.30%
I don't know/No opinion 6 1.61%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:47 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
You are right because if it was a fact, they would not call it a theory, they would in fact call it a fact.
not just a theory . com

The Theory of Evolution is a theory, but guess what? When scientists use the word theory, it has a different meaning to normal everyday use. That's right, it all comes down to the multiple meanings of the word theory. If you said to a scientist that you didn't believe in evolution because it was "just a theory", they'd probably be a bit puzzled.

In everyday use, theory means a guess or a hunch, something that maybe needs proof. In science, a theory is not a guess, not a hunch. It's a well-substantiated, well-supported, well-documented explanation for our observations. It ties together all the facts about something, providing an explanation that fits all the observations and can be used to make predictions. In science, theory is the ultimate goal, the explanation. It's as close to proven as anything in science can be.

Evolution is Not Just a Theory: home

I think that many here need to go back to public school just to get a general education. I provided link because the site explains it very simply and concisely. I learned this in school, why haven't you?

Old 07-23-2010, 10:51 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Umm.... That is a website promoting the fundamental christian view of creation. There is no science there. They mainly talk about why they think evolution is wrong, not why christian creationism is right. Many of the statements are outright lies.

Show me one bit of actual scientific evidence from that website that supports creationism, not unsupportable BS.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:53 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,623 times
Isn't just like the American educational system to put God into country, yet find itself so divided over the simple question, are we a product of God's creation
or just a biological composition in random occurrence? We get so caught up in the argument, either for or against creationism, that we neglect to deal with
the issues of greater importance. Why would the question of the teaching evolution take precedence over the growing concerns of the planet, things like
global warming, overpopulation,depleted resources and a host of other (and far more important) issues? Why is the focus, on something that we cannot change,
the details of our origin, rather than on the things we must change? Shouldn't we begin to teach our children those things that they must learn if they are to survive?

I could be wrong but it seems to me that global conditions in this emerging age are aligning themselves with a greater emphasis on the things that must change,
before some future civilization has the job of defining our own existence in respect to how we, the Earth's inhabitants of the millennium era, arrived at our own extinction.
Why are we so caught-up in the great debate? Of what merit would it be, if all of the people of the world were to be of one accord and gather on the hillside to sing,
"We are the world"? Do you really believe that having the answer would matter much to a generation of people so preoccupied with basic survival and those
necessities like food, water and shelter?

Look around, throw your door or window open and take a good long look at the world around you and if you should decide that there's nothing else that takes a higher priority
than getting an answer to a question that has always been and will always be unanswerable and as equally unimportant, in this day. Thankfully, we are in a country which
permits us to believe in either scenario, so why not spend those educational dollars on more relevant and timely issues? How important is it? I just know that so many people
are waiting for an answer, as to their existence, because getting that answer will free them up, to get back to the theory of perpetual motion.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Umm.... That is a website promoting the fundamental christian view of creation. There is no science there. They mainly talk about why they think evolution is wrong, not why christian creationism is right. Many of the statements are outright lies.

Show me one bit of actual scientific evidence from that website that supports creationism, not unsupportable BS.
I suppose that evolution is not comrehensible to those that have evolved enought to get it.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post

Rep to you too

Old 07-23-2010, 11:04 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Creationism....is a tool of distraction used by little movements with little minds.
The objective is not to forward creationism but to afford self attention to
the movement.

We all know , life evolves its way through survival, in existance.

Whats interesting is the force in adamant refusal to conform to reality is
a reflection of the limitation subjected on the very noble source of creation.

How can human thought excersize limitation in creation on the creator ?

Primitive and wild assertions prohibiting understanding in evolution is
a waste of time.
Say....That was good dude! Can you score me a $40.00 bag of the same stuff that must have inspired your comment?
Is it Hydro? Kush, maybe dust? Well, I just wanted to let you know that at least one of us was able to follow your logic.

Write on...

Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
What do you think should creationism be taught in public schools? Why or why not?
Public schools are not in the business of teaching religion. If they were they'd be obliged to teach comparative religion as a dispassionate study, not favoring one or another, and it would be nice to see that but it's never going to happen. Most Christians & Jews in America would feel threatened by this because in their minds it poses a risk their child would be seduced away from their traditions (Schlomo might become a Rastafarian). Kind of like this...

YouTube - Matisyahu - One day (Official Music Video) Awful? I don't think so but some feel otherwise.

Their argument would be that it's undo influence, inappropriate interference, an unfair oversimplification or dilution of their religion, and so it needs to remain that creationism needs to be taught during religious instruction.

Clergy & parents have ample opportunity in 18yrs to address any conflict in the childs mind about the difference between evolution theory and creationism. Their only real impediment being their own inability to explain or comprehend. Parochial schools have had no problems, so this is the equivalent of frivolous lawsuits haranguing on and on.

My perspective; it's the insecurity in their own faith speaking loudest when they carry on these arguments demanding wholesale public compliance with privately held religious beliefs. They lost an argument and are trying to keep it alive, distracting themselves from their own work. So long as the 'enemy' or 'devil' is pointed in infinite directions elsewhere, they're being grievously mislead by political clergy away from being accountable for themselves. Religious institutions in America are failing themselves miserably from the inside out, not from 'outside attacks'. They've given themselves license to conduct themselves as cults, and this needs to change if their respective religions are to survive. I'll pray for them but I won't vote for them.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
NO......only verified Science etc. but it can be mentioned to show why it is not plausible and how the Scientific Method really works>>>>>
Scientific method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-23-2010, 11:14 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,192,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
not just a theory . com

The Theory of Evolution is a theory, but guess what? When scientists use the word theory, it has a different meaning to normal everyday use. That's right, it all comes down to the multiple meanings of the word theory. If you said to a scientist that you didn't believe in evolution because it was "just a theory", they'd probably be a bit puzzled.

In everyday use, theory means a guess or a hunch, something that maybe needs proof. In science, a theory is not a guess, not a hunch. It's a well-substantiated, well-supported, well-documented explanation for our observations. It ties together all the facts about something, providing an explanation that fits all the observations and can be used to make predictions. In science, theory is the ultimate goal, the explanation. It's as close to proven as anything in science can be.

Evolution is Not Just a Theory: home

I think that many here need to go back to public school just to get a general education. I provided link because the site explains it very simply and concisely. I learned this in school, why haven't you?
There is NOTHING there that makes the word Theory mean FACT and would a scientist say that the world is round is a theory or fact.

Last edited by TRUEGRITT; 07-23-2010 at 11:26 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 11:24 PM

Creationists argue that evolution is "only a theory and cannot be proven."

As used in science, a theory is an explanation or model based on observation, experimentation, and reasoning, especially one that has been tested and confirmed as a general principle helping to explain and predict natural phenomena.

Any scientific theory must be based on a careful and rational examination of the facts. A clear distinction needs to be made between facts (things which can be observed and/or measured) and theories (explanations which correlate and interpret the facts.

A fact is something that is supported by unmistakeable evidence. For example, the Grand Canyon cuts through layers of different kinds of rock, such as the Coconino sandstone, Hermit shale, and Redwall limestone. These rock layers often contain fossils that are found only in certain layers. Those are the facts.

It is a fact is that fossil skulls have been found that are intermediate in appearance between humans and modern apes. It is a fact that fossils have been found that are clearly intermediate in appearance between dinosaurs and birds.

Facts may be interpreted in different ways by different individuals, but that doesn't change the facts themselves.

Theories may be good, bad, or indifferent. They may be well established by the factual evidence, or they may lack credibility. Before a theory is given any credence in the scientific community, it must be subjected to "peer review." This means that the proposed theory must be published in a legitimate scientific journal in order to provide the opportunity for other scientists to evaluate the relevant factual information and publish their conclusions.

Creationists refuse to subject their "theories" to peer reviews, because they know they don't fit the facts. The creationist mindset is distorted by the concept of "good science" (creationism) vs. "bad science" (anything not in agreement with creationism). Creation "scientists" are biblical fundamentalists who can not accept anything contrary to their sectarian religioius beliefs.

Definition of Scientific Theory

Let's just agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies