Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 05:56 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,228,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This question assumes you pay taxes now on the items for which you'd be willing to pay more.

"Most Americans would not pay higher taxes for specific public services in their states, but they are more supportive of paying for education and staffing law enforcement than supporting state employees and entitlement programs."

Most Americans Not Willing To Pay Higher Taxes For Public Employees, Entitlement Programs - Rasmussen Reports™

How about for tax money going to other state, county, local and federal programs/services? Examples: Parks, fire/EMS, public TV/radio, school lunches/breakfasts, pre-K, sidewalks, street lights, border patrol, summer camps, energy, etc.
NO ! ! ! NO ! ! ! NO ! ! !

NO MORE TAXES ! ! ! NO HIGHER TAXES ! ! !

Shut it down, send the government home.

If a financial collapse is the price of cleaning out government and either dramatically and/or drastically reducing government expenditures....

DEEM IT SO ! ! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 06:02 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,719,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I'd pay for a fact checker agency and an enforcement arm that made it illegal for members of the US congress and senate to lie when speaking on the floor of the house.
I'd help pay for a personal lie detector for each member of Congress, to be worn during speeches on the floor of the house...along the lines of a wrist bracelet (as opposed to an ankle bracelet) so we can all see it light up
when he/she departs from the truth. Wearing of it would, of course, be voluntary.

Anyone out there want to invent one? Big market in D.C. for such a gadget.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:05 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,453,241 times
There is no need to pay more taxes. We already pay a lot in taxes. I would shift around what we spend money on and cut what I consider to be non-essential programs or those that should be dealt with at a local instead of federal level.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:07 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,889,086 times
I wouldn't want to pay more taxes... last time I check, every dollar more in taxes got me less and less in return... why would I want that? That includes education... trillions of dollars sank into it and its getting WORSE and WORSE... The only way I would pay more taxes is if it got me more and more... strangely enough... NOT ONE government program ever gets more... moral of the story? If you want to waste your money, give it to the government...

Old 07-07-2010, 07:35 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,659,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This question assumes you pay taxes now on the items for which you'd be willing to pay more.

"Most Americans would not pay higher taxes for specific public services in their states, but they are more supportive of paying for education and staffing law enforcement than supporting state employees and entitlement programs."

Most Americans Not Willing To Pay Higher Taxes For Public Employees, Entitlement Programs - Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢

How about for tax money going to other state, county, local and federal programs/services? Examples: Parks, fire/EMS, public TV/radio, school lunches/breakfasts, pre-K, sidewalks, street lights, border patrol, summer camps, energy, etc.
Only ONE thing would I be willing to suck up another tax on, and I actually think that the Feds should just do some ....rebudgeting. That is veterans benefits, especially ones who were severely wounded/crippled. I think they should be taken care of, for life. Medically and financially. They earned it. The way I figger it, if we dumped benefits for illegals, a bunch of welfare subsistence, paying disability to drug addicts etc, we could take GOOD care of our vets and I would be willing to pony up a lil' extra to be sure about that.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,078,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana]I would pay higher taxes to support people that have lost their employment and are not like to ever work in their field again. They played the game and the game masters changed the rules. Unemployment is not their fault.
When does it cease to be unemployment and become welfare?

Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 PM

469 posts, read 579,961 times
A real and comprehensive enforcement of illegal immigration laws.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:28 PM

469 posts, read 579,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Care to elaborate? Is it our stated goal to kill civilians? Or are you just looking to take cheap shots?

Move to Canada if you hate it here so much.
Visvaldis is German born, I think. European's only purpose in life is to insult America. That's because they suck at everything else.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:35 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,078,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
(Maybe not everywhere,) but are not law enforcement employees part of the dreaded unions that we have been repeatably told by some here are destroying the nation, with their excessive benefits including a taxpayer funded retirement after only 20 years, and other perks?

Most Americans who are against funding many things, change their tune when they are the receiver of the benefit.
As the State of Texas has said, after the Governor saying they would turn down the funds: "We cannot waste tax dollars, or miss the opportunity to make this one-time source of funds for work for Texans".

We don't want it but we will take it.
In some places, for example, the fire fighters are public employees and in other places they are volunteers. So, I'm thinking locally, some people might prefer a paid fire department and be willing to pay taxes to have one. Where I lived before, my town of 24,000 had a volunteer fire department and where I live now, my town of 27,5000 has a paid fire department.

I'm not willing to pay more taxes for anything until the Feds do a better job of spending what they get now. I'll tell you one thing. A lot of federal government waste is because of the crappy way the laws are written by Congress. But seriously, some federal government agencies could lose 25% of their workforce if they worked more efficiently and effectively. Someone needs to look into why higher graded headquarters employees need more supervision than lower graded ones. You know, why do you need a Grade 15 manager to manage 7 - 10 Grades 13 and 14 employees in headquarters when in the field, a grade 9 employee manages 20 - 25 Grades 3 - 9 employees. Shouldn't the Grade 14s need less supervision?

Old 07-08-2010, 12:28 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,991,834 times
People really wonder why their federal taxes are so high? Maybe because we've spent $1 trillion so far in Iraq and Afghanistan and are still spending $5000 per second there. Maybe it's because the richest americans aren't paying their fair share (if they're paying any taxes at all) and when they run their companies into the ground through incompetence or malfeasance they take our money and give themselves bonuses.

History of U.S. Gov’t Bailouts - ProPublica
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies