Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:59 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times

Advertisements

This question assumes you pay taxes now on the items for which you'd be willing to pay more.

"Most Americans would not pay higher taxes for specific public services in their states, but they are more supportive of paying for education and staffing law enforcement than supporting state employees and entitlement programs."

Most Americans Not Willing To Pay Higher Taxes For Public Employees, Entitlement Programs - Rasmussen Reports™

How about for tax money going to other state, county, local and federal programs/services? Examples: Parks, fire/EMS, public TV/radio, school lunches/breakfasts, pre-K, sidewalks, street lights, border patrol, summer camps, energy, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 11:04 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
For more bombs to kill non-American civilians. Yippee!

Old 07-07-2010, 11:08 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
It really doesn't matter at this point as the future includes higher taxes ;dirct and indirect plus deep cut in programs because of the present deficit amounts.Its going to take decades to payoff it so it does not make this country look third world.Its now just matter of what cuts you want with higher taxes; not what you want to gain.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:09 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,582,287 times
I would pay more taxes for new weapon systems that maintain America's military supremacy over her enemies.

Last edited by Bostonian123; 07-07-2010 at 11:22 AM..

Old 07-07-2010, 11:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I would pay higher taxes to support people that have lost their employment and are not like to ever work in their field again. They played the game and the game masters changed the rules. Unemployment is not their fault.

I would not pay higher taxes, and resent paying as much as I do, to continue to support our Imperial pretenses or subsidize very profitable corporate farms and the gasohol program. Those people are welfare cheats of the most expensive kind.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
I would pay higher taxes to pay off the national debt. My ideal government is not in debt, provides minimal defense, and does nothing but protect basic rights. My ideal government provides nothing in terms of social programs. I would pay what I need to in order to help get America to that point.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
I WOULD pay new taxes for:

- a militarized border guard service
- a paramilitary federal police force
- a larger US Army
- a vastly improved and modernized infrastructure system
- improved and modernized transportation and mass transit systems
- electronic voting nationwide
- a national ID card

I WOULD NOT pay more taxes for:

- stupid solutions to border security and defense ("virtual fences" and high tech stuff that dosent work)
- social welfare programs
- universal health care
- pointless, unnecessary garbage for the US Navy and US Air Force to re-fight the Cold War that ended in 1991
- amnesty for illegal immigrants

Old 07-07-2010, 11:23 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This question assumes you pay taxes now on the items for which you'd be willing to pay more.

"Most Americans would not pay higher taxes for specific public services in their states, but they are more supportive of paying for education and staffing law enforcement than supporting state employees and entitlement programs."

Most Americans Not Willing To Pay Higher Taxes For Public Employees, Entitlement Programs - Rasmussen Reports™

How about for tax money going to other state, county, local and federal programs/services? Examples: Parks, fire/EMS, public TV/radio, school lunches/breakfasts, pre-K, sidewalks, street lights, border patrol, summer camps, energy, etc.
(Maybe not everywhere,) but are not law enforcement employees part of the dreaded unions that we have been repeatably told by some here are destroying the nation, with their excessive benefits including a taxpayer funded retirement after only 20 years, and other perks?

Most Americans who are against funding many things, change their tune when they are the receiver of the benefit.
As the State of Texas has said, after the Governor saying they would turn down the funds: "We cannot waste tax dollars, or miss the opportunity to make this one-time source of funds for work for Texans".

We don't want it but we will take it.

Last edited by plannine; 07-07-2010 at 11:32 AM..

Old 07-07-2010, 11:33 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
I don't think public employees in any branch of federal, state, or municipal government should be uninonized.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:36 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,618,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
For more bombs to kill non-American civilians. Yippee!
Care to elaborate? Is it our stated goal to kill civilians? Or are you just looking to take cheap shots?

Move to Canada if you hate it here so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies