Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 09:13 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,634,206 times

Advertisements

Jim Willie | Crisis Redux | 2010-07-07 | FINANCIAL SENSE

July, 7 2010 article by Jim Willie

One of the most pernicious dirty secrets is that the supposedly excess bank reserves parked at the USFed are actually Loan Loss Reserves attracted by the USFed itself, by virtue of interest yield offered. Banks are running naked and insolvent and constipated, hardly a pretty image. The extraordinary measures have worn off, even as the political will to continue them has faded away. Reality has a way of returning to the scene, front & center. A rot has permeated the USEconomy. Personal bankruptcies are up 14% in the first half of 2010, hardly a sign of a recovery. Home sales are down. Foreclosures are unrelenting. Retail sales are down. Factory orders are down. California might look worse than Greece. About one million Americans have dropped out of the jobs market in the last two months. Eight million jobs have been lost in the recession that never actually ended. The rolls of people unemployed but not receiving a jobless insurance check amount to 9.2 million. The USFed has begun to eye the Printing Pre$$ once again. Internal battles within the USFed center upon asset deflation and resumed bond monetization. The august body of hacks who occupy offices at the venerable US Federal Reserve Board is arguing in heated fashion about QE2, a Round #2 of powerful monetary printing, bond purchase, and financial market defecation, with predictably destructive capital formation effects toward which they remain blind.

More at link.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I read the Financial Sense website every night. There are so many good editorials and from a wide spectrum of authors.

Many of the contributors there have turned bearish lately and are urging folks to protect what they have..."preservation OF capital" because too many indicators are pointing to another dip.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
So where am I supposed to put my Mutual Fund savings to protect them from this catastrophe?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
So where am I supposed to put my Mutual Fund savings to protect them from this catastrophe?
If you are in a 401K there is a special fund called "Stable" which is the equivalent of a Money Market fund. It's a fund of Treasuries but with an underlying insurance policy to keep that $1 value minimum.

If you are not in a 401K then you can just move to a Treasury or MM type mutual fund and sit on the sidelines for a while.

There is nothing wrong with sitting on the sidelines (out of stocks) during bear markets. It's all in the timing of getting out and then getting back in.
During this time though you can be speculative with some of your money; money you can afford to lose. That's what I'm doing right now..the bulk of my savings is fairly liquid and not in stocks but I have some "play" money in Fidelity that I am gambling with..short term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies