Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 01:09 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,444,205 times

Advertisements

James Mattis will replace David Petraeus as the commander of Centcom. - By John Dickerson - Slate Magazine

GREAT choice by President Obama!

"When President Obama named Petraeus to replace McChrystal in Afghanistan, he signaled that he was not retreating from the counterinsurgency (COIN) strategy, with its emphasis on quick adaptation and winning over the population through a reduction in force. Petraeus was one of the two generals behind Field Manual 3-24, Counterinsurgency, that outlined the doctrine. Mattis was the other. "The two generals established an impressive rapport based on their shared understanding of the conduct of counterinsurgency and of the urgent need to reform their services to make them more capable of conducting this most difficult kind of war," wrote John Nagl, a member of the manual's writing team and author of Learning To Eat Soup With a Knife, a key text in the counterinsurgency canon."

Also, you gotta love someone who can say with a straight face on the outside and a gigantic smile on the inside: "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f**k with me, I'll kill you all."

Congratulations, General Mattis! Sorry your onion-growing will have to wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 01:57 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
At first look, it seems like a good choice. Too bad Petraeus was demoted during all of this.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:08 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,897,155 times
Anyone picked by this president should be watched . Enemy forces will increase and more US troops and allies will die or be driven insane with ROE, imo . Americans will soon pay a high price for their damn complacentcy .

Old 07-08-2010, 02:10 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,897,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
At first look, it seems like a good choice. Too bad Petraeus was demoted during all of this.
To hell with him and all the other top dis who don't speak out against this illegal war and rules of engagemnet .

Nobody will ever civilize the middle east but many will die .

Old 07-08-2010, 02:11 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,704 times
Another warmonger. I name him "Spraying Mantis" for all of the bullets that will fly in this bid to dominate the globe.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:55 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,444,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post

To hell with him and all the other top dis who don't speak out against this illegal war and rules of engagemnet .

Nobody will ever civilize the middle east but many will die .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post

Another warmonger. I name him "Spraying Mantis" for all of the bullets that will fly in this bid to dominate the globe.
Did both of you miss the first sentence in the quote I provided from the linked article?

"When President Obama named Petraeus to replace McChrystal in Afghanistan, he signaled that he was not retreating from the counterinsurgency (COIN) strategy, with its emphasis on quick adaptation and winning over the population through a reduction in force. Petraeus was one of the two generals behind Field Manual 3-24, Counterinsurgency, that outlined the [COIN] doctrine. Mattis was the other."

And while I agree that Iraq is an (as yet not prosecuted-for) illegal war, we have a legitimate reason to be in Afghanistan, and a genuine national interest in stabilizing that country and wresting it from the Taliban's control.

I think putting these two men, Patraeus and Mattis, together again to execute our strategy is the best possible move to get us the hell out of there the quickest.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:14 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,605,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post

I think putting these two men, Patraeus and Mattis, together again to execute our strategy is the best possible move to get us the hell out of there the quickest.
[/color][/color]

So do I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies