Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:19 PM

175 posts, read 113,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Change Washington? in what way? Obama has been an overtly Partisan President. He has done nothing to curtail the bitterness that exists in Washington.

Unless by "Change Washington" you mean turn it into Chicago, then you have lost whatever credibility you thought you had.
The only thing remotely partisan about President Obama is the lock-step refusal of Republicans to contribute anything to the solution for America's problems.

I guess some of you hold Obama responsible for the acts of Republicans (and considering how simplisitic most arguments are on this board and the power of truth bending bias - I'd guess that this was the case)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damie View Post
The only thing remotely partisan about President Obama is the lock-step refusal of Republicans to contribute anything to the solution for America's problems.

I guess some of you hold Obama responsible for the acts of Republicans (and considering how simplisitic most arguments are on this board and the power of truth bending bias - I'd guess that this was the case)
For the last time, Obama and the Dems control both the House and the Senate. Obama doesn't need the Repubs to get things accomplished. Obama only needs to be able to lead his own party.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:03 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,857,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Ahh.. and then we get to the anti-intellectualism. Harvard = Bad. America's top institution of higher learning falsely and unnecessarily assaulted.

The assertion here that some type of "common sense" (which tends to be defined as :what right wingers think") that comes from NOT attending a top institution is far superior to intellect that has been honed at top schools.

More agenda based, false criticism to self-satisfy the masses-- some of whom are envious of people with the means and brains to attend Harvard and the like-- some of whom are ignorant of the difference between a Harvard education and an HVAC associates at the local community college -- and some of whom who identify the quality of a university with the success of its football team.

I wish I could have gone to Harvard. But it was a top-tier state institution for me. I don't begrudge those who did, however.

Do you attempt to select a physician who is a community college drop-out, or would prefer the one who went to Harvard?
I would select the best one for my needs based on their work.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:05 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
For the last time, Obama and the Dems control both the House and the Senate. Obama doesn't need the Repubs to get things accomplished. Obama only needs to be able to lead his own party.
While I agree that another legitimate criticism of Obama is his inability to establish party discipline to get more progressive bills passed, the Republicans bear some responsibility. They ab(used) the filibusterer a record number of times during this congress, essentially forcing the Dem's to get their agenda through only with 60 votes in the Senate. That's not reasonable if you at the same time are screaming about the lack of partisanship.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:06 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Corruption eventually undermines itself. Too bad it took over a year and this administration didn't fall when Congress was passing huge bulls without reading them.
Usually with power comes corruption, however, int his case, he was already corrupt.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:07 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,748,514 times
Quote:
Are the failures of the Obama administration to achieve their full agenda due to the incompetence and inexperience of the administration or the consistent undermining of their policies and efforts by the opposing party? Is it some combination of both? Would things be different right now if not for the corporate interest sponsored health care mobs at town halls last summer? Has Obama been his own worst enemy in terms of providing leadership to get his agenda passed?
The Dems control the White House, Senate and Congress yet Obama's failures are the Republican's fault.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:07 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Pretty soon he won't have his own party, they will all be thrown under the bus

Old 07-13-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
While I agree that another legitimate criticism of Obama is his inability to establish party discipline to get more progressive bills passed, the Republicans bear some responsibility. They ab(used) the filibusterer a record number of times during this congress, essentially forcing the Dem's to get their agenda through only with 60 votes in the Senate. That's not reasonable if you at the same time are screaming about the lack of partisanship.

It appears the electorate wants the Republicans to stop him. This will become clear to you in November.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, a law degree from the most competitive law school in the country means your smart. Where did you go to school?

Again, there are legitimate concerns and criticisms and there is undermining of the President. If Harvard law school is not good enough for you, perhaps your standards are a tad high.
The fact that Bush went to Yale was not good enough for some on the left.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:12 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
The Dems control the White House, Senate and Congress yet Obama's failures are the Republican's fault.
I know you meant Senate and House of Representatives. It is the Senate and House of Representatives together that comprise congress...

I know you probably made a typo and wouldn't make such an error-- if you're commenting here I always assume you have a basic knowledge of civics.

Again-- while I lay blame for lack of Democrat Party dicipline squarely at Obama, Reid and Pelosis's feet-- the ab(use) of the Filibuster by the Republicans has been established and is another factor in the agenda not getting through in the more progressive form that many of us voted for.

Not to mention tactics like the Health Care mobs (documented as to have been organized by corporate interests) and the constant replaying of these scenes of "angry Americans" ad nauseum, undermined the ability to have the type of party discipline it takes to get things done, when every piece of legislation is filibustered.

I know often prefer the very simple explanation, but in this case the simple explanation is too reductionist to be correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies