Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 09:30 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

Put lipstick on a pig and it is still a pig.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:44 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
I would consider this in "bad taste" considering the area and the attack on the new york. The zoning board and the people trying to build it 2 blocks from ground zero I don't think they have a respect for the sensitive times and matter of the issue. I see no reason it shouldn't be built from a legal or rights issue considering its PRIVATE property being sold and not on government property.

With that being said I think those who are outraged for this bad taste location and the memory of 9/11 they have a right to protest outside the building 24 hours a day if they want to. Just people who protest another walmart going up and or any other reason.
More or less letting the government know they disagree with the location not the religious freedom to practice your religion. Just as I don't think we would want a Japan flag flying over pearl harbor. Frankly I don't think anything should be built out of respect for the dead and the bodies never recovered. Anything can be done legally and constitutionally just as the peoples right to protest its location. I don't think the federal government has any business in local building zones just as the President said but those people who live in New York should speak up if they don't like it. Legally they don't have much to stand on but enough pressure might make the Muslim community think twice about building it.

Last edited by LibertyandJusticeforAll; 08-18-2010 at 10:00 AM..

Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I would consider this in bad taste considering the area and the attack on the new york zoning board and the people trying to build it 2 blocks from ground zero. I see no reason it shouldn't be built from a legal or rights issue considering its PRIVATE property being sold and not on government property.

With that being said I think those who are outraged for this bad taste location and the memory of 9/11 they have a right to protest outside the building 24 hours a day if they want to.
More or less letting the government know they disagree with the location not the religious freedom to practice your religion. They don't want it BUILT THERE. Just as I don't think we would want a Japan flag flying over pearl harbor. Frankly I don't think anything should be built their out of respect for the dead and the bodies never recovered. Anything can be done legally and constitutionally just as the peoples right to protest its location. I don't think the federal government has any business in local building zones just as the President said but those people who live in New York should speak up if they want to they LIVE THERE!
The left would consider protests to be hate speech/hate crimes, and wouldn't allow it.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:48 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
It's not a mosque... It's a community center with Basketball courts...

where the cheerleaders chant "D - E - A -T -H death death death to America!!!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:49 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
yeah..and a "small" prayer room that will hold about 2000 people on Friday nights for worship.
hehe.. yeah i recall some liberal here recently protesting that it was merely a 'small prayer room,' then someone pointed out the tremendous spaciousness of said 'small prayer room,' and the liberal left the thread

Quote:
mosque   /mɒsk, mɔsk/ Show Spelled[mosk, mawsk] Show IPA
–noun
a Muslim temple or place of public worship.
yup, it's a mosque.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:51 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Just like the Republicans are doing with any and everything else. The greed heads are terrified at the thought of what a progressive administration would do the privilege of the top one percent.

This contraversy is just another diversion.

BTW - this is a free country and any religion can build a worship house anywhere they want within the constraints of local law. I am not about to tell some Muslims they cannot build a Mosque lest they tell me I can't build a church where ever local zioning will let me. Everyone has the freedom to be annoying.
Exactly.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
With radical Islam and those ascribing to Shariah as Imam Rauf promotes should be part of the US judical system, tolerance and repsect for the freedom of religion is a one way street . Kafir deserve nothing.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:57 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It's not a mosque... It's a community center with Basketball courts...

where the cheerleaders chant "D - E - A -T -H death death death to America!!!
They do that cheer, too? It was everso popular while I was in high school as well.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:05 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default NYC awash in mosques that no one is protesting

The line between legality and appropriateness is not that fine of a line in this controversy.

Same as if if McDonalds wants to place a restaurant where the residents don't want it to be. They like McDonalds but not right there.

When Nancy commences with her proposed investigation of the anti mosque crowd she will find that Hamas is not one of their contributors.

'Its not a mosque'.....its a 'Transformer'.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:15 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
So you're saying "all" muslims are "radical" just like "all" Christians will bomb abortion clinics.
Are you really that ignorant of the English language or do you think you are a smart a** lawyer playing word games.

I don't tolerate either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies