Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 06:40 AM

306 posts, read 605,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
lol, I actually caught that yesterday morning flipping through the channels. Yes education is the answer according to the Obama administration official. So I guess the people who were able to get by before without it should all of a sudden come up with 60k in school debt and go to school for 4 years and somehow keep a roof over their heads and feed the family. This maybe be the answer for the younger ones but it isn't an answer for me. I'm heading to mid 40's and I'm sorry I'm not going to take school debt on at this stage of my life. I have used some of the states money to get certification training but beyond that I dont think school is the answer. The answer is being enough decent paying jobs for people at this point not education.

Well, I'm in my 40's and consider myself young!!! I have a degree, and I'm also going back to school at the present time to advance that degree. This is so I can move ahead years down the road, not now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 06:51 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,657,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
Well, I'm in my 40's and consider myself young!!! I have a degree, and I'm also going back to school at the present time to advance that degree. This is so I can move ahead years down the road, not now.
Sounds to me like your currently working then and can afford it. I dont consider myself young anymore in my 40's, you probably have half your life left if your lucky and I sure would hope not to have to spend it all thinking about working. I dont know, I dont see going into debt for it at this age.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:45 PM

11,307 posts, read 18,909,383 times
Anyone see this yet?

Fox News host Glenn Beck: Some unemployed 99ers should be ashamed to call themselves American

At least it's good to know that the Daily News poll attached to this article/video show that 94% of those who at least read it there disagree with Beck and do think the 99ers are simply having a hard time following a job and not "leeching the system". But will 94% of Congress voting on S.3706 agree?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:18 PM

163 posts, read 712,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Anyone see this yet?

Fox News host Glenn Beck: Some unemployed 99ers should be ashamed to call themselves American

At least it's good to know that the Daily News poll attached to this article/video show that 94% of those who at least read it there disagree with Beck and do think the 99ers are simply having a hard time following a job and not "leeching the system". But will 94% of Congress voting on S.3706 agree?
What do you think the odds are that this S.3706 will actually pass? Not what you know- but what you personally believe?

Watching this guy blow air- makes me wonder just how hard this is going to be even IF the market is headed for yet another dump and the chances of jobs opening up any time soon are slim to none.

I guess the best we can hope for is that logic is used and the election will be contingent on the support of this bill (or at least in part).

Old 08-18-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Sounds to me like your currently working then and can afford it. I dont consider myself young anymore in my 40's, you probably have half your life left if your lucky and I sure would hope not to have to spend it all thinking about working. I dont know, I dont see going into debt for it at this age.
It appears I maybe correct in my thinking.......

jobjournal.com | Employment resources for job seekers – Don't Let Job Training Leave You Obsolete, California, San Francisco, Sacramento, Northern California, Bay Area – jobs searches openings career changes expos fairs hiring *(California Job Journa

Old 08-18-2010, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 10,054 times
Why is it you hear that the 99rs are lazy.No one talks about welfare or billions to the rich or billions to other countries.I would still have my job if they did not send my job to china why don't they talk about that.Why don't they talk about the rich getting there bonuses.Im so sick of this country worry about other countries but there own.Plus who gets a month off from work the most i had was 2 weeks the whitehouse should be working till this country has jobs.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:09 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,507,533 times
It appears from this article career retraining is the key. I have read people now will have 3-4 careers in their lifetime. Key is to determine what is relevant now and what will be in the future.

In spite of some reports, reading through another thread on this board, it appears that IT/IS is still very, very lucrative for certain people with the knack and right experience. Some young guys of 28 earning big $$ doing IT on a contract/self employment basis. Key is to save, save, save some of those big bucks for the next retool.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:20 PM

11,307 posts, read 18,909,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettebup47 View Post
What do you think the odds are that this S.3706 will actually pass? Not what you know- but what you personally believe?

Watching this guy blow air- makes me wonder just how hard this is going to be even IF the market is headed for yet another dump and the chances of jobs opening up any time soon are slim to none.

I guess the best we can hope for is that logic is used and the election will be contingent on the support of this bill (or at least in part).
I actually think the odds are low it will pass and I fear the fallout. We are already becoming the most polarized, angry, hateful society I have ever seen in my lifetime (was too young to remember the late 1960s but I'm counting that) and I'm not sure what it will be like when we have millions more "permanently unemployed" with no income being kicked to the curb.

But the optimist in me thinks that somehow, someway when these midterm elections are done, it will start to magically "get better" as there's no "electioneering" for awhile and the pols realize that having this kind of division long-term is going to destroy us as a nation.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
It appears from this article career retraining is the key. I have read people now will have 3-4 careers in their lifetime. Key is to determine what is relevant now and what will be in the future.

In spite of some reports, reading through another thread on this board, it appears that IT/IS is still very, very lucrative for certain people with the knack and right experience. Some young guys of 28 earning big $$ doing IT on a contract/self employment basis. Key is to save, save, save some of those big bucks for the next retool.
I haven't seen it although I'm not a high end IT guy either. I still would have thought that I would have been able to find a job by now in IT. Still not yet after 88 weeks total and I dont know about it being lucrative. I will never get rich off of it and all I see on an IT job board forum is people complaining about the low wages they are getting offered.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:47 PM

285 posts, read 561,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Anyone see this yet?

This is all we need. Another out of touch republican moron. I see that 87% don't agree with him at this point. What's so amazing to me is how out of touch so many people in higher places are.

THIS FACE SHOULD BE IN WEBSTERS DICTIONARY UNDER "MORON"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies