Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:59 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,205,567 times

Advertisements

It is a well-known fact that men(as a group) are innately better at math than women, because of genetic differences between men and women.

Are Men Better at Math? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

And this gap is not cultural, so it cannot be erased through any program or policy devised by society. And if most IQ tests seem to focus mostly on visuo-spatial ability, such as this IQ test(and most others).

http://iqtest.dk/main.swf

And if the highest performers on IQ tests are even more disproportionately male than would be indicated by the overall male/female IQ divide. And if having a high IQ, and possessing abilities in math and sciences have the highest value in our society, and should correlate with higher wages and success. Then, if all things are equal, shouldn't women basically be almost second-class human beings in our social structure?

So if it could be said that any equality between men and women can only exist through artificial means. Because men and women are inherently unequal. Then all talk of equality between men and women should be scoffed at as the ridiculous non-sense it is. And completely ignored as pure fantasy.

How does this make women feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 07:07 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,026,960 times
it all evens out in divorce court, women excell at math then. never mind her lawyer was male

Old 07-23-2010, 07:11 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,505,717 times
I read men are better with math and women are better with languages. Men are left brain and women are right brain, that is all. Kinda like one is better at one thing and the other sex are better than with the other. Fits together like complementary physical bodies, via la difference. YEA

Old 07-23-2010, 07:13 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,255,215 times
High IQ's, abilities in math and science don't give birth, keep families together, nurture anything other than their own ego, and don't necessarily make a lot of money - a lot tend to hide out in academia forever where they are comfortable because their social skills aren't so great.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:17 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,026,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I read men are better with math and women are better with languages. Men are left brain and women are right brain, that is all. Kinda like one is better at one thing and the other sex are better than with the other. Fits together like complementary physical bodies, via la difference. YEA
my whole life i been told as a southpaw i use my right brain instead of left oh know are you thinking what i'm thinking? nah i'm too old

Old 07-23-2010, 07:21 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,642 times
Just a bit of info from a college statistics course I took: If you look at the bell curves (showing distribution) of IQ between men and women, they show that men have a larger, flatter bell-shaped distribution, meaning more of them are found at the extremes (both the smartest and the least intelligent). The bell curve of womens' IQs is narrower and with a higher peak to the curve: in other words, more women are grouped toward the middle, and less are found at the extremes of high and low intelligence.

Of course, the highest IQ holder in the Guiness Book of World Records is a woman: Marilyn Vos Savant.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:31 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,205,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I realize that women tend to be better with language. My point is that the skills men possess(and women generally do not) are of more monetary value. So men should always be financially superior to women, forever. And if the goal for women is to have financial independence or equality with men. Then this could only exist by having unfair hiring/advancement policies.

Without a democratic system where women are given an equal vote in the policies of businesses or in society(government). Then women should always be in a position of almost an oppressed minority. With no way to rectify the situation, because their skills will never have equal value to a man's.

If women receive most of their power from equal representation under a democratic system, but tend to have a lesser value allocated to them by society(usually through compensatory wages). Then in the absence of this democratic system(government), then women would inescapably fall back into their sub-male roles.

If that was the case, then would people be running around talking about how to cure female underachievement?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:32 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
It is a well-known fact that men(as a group) are innately better at math than women, because of genetic differences between men and women.

Are Men Better at Math? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

And this gap is not cultural, so it cannot be erased through any program or policy devised by society. And if most IQ tests seem to focus mostly on visuo-spatial ability, such as this IQ test(and most others).

http://iqtest.dk/main.swf

And if the highest performers on IQ tests are even more disproportionately male than would be indicated by the overall male/female IQ divide. And if having a high IQ, and possessing abilities in math and sciences have the highest value in our society, and should correlate with higher wages and success. Then, if all things are equal, shouldn't women basically be almost second-class human beings in our social structure?

So if it could be said that any equality between men and women can only exist through artificial means. Because men and women are inherently unequal. Then all talk of equality between men and women should be scoffed at as the ridiculous non-sense it is. And completely ignored as pure fantasy.

How does this make women feel?
This woman feels fine, because she knows the stereotype to which you refer was just that, a stereotype - something that appeared to be, but never was.

Quote:
In a new study published recently in Science, Professor Janet Hyde and colleagues may have spotted the first signs of change. They used data from around 7 million US children in 10 US states from grade 2 through to grade 11, routinely gathered as part of a national assessment exercise.

They wanted to find out if boys are still performing better than girls at math. What they found was that in marked contrast to earlier research, there was little or no difference in maths performance between girls and boys in all of the 10 states. In some states girls performed fractionally better, on average, than boys, and in other states this trend was reversed.

"There just aren't gender differences anymore in math performance," says Professor Hyde. "So parents and teachers need to revise their thoughts about this." http://www.spring.org.uk/2008/07/are...s-at-maths.php
Quote:
Science 25 July 2008:
Vol. 321. no. 5888, pp. 494 - 495
DOI: 10.1126/science.1160364

Education Forum

Gender Similarities Characterize Math Performance

Janet S. Hyde,1* Sara M. Lindberg,1 Marcia C. Linn,2 Amy B. Ellis,3 Caroline C. Williams,3 Standardized tests in the U.S. indicate that girls now score just as well as boys in math.
I was a math/computer science teacher for 35 years. My gifted students were equally distributed over both genders.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:38 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,971 times
I was smart enough to marry my wife. Does that count?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:40 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
High IQ's, abilities in math and science don't give birth, keep families together, nurture anything other than their own ego, and don't necessarily make a lot of money - a lot tend to hide out in academia forever where they are comfortable because their social skills aren't so great.
Really? Maybe true in your circle - not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies