Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times

Advertisements

Like hell Iraq is a better place to live than it was under Saddam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 07:50 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,230,339 times
Originally Posted by GregW
Quote:
Like hell Iraq is a better place to live than it was under Saddam.
Right.
And as an American you see a difference between The Patriot Act, Guantanamo Bay and the Iraqis living in Iraq?
I guess Gustav Hasford is the only American who learned from Vietnam (and Korea)?
Quote:
In an unnecessary war, patriotism is just racism made to sound noble.
Gustav Hasford writer of ‘The Short-Timers’ the novel ‘Full Metal Jacket’ is based upon.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:54 AM

713 posts, read 1,865,577 times
I'm just fed up with our utterly incompetent and oversized government. How much of our income do we send to these clowns, only to have them botch everything they try to do? "War on poverty, war on terror, war on drugs"...it's all bull****. It's just an excuse to "create jobs" for people with the right connections, at the expense of everyone else.

Government has no accountability, it can do whatever it wants to whomever it wants, because it has raw power. Throw them all out...both parties...they're all the same. They pander to their constituencies to get elected, and then act as parasites on their citizens.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:12 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
They hate us because they hate themselves.

Hate is their habit.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:15 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,333,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARefugee View Post
Knowing all I know now, I can't really say I can blame someone if they want to kill Americans.
First to understand you, we must "know what you know." Here you have captured the singularity of being the smartest person. You've set it up so that should anyone dare disagree with what you think, they just aren't as enlightened as you.

Next, you engage in the most dynamic of blame-shifting. Using this tactic, America is to blame for everything and killing Americans is endorsed. Or, at least you can't say you blame them. That's enough. You have entered a not-guilty verdict on the jury of thought.

I hope you enjoy this mental and emotional state of not being able to really say you blame someone. It takes real courage, candor and wisdom to not be able to really say you blame someone.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:30 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
I thnik if you look back in history you will see that any country that dominated the world was hated. Just as a example look at how americans viewed western europe until and upto WWII. After the war most veterans came back with little like for anything european.Even the isolationist movement today is based on americas view of the world. Many now think that most of the world is not worth any american lifes.What doesthios say aboput waht america thinks about the rest of the world;basically that they are not worth doing anyhting about. That is in stark contrast to the psot-WWII era.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Why wouldn't any country hate us. We come in with gangbuster promises.
We have them open trade with us and then subsidize our imports to them thus cratering their internal economy.
And then we "force" democracy on them because we KNOW without a doubt that is what they want.

All this at our expense.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:37 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,715,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by LNTT_VacationerYou know this how?
Thru actual experience or propaganda?

Just replacing 1 dictator with another can hardly be called a solution.
A dictator that is constitutionally scheduled for removal this year...

Old 05-02-2008, 12:44 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,389,656 times
Paranoia runs deep....(everbody hates us? enough to destroy themselves to destroy us?))
into your life it will creep......(post 9-11)
it starts when you are always afraid....(endless war on terror)
step out of line the man comes and take you away(give up your rights,and you'll be safe...yeah?)

so maybe parts of the world hates us for our lifestyle?....do you think they do enough to sign their own destruction?

Most Muslim countries hate each other and would be busy waring each other except that we putting our boots on the ground over there and interfering in their political process gives them the reason to join together and war on us.

A war on Islam is a endless unwinable war.We are not dealing with a country like WW2 Japan or Germany that has a airforce,navy and army that can conquer the world ....come on!!How can you eliminate guerilla fighters?..you can't.

We are going to destroy ourselves,guerilla fighters divided by a ocean from us won't.

And American's have got to stop thinking our lifestyle is so great that everybody else must want it to....they don't.There are many great things about America and alot of of people around the world admire us for some things but that doesn't mean they can be like us.If they want to let them decide and do a revolution for themselves.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:05 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARefugee View Post
Knowing all I know now, I can't really say I can blame someone if they want to kill Americans. This kind of thing is common, but it might be news to some people here:
The twilight zone / 'Now you are paralyzed, as we promised' - Haaretz - Israel News
It doesn't matter if you do or don't understand "why" they kill Americans. If you're on a football team, you don't run back to the quarterback and say "I can understand why they tackled that guy. Maybe we should stop playing offense."

Whether you agree or disagree with our foreign policy, the reality is that you and I and every other American is in this together. Today, the government carries out the foreign policy that I approve of because we're in the majority. Tomorrow, you'll have the majority and whether I like it or not, I'm not going to run my mouth to outsiders about how I disagree.

Think of what you're doing like this: If your mother cheated on your father, running out front and yelling to all the neighbors what your mother did would make your family look bad, right? It's the same way with your country-- we disagree, but we speak about it between each other, privately.

Discussing this crap indiscriminantly is bad for America because it gives outsiders the impression that we're not committed to America, but committed to our own beliefs first.

That's why "descent is unpatriotic."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies